OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

Old February 14th 20, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 10:10:13 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/13/2020 1:56 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:43:19 AM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Cheers

It seems that we are skipping winter over here. No snow, no icy roads or other inconvenience. The lowest temperatures up to now were just above freezing which is no problem for a 2-3 hour ride. This years counter is at almost 1300 km. The roads were wet a lot though so I had to cleaned my bikes often.

Got informed today why the frame of my new gravel bike is delayed. 'The finish of and around the bottom bracket shell was not according to manufacturer standards' and the frame didn't pass their quality control. I don't what that means but someone in Colorado f*cked up and has to do something over. Bummer...

I'm surprised someone in Europe is buying bikes from the U.S. How times
have changed!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Bikes? Just a frame and fork. A bike is an assembly of parts coming from all over the world. This bike will have parts coming from, lets see,
US, Italy, Japan, France, Switserland, Germany, UK. Assembled in NL.

Lou

Lou
Old February 14th 20, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, 14 February 2020 03:18:52 UTC-5, Roger Merriman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 18:24:10 UTC-5, Roger Merriman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 21:28:33 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/12/2020 6:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Sort of. Yesterday I used my folding bike for a short ride. Turns out
the Cateye wireless cyclometer didn't register any speed or distance..
I'm hoping it's just that the sending unit's battery needs replaced.

This has been a frequent irritation in cold weather. The 20" wheels and
the tall stem make the distance from sender to display unit fairly
large, but still within the supposed range, according to the manual. But
for years I'd have problems with lost radio contact if the temperature
dropped below 40 F.

Last year or the year before, I decided it was because the handlebar
itself blocked the signal to some degree. I fabricated a plastic mount
to hold the display unit in front of the handlebar. It seemed to be
working until yesterday's ride, which was right about freezing. I'll
change the sender battery and see if it helps.

But I'm at an age where I no longer enjoy riding much below 40 F. Today
I'm fighting off a sore throat, which has been my usual punishment for a
cold weather ride. :-(

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm really glad I'm comfortable riding when it's below freezing.
Otherwise I'd miss about 1/2 of the year riding here.

Batteries losing power when really cold is the main reason I'm staying
with an external battery pack headlight on my bikes.

Cheers

If anything surely a external should be more prone to cold since it’s
removed from most heat sources, though in practice the size of a external
should protect it, I have both systems and neither shows any effect which
is probably down to the size of the battery packs be they external or
internal.

The wee Garmin I use on the commute most definitely does get effected by
cold, as the temperature reduces to zero so the battery level drops, again
my older larger Garmin Touring is not noticeably effected by cold.

Roger Merriman

Nope. That's because with an external battery pack and the long cable I
get with them, I can carry the battery pack inside my jacket where the
battery stays nice and warm. I do t he same thing when I go into a store
= take the battery with me. Then when I come out I just plug the battery
back into the light and it works just like it does in warm weather.

Cheers

Does that not annoy you having the cable attached to you, I can get it if
it’s a helmet light, but if it’s on the bike the potential for tangling
would do my head in.

But people have their ways personally I can’t stand anything in my
jacket/top.

Roger Merriman

Nope. The cable runs along the top tube and then up into my jacket. There's also a quick connect on the cable near my jacket. I much prefer any slight inconvenience of having the battery inside my jacket instead of having the battery outside my jacket and getting so cold it loses a lot of its run time and leaves me riding in the dark. Since putting the battery inside the jacket on really cold nights I have a light that has the same run time in winter as it does in summer.

Cheers
Old February 14th 20, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/14/2020 12:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 13/02/2020 01:45, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/12/2020 5:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Cheers

Cleaning a 1970 Raleigh Competition (Carlton built)
frameset which is, basically, making black snot with emery
dust and elbow grease.

Applause Weinmann center pulls and everything 70's going
on to it?

We normally only see the frames here but yes he says it's
all original.

For those who like that sort of thing, befo
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/ral18c.jpg
after:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/ral18q.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 14th 20, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

OK, frame and fork. When I started riding as an adult, anyone wanting
top quality bought their frame and fork (if not the whole bike) from
Europe. Everyone knew that bikes made in the U.S. couldn't be any good.
We're in a different world now.

But seriously, was there a reason you didn't find a European
manufacturer? I'm just curious.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 14th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/14/2020 8:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 12:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 13/02/2020 01:45, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/12/2020 5:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Cheers

Cleaning a 1970 Raleigh Competition (Carlton built)
frameset which is, basically, making black snot with emery
dust and elbow grease.

ApplauseÂ* Weinmann center pulls and everything 70's going
on to it?

We normally only see the frames here but yes he says it's all original.

For those who like that sort of thing, befo
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/ral18c.jpg
after:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/ral18q.jpg

About brakes: Those were the long-arm center pull brakes that came
originally on my Raleigh Super Course. It also had a similar stamped
steel cable housing stop hanging from the headset. That part was pretty
flexible.

I always thought those brakes were weak. Eventually I replaced them with
Shimano cantilevers and a more rigid cable stop. Also, Kool-Stop salmon
pads. I like that setup much better. The Weinmann brakes are now on my
three speed.

But when the bike had those original brakes, I did loaded tours of
England (with some time in hilly Devon) and Scotland (including the
hills around Loch Ness) plus the Appalachians.

Separate question: Andrew, on my bike, the logos were hand lettered, not
decals. Do you do that in your shop?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 14th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

That was the time you had the choice of only one material: steel. That changed with titanium, aluminum and later CF.

But seriously, was there a reason you didn't find a European
manufacturer? I'm just curious.

Simple in Europe they don't make frames with that material with that quality and finish. Fortunately (in this case) the US is 'old fashioned' and still serving that niche market.

Lou

--
- Frank Krygowski

Old February 14th 20, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-02-13 22:50, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:15:58 -0800, Joerg

On 2020-02-12 15:43, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Does mounting a 700c 25mm front tire count? :-)

Only if you install the wheel on the bicycle :-)

And I am even going to ride it later today ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 14th 20, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

After trying to use a CO2 inflator at 30F (-2C) [1] I started carrying
the cartridges inside my jacket. It helped a lot.

The cold cartridge did about 40-60% the inflation that a warm cartridge
does. I talked to a physical chemist to try to figure out the exact
failure mechanism, we never came to a precise conclusion. Ideal gas law
doesn't account for this much drop in effectiveness.

[1] I had a minipump backup, so no disaster, but nowhere near as
convenient as the inflator.

Mark J.
Old February 14th 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/14/2020 10:36 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/14/2020 5:11 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 10:10:13 PM UTC+1, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Frank, when you were a wee lad we had Paramounts, as high a
quality handbuilt frame as anything on earth, as well as a
few exceptional custom builders such as Albert Eisentraut.

Admit it. You were a victim of the Euro fashion of the era.

p.s. We sell American made Waterford and Gunnar in Europe.
Small numbers, but not zero.

Old February 14th 20, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/14/2020 11:17 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

We do not ourselves. We hire it out to an artist; not cheap,
it's highly skilled labor.

Who did yours? Did you do it yourself?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Bicycling related I guess acalcium Australia 0 May 29th 05 05:54 AM
Cycling related Bill C Racing 1 April 17th 05 02:20 AM
My first SPD related fall saveacup UK 18 January 8th 05 11:05 AM
chain related? dreaded General 3 September 17th 04 03:53 AM
chain related? dreaded Techniques 4 September 13th 04 05:07 AM