22 Sept. No petrol day

Old September 23rd 05, 11:05 AM
Terry Collins

Default 22 Sept. No petrol day

TimC wrote:
On 2005-09-23, BrettM (aka Bruce)

In China the still run steam locomotives. Not because they
couldn't afford diesel but because they are more energy
efficient than diesel even usng low grade coal. There is a
higher labour effort involved though.

And that would work out well for China, with it's low labour prices.

And that apparently is the reason why they do it. whereas in Australia,
we can quad head a train with four diesel/electric locos+ with only two
crew. Probably counts as coal driven anyway in NSW {:-). [1]

But that's very interesting. I think I have worked out where my next
holiday is

[1] Yes, I know it isn't the same, but I'll console myself tomorrow with
a steam train ride.

Old September 25th 05, 10:57 PM
LotteBum

I'll second that query. I'm sure there are plenty of Melbournian abers
that would be more than willing to buy you a drink in exchange for
meeting you "in the flesh", so to speak.

I'd be asking for more than that if I was buying her a drink!

And the same goes for Lotte (at least for me, anyway.)

Stuart, I'm warning you now. NO YOU DON'T.

LotteBum

--
LotteBum

Old September 26th 05, 01:01 AM
Kathy

LotteBum wrote:
snip

And the same goes for Lotte (at least for me, anyway.)

Stuart, I'm warning you now. NO YOU DON'T.

LotteBum

Lotte - don't put yourself down!!! There's lots of variety in people,
and lots of variety in what people like - lots of room for the two to
meet...
And Dave's comment is that some of them like shotguns too...

Old September 26th 05, 02:10 AM
Tamyka Bell

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

I will be today unless Iwant to walk home.

Dare ya.

55 kms should only take me 8 hours.

Theo

See, there are distinct advantages to being an ultra runner.

Tam
Old September 26th 05, 03:30 AM
vaudegiant

Theo Bekkers Wrote:[color=blue]
Resound wrote:

Ok then, this seems to be the point of contention. Should people be
allowed to extravagantly consume resources, whether that be fuel,
food, living space, carbon fibre bicycles, arable land or Tim TamsT
at orders of magnitude beyond their reasonable needs and to the
detriment of others around them?

I do not, of course, believe that my lifestyle is extravagant or to
the
detriment of others. We have managed to amass enough equity in 45 years
of
working for a living to live comfortably with little debt. I wasn't
always
in this position, we had our kids young and struggled for a lot of
years to
make ends meet. We now have two average vehicles, a motorcycle, four
bicycles, an average sized house. We grow a few vegies, keep a few
chooks,
and enjoy our little forest in the backyard.

In this vein, it's fairly clear to me that consuming resources to
manufacture and run a vehicle that masses between 1½ and 2 times

what
you could reasonably need for any purpose other than to bolster

one's
sagging ego is just another facet in a generally selfish outlook

that
in a number of cases that I've personally encountered, borders on a
type of sociopathy that is permitted only because it's not
technically illegal and because it's most endemic amongst those who
are responsible for drafting any possible legislation that could
mitigate it.

How do you measure what a person needs, and what leeway will you give
them
to what they want and have worked hard to get? Do you measure waste by
size
of the goods or by the number of hours you have to work to afford
them?

Possibly, in a time in the not too distant future, our lifestyles will
be assessed in terms of our overall impact on the planet (footprint).
Millions of people living unsustainably = an unsustainable existence
(oxymoron???). There is already discussion around the issue of carbon
credits for everyone, not just industry. So we would all have an
allocation of energy consumption, and we can choose to 'spend' it as we
wish, or to sell and / or buy credits. The very interesting part will be
how the actual figure to be allocated will be determined. The focus on
individual aspects of how we live our lives is, I think, wrong. No
point owning a small car if you use an air-conditioner alot, don't use
green power, don't re-use or recycle, don't support small, local
organic growers rather than large agri-businesses.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old September 26th 05, 03:45 AM
vaudegiant

That's not because the load on the power
grid is less, it's because there's less traffic on the road. In the