Nederlander low gear innovation

Old February 13th 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Nederlander low gear innovation

We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 13th 20, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 2:35:48 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I have had experience with those SRAM cranks and aside from the cranks being pf extremely poor quality, gearing like that is impossible to use since your speed in low gear would be far too low to be able to remain upright.
Old February 14th 20, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:35:48 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/

So that's instead of just having two chainrings? Um... why?

- Frank Krygowski

Old February 14th 20, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 20:52:06 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:35:48 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/

So that's instead of just having two chainrings? Um... why?

- Frank Krygowski

Frank, you are old enough to remember the advent of the 10 speed,
English Racing Bike, way back there in pre-recorded history. Well, as
the article explains history has revived the ten speed... albeit for a
bit more money :-)

( Who says that the add guys aren't doing their job? :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 14th 20, 11:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:52:08 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:35:48 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/

So that's instead of just having two chainrings? Um... why?

- Frank Krygowski

Why? To get rid of the FD and front shifter and avoiding to shift front and back in critical race situations. Some people think they can benefit from it.

Lou
Old February 14th 20, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:04:34 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:52:08 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:35:48 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/

So that's instead of just having two chainrings? Um... why?

- Frank Krygowski

Why? To get rid of the FD and front shifter and avoiding to shift front and back in critical race situations. Some people think they can benefit from it.

They have been hypnotized by clever marketing -- although 1X has clearly trickled-down too far with some low-end 1X gravel bikes that will see very little gravel riding. They will just be road bikes with big steps between gears and a ridiculously low-low. My gravel bike gets ridden on a lot of road before I get to the gravel, and I like having two rings and a road-ish gear range with a moderately low low-gear.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 14th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:19:19 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I can image 1X11 for my aeroad. On that bike I'm never in the small chainring (36T) here on the flats and that bike never sees any serious mountains. For a gravel bike 1x11 seems a poor choice in my opinion. My gravel bike will have a normal 50-34T compact road crankset and I declined the suggested 11-34T cassette. I will put a 14-28T (14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-23-25-28 t) cassette on it. I hate big jumps so this is is a great gearing for me around here. If I plan to go wall climbing I will put a 11-34 cassette on and live with the big jumps and the never used 11-12t sprockets.

Lou
Old February 14th 20, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/14/2020 5:04 AM, wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:52:08 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:35:48 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/

So that's instead of just having two chainrings? Um... why?

- Frank Krygowski

Why? To get rid of the FD and front shifter and avoiding to shift front and back in critical race situations. Some people think they can benefit from it.

Oh. Now I remember! If some people _think_ they can benefit from it,
we're not allowed to discuss what anyone else may think.

IOW, comparison of real benefits and detriments is strongly discouraged
here.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 14th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:50:01 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/14/2020 5:04 AM, wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:52:08 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:35:48 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
We usually advise 'follow manufacturer's directions' but in
this case a clever exception shows some promise:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/07/how...ullet-gearing/

So that's instead of just having two chainrings? Um... why?

- Frank Krygowski

Why? To get rid of the FD and front shifter and avoiding to shift front and back in critical race situations. Some people think they can benefit from it.

Oh. Now I remember! If some people _think_ they can benefit from it,
we're not allowed to discuss what anyone else may think.

IOW, comparison of real benefits and detriments is strongly discouraged
here.

--
- Frank Krygowski

He don't shoot the messenger. You asked a question I tried to answer politely. If it has no benefit for you don't buy a 1x11/12 set up. For me it has no benefit so I stay with 2x11 set ups. Why do you say 'if some people 'think' they can benefits from it'. Are you saying that they lie if they say so?

Lou
Old February 14th 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

That's what you get for trying to "discuss" it with someone who is just
trolling. Otherwise he would have realized that you answered his
question to begin with. To avoid shifting the front derailleur in
critical race conditions. Could be an important consideration for some
people.