Tube patches and Tom K.

Old March 7th 20, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Tube patches and Tom K.

On 3/7/2020 10:36 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2020 9:48 PM, pH wrote:

Gad, that was a horrible day. My wife and I were
long-distance touring and while
we each had two spare tubes (and one tire) each for some
reason I had to do a patch (I always like to immediately
patch and return a tube to service, hence my Jobst comment.)

Anyway...I think it was in Pennsylvania. For whatever
reason we had a real tough time there. For instance,
someone would pass us in h is car, no oncoming traffic, no
problem whatsoever, yet still display an obscene gesture
at us out the window as they did so. I've never been a
Forrester "take the laner" and always rode as far to the
right as practicable, even possible.
It was really demoralizing and we were very happy to leave
that state.

That's odd. I'm close to Pennsylvania and ride there at
least once a week. I've ridden all the way across at least
twice and I've never had a problem.

It reminds me of our coast to coast. I was self-navigating
across Iowa, using just ordinary road maps. Iowa highways
seemed to almost never have rideable shoulders (they used
loose gravel instead) so there were countless times we had
motorists (including long haul truckers) waiting behind us
until it was safe to pass, with never a hostile word or
gesture. I was heartily impressed by everyone's patience. I
thought it might be because of the state's experience with
RAGBRAI.

And we got the same kind treatment by everyone - waiters and
customers in restaurants, B&B owners, motel clerks, etc. We
thought "What a pleasant state!"

A couple years later I was at a lecture by a guy talking
about his coast to coast ride. He said when he and his
friend got to Iowa, the drivers were so rude and aggressive
that he immediately changed his route to get out of Iowa
ASAP. :-/

What PA needs is lane stripes according to this:
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/phila...day-identified

Or maybe PA needs firearm confiscation for safer cycling:
https://6abc.com/man-21-shot-and-kil...logan/3498215/

Perhaps a PA law against street racing?
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/levit...hit-run-police

I believe pH and I believe you too, Frank. But neither
report, nor my reports above, fully describe a large place
like Pennsylvania, especially not over time.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 7th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, March 6, 2020 at 3:39:15 PM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 05 Mar 2020 18:31:39 -0800, pH wrote:

I had my front tube out today and dunked in a bucket of water trying to
find a slow leak. (4 days from pumped up to un-usable) My least
favourite hole to find.

You have not lived until you have been alongside a busy highway in the
rain trying to locate a hole to patch so you can continue on your way.
Your spares for some reason or another are unusable, there's so much
traffic you can't hear the leak. The rain makes it hard to feel..the
way I found was to way overpump the tube and try to feel the stream of
air on my cheek.

Try using your upper lip. I find that works better, even if you have a
caterpillar.

Then don't lose the hole location in the dark as you
try to dry it enough to patch.....

BTDT and decide that carry a spare and tools was far less work in
inclement weather.

Anyway...5 patches on the front tube. 12 on the back last I checked.
How many patches do you guys get up to before you toss the tube?

Wow, never had that many on a tube. It is a judgement based on the tubes
effectiveness to work as a tube. Sometime punctures are too close
together so they can not be patched properly and the tube splits

Also, Jobst always said you had to let the patch cure overnight...I've
never bothered and for the most part have never had a problem.

Likewise. If it is going to take, then it takes.

I am quite sure that pH knows how to look for a leak in an innertube.
Old March 7th 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, March 6, 2020 at 6:57:41 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, March 6, 2020 at 5:00:12 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 15:23:57 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 6:31:42 PM UTC-8, pH wrote:
I had my front tube out today and dunked in a bucket of water trying to find a slow leak. (4 days from pumped up to un-usable) My least favourite hole to find.

You have not lived until you have been alongside a busy highway in the rain trying to locate a hole to patch so you can continue on your way. Your spares for some reason or another are unusable, there's so much traffic you can't hear the leak. The rain makes it hard to feel..the way I found was to way overpump the tube and try to feel the stream of air on my cheek.. Then don't lose the hole location in the dark as you try to dry it enough to patch.....

Anyway...5 patches on the front tube. 12 on the back last I checked..
How many patches do you guys get up to before you toss the tube?

Also, Jobst always said you had to let the patch cure overnight...I've never bothered and for the most part have never had a problem.

On to Tom K.
Of course he's right that the off-topic stuff really doesn't belong on .tech.
Probably .soc would be okay.

The thing is, the usage is so low these days, I really don't mind. I enjoy the back and forth and exchange of ideas as long as they don't get too mean-spirited
(well....it's usenet....so...).

I'll try to move things to .soc when I go off topic. Right now Joy is single-handedly keeping that group alive. Huzzah for Joy!

pH in Aptos

I have a difficult time even thinking about .soc. It would attract people like John who thinks that he can hit the black with open sights with an M1A1 Carbine. Then he wants to tell me when I served in the AF and was in Vietnam.

You "were in Vietnam"? and where were you stationed in Vietnam? Oh,
that's right, you were never stationed in Vietnam you were nearly
3,000 miles away on Guam. But no problem, you claim to have been a
member of a B-52 wing dodging missiles over N. Vietnam...

So tell us, were you a member of a "lead crew" getting all that extra
money? And what was your position in the crew? You have told us that
you sat in the A.C.'s seat while he took a crap - strange that a good
friend was an EWO on a Lead Crew and never mentioned an enlisted man
who sat in the A.C.'s seat when he was on the can.

And, I might add, I was around B-52 operations for a number of years
and knew a great many people on B-52 crews and I never heard of a "can
sitter". Was that some sort of secret position?
--
cheers,

John B.

I saw where you engaged "Ed Dolan the Great" over on .soc.
You never were able to get him to go past epitaphs and insults and actually say
anything. Made me wonder he was in early-stage dementia or was perhaps a 'bot'.

There is also a guy named Mike Vandeman who you might have enjoyed attempting
to converse with--I would have like to see it, anyway.
I put a link to his stuff on .soc. Seems he's still around.

In a nutshell he thinks that one should only walk when off-pavement AND
he thinks everyone must obey his opinion.
Made for some amazing exhanges.

pH

I'm pretty sure that Mike Vandeman rode with a group I would ride with and he was actually a pretty pleasant guy.

I think that it is part of the mental twisting where you cannot converse directly that makes people like Frank or John. And while I was recovering from my concussion I'm pretty sure I was even worse than they are. Dollars to donuts that Frank is a nice guy. I wouldn't even begin to think that about John who is so clearly an inveterate liar. I have a medal from the AF that says that I was in the Vietnam conflict war zone and so am VFW and he wants to argue that simply flying over North Vietnam and dropping bombs while SAM's are bursting around you isn't a war zone. He isn't playing with a full deck.
Old March 7th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-03-05 18:31, pH wrote:
I had my front tube out today and dunked in a bucket of water trying
to find a slow leak. (4 days from pumped up to un-usable) My least
favourite hole to find.

You have not lived until you have been alongside a busy highway in
the rain trying to locate a hole to patch so you can continue on your
way. Your spares for some reason or another are unusable, there's so
much traffic you can't hear the leak. The rain makes it hard to
feel..the way I found was to way overpump the tube and try to feel
the stream of air on my cheek. Then don't lose the hole location in
the dark as you try to dry it enough to patch.....

Carry a spare tube? I always do.

Anyway...5 patches on the front tube. 12 on the back last I
checked. How many patches do you guys get up to before you toss the
tube?

Zero. I use thick thorn-resistant tubes plus Mr.Tuffy tire liners on the
road bike as well as the MTB. No more flats.

Thorn-resistant tubes can't really be patched. I had one of them develop
a small slit when another one of those #@%^!! Gatorskins blew its
sidewall. The rubber of the tube is so thick that it seems to massage
the thin patch to death. I switched from Gatorskin to Vittoria Zaffiro.
Saves me a lot of money and no more sidewall blow-outs, so far.

I am still carrying a normal and thus thin spare tube on both bikes but
that's mostly for other riders. I've never needed that for myself in
many years.

It is very liberating to be able to predict that you'll be there in 2h
and 40mins and not 2h 40mins plus whatever it takes to fix a flat.
Ideally I want my bicycles to be as reliable as my car.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 8th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 07 Mar 2020 12:28:28 -0800, Joerg wrote:

On 2020-03-05 18:31, pH wrote:
[...]

I always used the thermal patches for cars/truckes. Better thickness then
standard bicyce patches, but they are still a bit lighter.

Old March 8th 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

You have a "Medal"... please confide with us what medal? An Air Medal?
A Distinguished Flying Cross? Congressional Medal? Tell us...

Or is it simply a "service ribbon" which was given to practically
everyone who was in that corner of the globe.

I've got a number of those things, three rows of them in fact by the
time I retired. "Service Ribbons" they were called and simply meant
that you were there, then.

And, I have asked you about what position on a B-52 crew you filled
-flying over N. Vietnam with "the bombs bursting in Air", and you
never answered.

Or were you a tail gunner? The only enlisted member of a B-52 crew and
you have never told us that you are commissioned.

Or you simply lying.... again?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 8th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

He also booby trapped trails used by MTB riders. I believe he was finally caught, charged and sentenced. Is he out again?

Cheers

That was some years ago wasn't it? I remember reading a news bite
about him - he attacked some bicycle riders with a saw, or something
like that. Then when it got into court the bike riders told such
conflicting stories that the trial was suspended, or something, and
there was to be a re-trial. and then I never read any more about him.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 8th 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/7/2020 12:29 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/7/2020 10:36 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2020 9:48 PM, pH wrote:

Gad, that was a horrible day.Â* My wife and I were
long-distance touring and while
we each had two spare tubes (and one tire) each for some
reason I had to do a patch (I always like to immediately
patch and return a tube to service, hence my Jobst comment.)

Anyway...I think it was in Pennsylvania.Â* For whatever
reason we had a real tough time there.Â* For instance,
someone would pass us in h is car, no oncoming traffic, no
problem whatsoever, yet still display an obscene gesture
at us out the window as they did so.Â*Â* I've never been a
[...]

ASAP.Â*Â* :-/

What PA needs is lane stripes according to this:
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/phila...day-identified

Sounds like a classic right hook. The article I wrote for our bike
club's newsletter this month warns against that. People in bike lanes
right straight through intersections while being to the right of a
vehicle that's turning right across their path.

That lane configuration is never permitted for motor vehicles; yet it's
the default for bike lanes.

Don't let the paint think for you.

Or maybe PA needs firearm confiscation for safer cycling:
https://6abc.com/man-21-shot-and-kil...logan/3498215/

That would probably help. You pointed to yet another of the 35,000 gun
deaths per year. The bike is a mere detail.

Perhaps a PA law against street racing?
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/levit...hit-run-police

Good idea. And strictly enforced - as in, do that, lose your license for
life. Driving is a privilege. If you screw up that badly, lose that
privilege.

I believe pH and I believe you too, Frank. But neither report, nor my
reports above, fully describe a large place like Pennsylvania,
especially not over time.

Agreed.

--
- Frank Krygowski

What Is the Tacky Coating On Inner Tube Patches? Bret Cahill UK 2 October 28th 17 04:20 AM
Tube patches Mint[_2_] Social Issues 3 September 9th 09 03:10 AM
Was anyone looking for bulk tube patches? BT Humble Australia 3 April 4th 08 06:09 AM
How many patches per tube? dgk General 22 April 8th 07 10:49 AM
Tube Patches (the glue on kind) maximus unius Unicycling 4 March 4th 07 06:49 PM