Gang of bicyclists block streets, cause mayhem in Fremont, CA

Old January 29th 20, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

Default Gang of bicyclists block streets, cause mayhem in Fremont, CA

From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

Apologies to the guy who can't read the articles w/o interference, but here's
the link:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...ts-of-fremont/

While I'm glad to see that there are still kids out there riding their bikes,
I am kind of dismayed to see this going on. The degree of planning and organization required to get 50+ bikes out there. Perhaps it's one of those
"flash mobs" or maybe someone said the word "h*lmet" to them.....that'd do it!

pH in Aptos
Old January 29th 20, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...ts-of-fremont/

San Leandro PD quote, "What’s hard about it, especially for juveniles, is
these are misdemeanors or infractions, so they don't get a lot of penalties
for this activity." Say again??

Good Lord, if we don't throw these criminals in jail for life now, they
might soon wear leather jackets, ride motorbikes, behave unpredictably to
our Tesla autopilot systems!!

While I'm glad to see that there are still kids out there riding their
bikes, I am kind of dismayed to see this going on. The degree of
planning and organization required to get 50+ bikes out there.

Smartphones, and bicycles! A novel, sophisticated, lean and mean guerilla
tactic the cruiser-driving mindset at San Leandro PD just cannot match.

Perhaps
it's one of those "flash mobs" or maybe someone said the word "h*lmet" to
them.....that'd do it!

Nope, different demographic clearly indicated by a complete lack of educated
statements from the group's spokesperson. And too little weed per capita
for a regular, green-khmer usurped, Critical Mass gone wild. The major
mistake those youths made was not calling their acting out, "a spontaneous
student demonstration against White-Man Made CO2's Global Warming."

--
Mercury News bot:
"Without traffic-impeding cyclists, Corona epidemic, Kobe Bryant might still
Old January 29th 20, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 3:08:27 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

[...]

A group of bicyclists were just stopped at a stoplight across from Facebook.. The cops said that they had to walk their bikes across the pedestrian crosswalk and not ride. This is directly contrary to the actual DMV laws but never let anything around Facebook be said to favor equal application of the laws.
Old January 29th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 3:08:27 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

[...]

Tom, I’m having some difficulty in understanding the words you wrote above.
Are you saying that:

A) Facebook coerced the local constabulary into enforcing traffic laws
differently around their HQ.

B) Facebook is like the Vatican and has its own laws and law enforcement.

C) Akin to Steve Jobs’ “reality distortion field”, everything is a bit
weird around Facebook HQ.

D) This had nothing at all to do with Facebook other than that’s where you
found a misinformed cop.

E) The cyclists were actually riding IN the crosswalk, as opposed to being
on the road, and the cop was right.

Old January 30th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 9:42:53 PM UTC, Ralph Barone wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 3:08:27 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

[...]

That's what makes these subtly nuanced communications from Tom so interesting -- but at the same time beyond the railroad minds who got they tickets punched at American engineering schools. You need a relaxed mental attitude to sink into the image of California -- and, worse, San Frrancisco -- today that he is painting step by step. Hasn't weed been legalised in your community yet? Get a scrip for medical maryjane from a friendly pill pusher and you too will understand just fine.

Andre Jute
I loved California when I worked at Paramount but Tom is serving daily notice that I won't like the current "reality disconnect".
Old January 31st 20, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/28/2020 9:40 PM, pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

Apologies to the guy who can't read the articles w/o interference, but here's
the link:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...ts-of-fremont/

While I'm glad to see that there are still kids out there riding their bikes,
I am kind of dismayed to see this going on. The degree of planning and organization required to get 50+ bikes out there. Perhaps it's one of those
"flash mobs" or maybe someone said the word "h*lmet" to them.....that'd do it!

pH in Aptos

I used to have a consulting gig in Fremont, about a year and a half ago,
and there are a lot of issues. I was leaving work very late on a
Saturday night, and encountered a side show on a major street in an
industrial park. Scarier than kids on bikes.
Old February 1st 20, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 5:14:02 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/28/2020 9:40 PM, pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

Apologies to the guy who can't read the articles w/o interference, but here's
the link:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...ts-of-fremont/

While I'm glad to see that there are still kids out there riding their bikes,
I am kind of dismayed to see this going on. The degree of planning and organization required to get 50+ bikes out there. Perhaps it's one of those
"flash mobs" or maybe someone said the word "h*lmet" to them.....that'd do it!

pH in Aptos

I used to have a consulting gig in Fremont, about a year and a half ago,
and there are a lot of issues. I was leaving work very late on a
Saturday night, and encountered a side show on a major street in an
industrial park. Scarier than kids on bikes.

I just discover that among the other jobs I had while awaiting to be employed as an engineer again, I was an electrician as well. I was wondering why I kept getting job offers from electrical contractors.

So let's see - research scientist, electronics engineer, electrician, (maybe an electrical engineer considering the distaste I have for some kinds of house wiring - I don't think that there should be single strand wiring used in a house nor that any wires should run outside of conduit and aluminum wiring has to have individual breakers because you can over-current and melt and start a fire with aluminum wiring very easy. Multi-strand copper wire should all have butt splice connects.) electronics technician, very high voltage engineer, BART technician, Commercial aircraft recovery technician, private phone installation company, firmware programmer, software programmer in 5 languages, not to mention, AMA professional mechanic, safety director for the AFM, watch captain and navigator on ocean sailing sailboats, bicyclist etc.

Perhaps you guys think I'm bragging about this but in fact every time I discover something else about my past I am shocked. This is what a concussion does to you and why you really want to avoid them. Do you have any idea what it's like to find a note pad that says "From the Desk of Thomas Kunich"? Or business cards that say you are a department manager? Or Principle Engineer for a company? And not be able to remember doing any of that? Finding check stubs for a job you did as a consultant that paid you a quarter of a million dollars a year?

All of my musical instruments are gone except for an acoustic guitar my brother made. He made quite a few but the one he gave me is too heavy. It has perfect tone balance but no volume as it would if the surfaces were shaved down like a violin maker would. But then you would also have to know about wood and which kind splits as it dries over time. And the proper finish that doesn't disturb the sound or allow the wood to dry too rapidly. Tell me, how the hell do I know that? I had the most expensive electric guitars and basses in the world. Where are they? I used to handload ammunition and had a large collection of guns - what happened to them as well? I still have a box of many different calibers and somewhere I learned that I had two .357 revolvers, two .38 Police Specials (one of which I still have since it was my father's) several calibers of rifles and shotguns and over and under 20 gauge under .22 LR. A .22 LR long range match rifle, a Winchester 30-30 that had been my father's - all gone to the four winds and my brother says that he made me sell them all to the gun shop because he was afraid I might commit suicide. Since I can't remember anything about that time in a trance I couldn't testify to my state of mind.

Frank doesn't think he needs a helmet. I would agree with him for the original design using Styrofoam. But the Trek helmet and several others under development are actually protective and while Frank might not fall down he could easily be knocked off of his bike by any number of causes. And I much rather he was here to argue and call names than otherwise.
Old February 1st 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 1:42:53 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 3:08:27 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

[...]

A) Yes, the Facebook campus is HUGE and has thousands of employees there. The parking lots interface with several roads and so the local school children will often take a short but through Facebook parking lots. The Facebook employees travel across the Dumbarton Bridge and the second light is Willow to the left and the Facebook driveway past the crosswalk on the right. Facebook Employees run that light all the time and the local Fuzz do not issue tickets for that.

B) Not on the adjoining public roads.

C) Jobs brought about the idea that money is political power. Now successful Silicon Valley companies flex those political muscles as a matter of course. Employees are often fired for making conservative comments not just at work but on other social media totally unrelated to the companies they work for. Facebook has been sued for this several times. Even Microsoft employees say that they are afraid to wear a MAGA cap into the parking lot in Renton.

D) No, there were several cops all spouting the same story. And several citations issued.

E) You are misinformed if you believe that you may not ride a bicycle in a cross walk.

No worries though, the group they ticketed are friends with the group I ride with and we have an entire cadre of bicycle activists that among other things have gotten the bike lanes put in all over California with letters to the Highway Traffic Safety Board. They have also gotten the entire downtown section of Market St. in San Francisco made off-limits to private auto traffic. Bikes, City transportation and delivery trucks only. They have already assigned a lawyer to appear in court with the ticketed people and inform the locals of their mistake. Knowing these guys they may even demand pay for their time in court.
Old February 1st 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 3:08:27 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
pH wrote:
From the San Jose Mercury News of 28 Jan 1990-30 (2020).

[...]

Demand payment from whom? Court ordered attorney's fees for
a successful defense on an ordinance violation? Even in
California I think that's a real stretch.

Then again, California.
(I am not an attorney, JMHO)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Sustainable (Complete) Streets film: Transforming NYC Streets Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 0 October 29th 08 03:44 AM
Sustainable (Complete) Streets film: Transforming NYC Streets Mike Vandeman Social Issues 0 October 29th 08 03:44 AM
I saw you in Fremont thejdw Unicycling 3 January 29th 07 11:45 PM
I saw you in Fremont ezraaspland Unicycling 0 January 29th 07 07:36 AM
I saw you in Fremont onetrack Unicycling 4 January 29th 07 07:22 AM