Post pregnancy cycling

Old January 29th 08, 12:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman[_70_]

Default Post pregnancy cycling

LotteBum Wrote:
With only 6 weeks to go, I'm getting more and more desperate to get back
on my bikes. Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Hope to get some answers here as Google hasn't really helped me at
all..

Cheers,
Lotte

LotteBum,

My wife had twins, and I was back on my bike later that afternoon.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Monsterman

--
monsterman

Old January 29th 08, 01:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Jan 29, 8:57 pm, monsterman monsterman.33y...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
LotteBum Wrote: With only 6 weeks to go, I'm getting more and more desperate to get back
on my bikes. Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Hope to get some answers here as Google hasn't really helped me at
all..

Cheers,
Lotte

LotteBum,

My wife had twins, and I was back on my bike later that afternoon.

Hope this helps.

If you'd spent more time on it in the first place she might not have
got herself into that condition!

Graeme
Old January 29th 08, 03:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

"LotteBum" wrote in message

With only 6 weeks to go, I'm getting more and more desperate to get back
on my bikes. Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Hope to get some answers here as Google hasn't really helped me at
all..

Cheers,
Lotte

Hey Lotte,
Suz says over my shoulder "riding the bike put less pressure on my pelvis
than walking. The vibration of walking was not umm comfortable And sorry
to get gross but you probably won't have any pelvic floor muscle control for
a while. I did a crit two weeks after a difficult delivery...fat wobbles and
all but I found any slight rise (col de nundah) and I was walking instead of
riding. You will be awake at 4am anyway why not go riding and leave bubba
with Paulie, sleep when the baby sleeps!!! Hope it comes quickly and commit
this phrase to memory 'I would like an epidural NOW please'. And
*apparently* women come back stronger after childbirth. What doesn't kill
you makes you stronger. GO GIRL!!! "

Old January 29th 08, 11:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_95_]

Thanks for the great advice everyone, especially MM.

What has been said on here makes me wonder (even more) why some women
opt for elective ceasars when clearly they're worse in the medium term.
The thought of a caesar scares the wits out of me....

I think what I might do is keep a diary about my physical recovery once
Peanut is evicted - otherwise I'm sure I'll forget all about it all!

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old January 30th 08, 02:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

LotteBum wrote:

What has been said on here makes me wonder (even more) why some women
opt for elective ceasars when clearly they're worse in the medium term.
The thought of a caesar scares the wits out of me....

Well, my wife's caesar was an emergency after number 1 son gave an
indication of things to come and showed his recalcitrant behaviour in
the womb! My wife's preference was au naturale but sometimes things
don't go to plan. Number two was a little more well behaved though...
and has been ever since! Funny how birth experiences seem to be an
indicator of how things will turn out in the future. :-)

The important thing Lotte is that if you are still thinking about bike
riding after bub arrives then everything else must be going well!!

Bean
Old January 30th 08, 06:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum[_30_]

Exercise is good for PND. Lack of sleep caused by a newborn baby is bad
for PND. Take every chance you can to get some sleep. Definitely get
some exercise, initially by pushing a heavy pram around (baby isn't
heavy, it's the nappy change bag etc. that is heavy), then cycling when
you want to put some distance between you and the baby. Avoid the car
driving while you are chronically short on sleep.

One of the people in our ante-natal class said she took out her hearing
aids when she went to bed. That way she got more sleep at night, and
her husband woke up to settle the baby.

--
ghostgum

Old January 30th 08, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
artemidorus[_11_]

There is no medical reason not to get straight back on after a normal
delivery (unless blood loss is more than usual), but your undercarriage
will be the limiting factor. My partner wouldn't have dreamed of riding
within 2 months of the delivery, due to a recovering tear. There may be
a heavy discharge of lochia for longer than you expect. Sleep
deprivation can be pretty extreme.

--
artemidorus

Old January 30th 08, 10:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

I dont know about that Lotte - I had 2 Caesars, Neither was elective. After
30hrs labour with the first a caesar was the ONLY option and I was back on
my feet within a couple of weeks. I can remember seeing the new mums who had
delivered the usual way walking quite bowlegged LOL at least I could walk
with my legs together!!!! First Caesar was a classical scar and it healed
quickly.
Second time around a failed natural ended the same way and once again I
watched the naturals walking bowlegged. Who knows what is the best way and
how long the recovery is - we are all indeed different. (mind you all this
was 24 yrs ago so times might have changed)
A few years ago I had an awful abdominal surgery complete with blood
transfusions etc and was doing a 10 day hike in the wilds of North Qld
within 6 weeks carrying up to 20kgs so really I think anything is possible.
Dont let anyone tell you what you feel you are capable of - just do it
I rekon the main thing is that if you have a partner who is willing to watch
Peanuts while you go for a ride then you go sister!
Kathy.

Old January 31st 08, 09:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:46:22 -0800, tim wrote:

[1] BITALA

And here I thought it was going to be either
[1] BILLAV
or
[1] BIKWIL

BTW have you managed to either wheely or bunnyhop a bakfiets yet?

(PS Anyone in Sydney with a recumbent and a sense of humour feel like
letting Kanangara and me try something a little silly?)

--
Dave Hughes -
If you drink Real beer, you become horizontal... so, if you

Old January 31st 08, 01:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_96_]

Lots of good advice coming through. Thanks heaps to you all.

Just wanted to clear one thing up though - I wasn't in any way having a
go at anyone who had a caesar, rather I was wondering why anyone would
have an -_elective_- caesar because the recovery time seems to generally
speaking be a lot worse. Oh, and I'm scared of operations. I'm not one
of those people who thinks every child should be born naturally at all,
and if a woman wants a caesar then go for it. But I'm scared of them -
really, truly petrified. If a caesar is my best option, I'll go with
it... as a matter of fact, if my mother had been given a caesar when I
was born, I wouldn't be wearing hearing aids now. So please, anyone I
offended, I apologise - it was not intended that way at all.

On that note, that's great advice about turning hearing aids off at
night - I already do that and can't hear squat without them! We're yet
to test out the ultra baby monitor we bought and I have a feeling I may
not even hear that. How blissfully convenient. Poor Paulie.

Gotta run - bladder breakdancing in progress.

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Cycling & pregnancy Zardoz UK 15 January 15th 05 09:51 PM
I learned about cycling from that... (long post) beas General 1 February 22nd 04 02:48 AM