Can you win the TdF if you TT like a Fred?

Old June 21st 11, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]

Default Can you win the TdF if you TT like a Fred?

ilan wrote:
be inconceivable for them to change their whole riding style. The
Schlecks may become the paroxysm now that they are running their own
team.

I did not know its meaning and had to look it up. So, while I am not a
great expert on the correct use of the word paroxysm, I ask: did you
mean paragon? To me that seems to fit better. Anyway, not first use.
Old June 21st 11, 09:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

On Jun 21, 6:56*am, "A. Dumas" wrote:
ilan wrote:
be inconceivable for them to change their whole riding style. The
Schlecks may become the paroxysm now that they are running their own
team.

I did not know its meaning and had to look it up. So, while I am not a
great expert on the correct use of the word paroxysm, I ask: did you
mean paragon? To me that seems to fit better. Anyway, not first use.

Thanks, paroxysm worked by keeping the reader's attention. I would
have tried to use "avatar" but it has changed its meaning in recent
years.

-ilan

Old June 21st 11, 10:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Brad Anders wrote:
Plus that atrocious pink fork. When I saw that poke into the frame, I knew he
was going to get his ass kicked.

Pink forks are too gay to explode.
Old June 21st 11, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jun 21, 12:56*am, "A. Dumas" wrote:
ilan wrote:

be inconceivable for them to change their whole riding style. The
Schlecks may become the paroxysm now that they are running their own
team.

I did not know its meaning and had to look it up. So, while I am not a
great expert on the correct use of the word paroxysm, I ask: did you
mean paragon? To me that seems to fit better. Anyway, not first use.

Maybe he meant paradigm?

Old June 21st 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Bucephalus Birchmore

I checked - no cyclists named Fred have ever won the Tour de France.
Old June 21st 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

On Jun 21, 6:56*am, "A. Dumas" wrote:
ilan wrote:
be inconceivable for them to change their whole riding style. The
Schlecks may become the paroxysm now that they are running their own
team.

I did not know its meaning and had to look it up. So, while I am not a
great expert on the correct use of the word paroxysm, I ask: did you
mean paragon? To me that seems to fit better. Anyway, not first use.

Looks like I used the French meaning which is appropriate but doesn't
carry over into English: "Le plus haut degré d'un phénomène :
L'incendie était à son paroxysme" .http://www.larousse.com/en/
dictionnaires/francais/paroxysme

-ilan
Old June 21st 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]

ilan wrote:
On Jun 21, 6:56 am, "A. Dumas" wrote:
ilan wrote:
be inconceivable for them to change their whole riding style. The
Schlecks may become the paroxysm now that they are running their own
team.

I did not know its meaning and had to look it up. So, while I am not a
great expert on the correct use of the word paroxysm, I ask: did you
mean paragon? To me that seems to fit better. Anyway, not first use.

Looks like I used the French meaning which is appropriate but doesn't
carry over into English: "Le plus haut degré d'un phénomène :
L'incendie était Ã* son paroxysme" .http://www.larousse.com/en/
dictionnaires/francais/paroxysme

Ah right, thanks.
Old June 21st 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
ilan wrote:

On Jun 21, 6:56Â*am, "A. Dumas" wrote:
ilan wrote:
be inconceivable for them to change their whole riding style. The
Schlecks may become the paroxysm now that they are running their own
team.

I did not know its meaning and had to look it up. So, while I am not a
great expert on the correct use of the word paroxysm, I ask: did you
mean paragon? To me that seems to fit better. Anyway, not first use.

Looks like I used the French meaning which is appropriate but doesn't
carry over into English: "Le plus haut degré d'un phénomène :
L'incendie était Ã* son paroxysme" .http://www.larousse.com/en/
dictionnaires/francais/paroxysme

An etymological dictionary of English tells me
that oxygen has the same root.

3. Paroxysm derives from Medieval French-French
paroxysme, itself perhaps via Medieval Latin from
Medical Greek paroxusmos, from paroxunein, to irritate,
literally to sharpen excessively: para, beyond+oxunein,
to sharpen, from oxus, sharp.

Paragraph 1 for oxygen.
1. French oxygène (Lavoisier, 1786): oxy, from Greek
oxus, sharp, pungent, acid+the element -gène.

--
Old Fritz
Old June 21st 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Frederick the Great wrote:
Paragraph 1 for oxygen.
1. French oxygène (Lavoisier, 1786): oxy, from Greek
oxus, sharp, pungent, acid+the element -gène.

Although Lavoisier nationalized the discovery.
http://acswebcontent.acs.org/landmarks/landmarks/priestley/index.html

Lavoisier had a point though, dephlogisticated air doesn't sound as cool
as oxygen, if anything it sounds like someone air full of snot globules.
Old June 21st 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

On Jun 21, 9:24*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,

*ilan wrote:
On Jun 21, 6:56*am, "A. Dumas" wrote:
ilan wrote:
[...]

A good way to figure out such words is to translate to German:
Sauerstoff, since they decided to ditch dead roots. Unfortunately, it
seems to fail for oxymoron.

-ilan

What a Fred! Ryan Cousineau Racing 15 October 2nd 09 09:56 PM
Der fred cfsmtb[_478_] Australia 7 October 19th 07 02:05 PM
Cherry Blossom[Fred] (Ride-A-Lot[fred]), nice winkys on your bike! LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 1 August 1st 07 04:12 AM
Well der fred.. cfsmtb Australia 2 June 28th 06 12:54 AM
Fred? M Powell General 12 July 7th 04 11:32 PM