Pedestrian and cyclist taken to Frimley Park Hospital following crashin Fleet

Old February 14th 20, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Pedestrian and cyclist taken to Frimley Park Hospital following crashin Fleet

Two for the price of one.
QUOTE:
A pedestrian and a cyclist have been taken to hospital after being hit by a car in Fleet High Street.

Hampshire Constabulary attended the incident in Fleet Road, just outside Travis Perkins, on Thursday afternoon (February 13) and two ambulance crews were sent to the scene.

The pedestrian and cyclist were treated by paramedics at the scene and were subsequently taken to Frimley Park Hospital- one with a head injury and the other with an arm injury.

A spokesman for South East Coast Ambulance Service said: "We were called at around 12.20pm on Thursday (February 13). We responded to two patients who were hit by a car in Fleet Road.

"Both patients were injured, but thankfully, nothing major. One sustained a relatively minor head injury and the other had a relatively minor arm injury.

"Both were treated at the scene before being taken to Frimley Park Hospital.." Fleet resident Steve Lawson walked past the scene of the accident on his way to Waitrose. He said the car reportedly hit the cyclist and then crashed into the barriers at Travis Perkins, injuring the pedestrian.

He said: "The first victim was flat out in the road not moving because he seemed to be entangled in his racing bicycle. He was being attended to by a passing first aider.

"The second man, a builder, was laying on the pavement outside Travis Perkins' front door with head injuries and blood coming from his wounds."

SurreyLive contacted Travis Perkins for more information, however they refused to comment.

A spokesman for Hampshire Constabulary said: "We were called at 12.25pm today (February 13) to a report of a collision involving a car, bicycle and pedestrian in Fleet Road, Fleet.

"Two people reported minor injuries and officers have attended the scene."

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/ham...-park-17744908
Old February 14th 20, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 14/02/2020 10:47, Simon Mason wrote:

He said: "The first victim was flat out in the road not moving
because he seemed to be entangled in his racing bicycle. He was being
attended to by a passing first aider.

"The second man, a builder, was laying on the pavement outside Travis
Perkins' front door with head injuries and blood coming from his
wounds."

Not surprising. Fleet is a very popular town for the elderly. A system
that relies on the applicant's honesty can't be a good way of extending
driving licences.
Old February 14th 20, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 14/02/2020 14:49, TMS320 wrote:
On 14/02/2020 10:47, Simon Mason wrote:

He said: "The first victim was flat out in the road not moving
because he seemed to be entangled in his racing bicycle. He was being
attended to by a passing first aider.

"The second man, a builder, was laying on the pavement outside Travis
Perkins' front door with head injuries and blood coming from his
wounds."

Not surprising. Fleet is a very popular town for the elderly. A system
that relies on the applicant's honesty can't be a good way of extending
driving licences.

Can you think of many transactions between the state and the citizen
which don't rely to some extent on the good faith of the citizen?

Even a passport application, though vetted more than most transactions,
ultimately relies upon the word of a person "of standing" who says they
know the applicant.
Old February 15th 20, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 14/02/2020 18:27, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Off hand, I can't think of anything equivalent to a driving licence that
requires a declaration of fitness to perform a task.

Government services I use are linked to an address. Apart from self
assessment which requires honesty but nobody dies over an error of a
couple of hundred Pounds.
Old February 15th 20, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 15/02/2020 11:15, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

So you *can't* think of many transactions between the state and the
citizen which don't rely to some extent on the good faith of the citizen?

Old February 15th 20, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

[...]

No need.

The applicant (who of necessity has already held a valid licence for
some period of time until their seventieth birthday) is the holder - or
subject - of a certificate of competence to drive.

The certificate's details are recorded in the databanks of the relevent
Department. It is (or was) awarded (effectively) by the examiner who
conducted the licence-holder's last test, assuming it was passed
successfully.

After that, the declaration at 70 is merely one as to whether has been a
change. If you think 70 is too old for that, reflect on the fact that
you might just as well argue that they should have been required to take
another medical at (say) 65, which is an age neither of my grandfathers
ever saw. Health and fitness are nowadays off the scale compared to a
mere few decades ago. but you'd prefer to waste the time and resources
of the individual and the taxpayer.

Government services I use are linked to an address. Apart from self
assessment which requires honesty but nobody dies over an error of a
couple of hundred Pounds.

I'm sorry to hear you never passed your driving test.

It explains a few things though.

On the other hand, if you only omitted your driving licence
inadvertently, then reflect upon the fact that your own fitness might
not be all it was when you passed your test. And that you too will - if
you are lucky - be 70 years old.

Old February 15th 20, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:15:26 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

Off hand, I can't think of anything equivalent to a driving licence that
requires a declaration of fitness to perform a task.

I was temporarily banned from driving by the DVLA after a serious injury and for me to get my licence back, had to undergo a mental and physical examination by my GP. I passed and regained my licence.

Old February 15th 20, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/02/2020 12:07, JNugent wrote:
[...]

The application for a provisional licence is the part that is no
different from accessing other government services.

It is upgraded to a full driving licence only when the applicant can
show competence to an examiner. Identity fraud aside, it does not rely
on the honesty of the applicant. Yet it takes honesty or a Duke of
Edinburgh moment to "hand a licence back".

After that, the declaration at 70 is merely one as to whether has
been a change. If you think 70 is too old for that, reflect on the
fact that you might just as well argue that they should have been
required to take another medical at (say) 65, which is an age
neither of my grandfathers ever saw. Health and fitness are nowadays
off the scale compared to a mere few decades ago. but you'd prefer to
waste the time and resources of the individual and the taxpayer.

Anything to with the luxury of driving should require the driver to jump
through the necessary hoops. No need to involve taxpayers. The precedent
exists for drivers of goods and public service vehicles.

Government services I use are linked to an address. Apart from
self assessment which requires honesty but nobody dies over an
error of a couple of hundred Pounds.

I'm sorry to hear you never passed your driving test.

It explains a few things though.

As we have established, full driving licences are originally obtained
by passing a test, not by self-assessment. (I passed first time, btw.)

On the other hand, if you only omitted your driving licence
inadvertently then reflect upon the fact that your own fitness might
not be all it was when you passed your test. And that you too will
- if you are lucky - be 70 years old.

Err... reduced fitness is *the* reason why independent opinion should be
taken. Eye tests for over 60's are paid out of general taxation and a
doctor's note costs less than a tank of fuel. What's so difficult?
(Politicians worried about declaring "war on pensioners" perhaps...?)

However, I don't support those that want the elderly to re-take the
driving test. As it stands, I don't believe the test is useful for
experienced drivers.

Old February 15th 20, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/02/2020 12:33, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:15:26 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

Off hand, I can't think of anything equivalent to a driving licence
that requires a declaration of fitness to perform a task.

I was temporarily banned from driving by the DVLA after a serious
injury and for me to get my licence back, had to undergo a mental and
physical examination by my GP. I passed and regained my licence.

Obviously you weren't applying for routine renewal at the time so how
did the DVLA get the information by which it could "ban" you? Did you
volunteer it or did it go behind your back?
Old February 15th 20, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 6:05:30 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/02/2020 12:33, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:15:26 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

Off hand, I can't think of anything equivalent to a driving licence
that requires a declaration of fitness to perform a task.

I was temporarily banned from driving by the DVLA after a serious
injury and for me to get my licence back, had to undergo a mental and
physical examination by my GP. I passed and regained my licence.

Obviously you weren't applying for routine renewal at the time so how
did the DVLA get the information by which it could "ban" you? Did you
volunteer it or did it go behind your back?

I don't know, it was totally out of the blue and was nothing to do with any information that I gave.

Cyclist did not go to hospital Alycidon UK 3 October 17th 15 03:48 PM
Pedestrian mown down by cyclist dies in hospital Mrcheerful UK 2 November 19th 13 08:14 PM
Another race cyclist in hospital Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 2 July 15th 13 09:27 PM
Woking & Frimley elyob[_2_] UK 5 September 4th 09 09:19 AM
mountain bike crash sends pedestrian to hospital Ken Social Issues 0 July 7th 05 12:10 AM