Back problems

Old July 7th 09, 12:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Caulfield Man

Default Back problems

On 6/30/2009 4:18 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:41:52 +1000
bristannone wrote:
I had a skinny tyre rigid steel framed road bike which eventually gave me a
sore neck and tendonitis in the elbows every time I rode it
When I changed to a quality dual suspension mtb the pain went away . (Took a
while for the tendonitis to heal tho)
Go plush for older bones.

I've got a reasonably skinny tyred all steel bike.

VEry comfortable and plush indeed.

If comfort is what you are after, go 'bent!

http://www.bacchettablog.com/news/jo...-cycling-again

"The adaptation process from riding uprights to recumbents was not
easy for me. I struggled at first but gradually kept improving. I
worked my way through the Randonneur events one at a time. I managed
to complete my fourth full series finishing the 600k just this past
weekend. I feel much more comfortable on the bike and have actually
come to enjoy the advantages of recumbent riding. I continue to ride
with the same group of friends as I always have. They were very
accepting of the new bike and have been very patient during the
changeover process. Although there are some trade-offs involved, the
recumbent is undeniably more comfortable to ride than anything else
I've ever had. My body has healed from the years of abuse I
heaped on it riding stiff bikes with even stiffer saddles. I love
cycling again. It's almost all I think about."

Well.. you didn't think I'd keep quiet on this thread did you?

Zebee

Is it possible to rent a recumbent in order to try one out?

Old July 7th 09, 12:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 21:02:08 +1000
Caulfield Man wrote:

Is it possible to rent a recumbent in order to try one out?

No idea.

Flying Furniture in Canberra gave me a long test ride, it is
possible Trisled in Melb might do the same.

I also contacted ozhpv.org and asked on their mailing list if any of
their members would be willing to let me try a 'bent and got several
offers.

THat latter's probably your best bet, most 'bent riders are
eveangelical.

Do note that 'bents come in a very wide range of types. High and low,
long wheelbase, short wheelbase, set up like racers, set up like
tourers. They feel different from each other and ride differently.

Zebee
Old September 3rd 09, 01:43 PM
BCA BCA is offline
Junior Member

I always suffer from sore backs after long rides, but I think it's because of my bike being slightly too long, although I might need to stretch out a bit more before riding. Who knows. Do you know if the bike is the right size for you? I've made a few tweaks to my bike which have helped.

Back problems Monocyclist Unicycling 5 September 18th 06 02:33 AM
Back problems from unicycling? edsbelly Unicycling 11 August 20th 06 02:48 AM
Full suspension and back problems....... Kamino Off Road 0 December 25th 04 09:06 PM
Cycling with back problems Vivian UK 41 August 28th 04 11:18 AM
back problems dubmuni2004 Unicycling 4 May 16th 04 10:56 AM