No helmet required for me anymore

Old January 6th 11, 12:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

Default No helmet required for me anymore

On 5/01/2011 7:58 PM, Ross wrote:
On Dec 31 2010, 10:48 am, wrote:

...the protective value of lycra must be just about nil, compared to (for example)
the old woollen bike shorts you used to be able to buy or shortened army pants,
or even King Gee workshorts.

Isn't it time lycra was banned?

T.

From personal experience I can tell you lycra is surprisingly robust
in the event of coming in close contact with bitumen. I'm sure, there
are more robust material/garments, but I can tell you that some
clothing such as denim jeans that looks and feels far more robust than
lycra only lasts about 3 secs when hitting the bitumen at 50km/h. Cant
comment on old woollen bike shorts, never worn them; King Gee work
shorts would be similar to jeans I imagine, and very uncomfortable to
ride a bike in.

or one of these

http://www.bicycleseats.org/moon-seat.htm
Old January 6th 11, 05:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2011-01-05, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)

"Ross" wrote
On Dec 31 2010, 10:48 am, "Tomasso" wrote:
Isn't it time lycra was banned?

This argument again? Get a life.

From personal experience I can tell you lycra is surprisingly robust
in the event of coming in close contact with bitumen. I'm sure, there
are more robust material/garments, but I can tell you that some
clothing such as denim jeans that looks and feels far more robust than
lycra only lasts about 3 secs when hitting the bitumen at 50km/h. Cant
comment on old woollen bike shorts, never worn them; King Gee work
shorts would be similar to jeans I imagine, and very uncomfortable to
ride a bike in.

Lycra is smooth and has a slippery surface. Denim has a rough surface and
is, I would think, much more likely to grip the road surface than allow you
to slide along it. The extra deceleration you get whilst sliding in denim
will remove the denim from your body. It then becomes painful.

I may be wrong.

I used to be justifiably given the Crash Bandicoot award, but the only
crash I've had in recent years, now that I only do a tenth of the
kilometres I used to do, was 30 seconds after it started to drizzle,
and an oily, off camber downhill corner proved to be composed mostly
of ice-coated teflon. Fortunately, the properties that made it too
slippery for my wheels to stick to, also made it slippery enough for
me to slide along until I impacted the gutter. I still use those
lycra shorts - the wearing is minimal on the side I slid along. Just
got a light grazing on the skin underneath them.

--
TimC
Yay! I have found the last bug bug bug bug bug bug bug
Old January 6th 11, 06:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Ross wrote:
King Gee work
shorts would be similar to jeans I imagine, and very uncomfortable to
ride a bike in.

You assme wrong.

I know that anything at 50km/hr isn't going to be much protection.
Old January 6th 11, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Rob wrote:

http://www.bicycleseats.org/moon-seat.htm

Umm, if you are mooning, why do you need a seat?

Is Nothing Sacred Anymore?! Uncle Dave Racing 5 April 29th 10 05:49 PM
don't need his guide mut anymore [email protected] Australia 0 September 24th 08 03:36 AM
Not Listening Anymore CyclePro Racing 0 May 22nd 05 01:00 PM
Uh-Oh, we're not at Sea Otter anymore... Alec Sander Racing 23 April 25th 05 02:52 AM
"Helmet Required" sign??? Zilla Mountain Biking 46 March 21st 05 12:27 PM