Spinergy front axle not centered, cog rubs on frame...

Old February 2nd 04, 01:31 AM
Glen Hendry

Default Spinergy front axle not centered, cog rubs on frame...

Hi All,

A buddy shipped me his old Spinergy RevX wheels and I am trying to get
them to fit on my bike. I have old 8 spd Dura-Ace and so did he. I
have three problems :

1) The front wheel axle is not centered. There is a circlip holding
the sealed bearing in one side but its missing on the other and the
sealed bearing seems to be sitting out (not flush) from the hub body.
Assuming I can get another circlip and get the bearing back in the hub
body, how do I adjust the axle so that it is centered again. I hope
the shipping didnt damage it all ?

2) The back wheel when sitting in the frame, has the bottom 12 tooth
cog rubbing on the frame near the drop out. The cogset seems to be
not Shimano and not Campag, (maybe Sachs ?) and the bottom cog seems
to have a bigger profile than the Dura-Ace HG Cassette. Will my 8spd
HG Dura-Ace cassette from my normal wheels go onto whatever is
underneath the Spinergy cogset ? Im sure I need a special tool to get
the cassette assembly off, as my Shimano tools dont fit. I fear the
whole cogset and freewheel system may be a screw on type like the only
UG shimano before the cassette hubs came out.

3) The back axle is slightly bent, when I spin the axle from the
non-cog side, the other end of the axle seems to be bent slightly. Is
it easy to get a new axle for these wheels ? Do I need a special one
from Spinergy ?

Thanks for any help whatsoever...
Glen
Old February 3rd 04, 01:26 AM
Glen Hendry

Come on guys, any idea why a cassette cog should rub on my frame even
though the wheel appears correctly dished ? If I move the axle
through the hub body further to make room between frame and bottom
cog, then I screw the dishing of the wheel ?

My frame is 54cm oversized aluminium, and I have had no troubles with
my standard Dura-Ace 32 hole wheels at all. Unfortunately I dont know
what brand
the frame is as I bought it second hand without labels.

And had anyone popped the sealed bearing units out of the front wheel
on these spinergys ? Do I need any special tools or just drift it out
grently with a rubber mallet.

Thanks again
Glen

Old February 3rd 04, 01:54 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

ghendry- Come on guys, any idea why a cassette cog should rub on my frame
even
though the wheel appears correctly dished ? BRBR

These wheels had a Campagnolo axle and shimano axle. Perhaps you have the
shimano freehub and a Campagnolo axle. That would goon things up.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Fractured front cog? Badger_South General 9 July 6th 04 11:16 AM
Fractured front cog? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Mountain Biking 3 July 5th 04 08:42 PM
Is it better to upgrade the components on my 10 yr old frame, orbuy a new bike? Paul Mountain Biking 9 May 30th 04 11:50 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
"Urbanite" steel touring or hybrid frame - any happy owners? mark freedman General 2 July 14th 03 12:41 AM