WOT (Way off topic)

Old January 21st 20, 11:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default WOT (Way off topic)

Can anyone here give me an English translation of the German word, "Vogelsang"?

Thanks
Old January 21st 20, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 11:30:26 AM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can anyone here give me an English translation of the German word, "Vogelsang"?

Thanks

Literally it is birdsong/bird singing. We need a context to let make sense.

Lou
Old January 21st 20, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can anyone here give me an English translation of the German word, "Vogelsang"?

Thanks

Bird song?

Old January 21st 20, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 06:08:25 UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 11:30:26 AM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can anyone here give me an English translation of the German word, "Vogelsang"?

Thanks

Literally it is birdsong/bird singing. We need a context to let make sense.

Lou

Hi Lou. Thank you very much for that. It's from a song I heard LANGE SCHATTEN.

The word "Vogelsang" is in this verse:

"Sie entsteigt der Morgenkühle,
Trägt das helle Licht empor,
Hüllt das Land in Nebelschwüle,
Vogelsang dringt an mein Ohr."

I have everything else translated except for that word "Vogelsang".

Cheers
Old January 21st 20, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 21-01-20 11:30, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can anyone here give me an English translation of the German word, "Vogelsang"?

Thanks

In Switzerland it's a very common place name, and also can be a family
name.If you look at the Swiss topographical map at
https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en and enter "Vogelsang" as a search term
you will get more than 30 locations with this name.

Note that birdsong is "Vogelgesang", not "Vogelsang".

Ned
Old January 21st 20, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 12:22:34 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 06:08:25 UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 11:30:26 AM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can anyone here give me an English translation of the German word, "Vogelsang"?

Thanks

Literally it is birdsong/bird singing. We need a context to let make sense.

Lou

Hi Lou. Thank you very much for that. It's from a song I heard LANGE SCHATTEN.

The word "Vogelsang" is in this verse:

"Sie entsteigt der Morgenkühle,
Trägt das helle Licht empor,
Hüllt das Land in Nebelschwüle,
Vogelsang dringt an mein Ohr."

I have everything else translated except for that word "Vogelsang".

Cheers

In this context it means the singing of the birds enter my ears.

Lou
Old January 21st 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 07:14:24 UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Thanks Lou. That is greatly appreciated. I really like the song.

Cheers
Old January 21st 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 02:30:24 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
Can anyone here give me an English translation of the German word,
"Vogelsang"?

Thanks

My best guess is "birdsong." Vogel = bird, IIRC.