the bike doesnt make the rider...

Old May 25th 04, 04:48 AM
Micheal Artindale

Default the bike doesnt make the rider...

I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5 yrs
ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension bike. I have
a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
speed bike.

When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more with my
bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain. If he tried, his
frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
or rough spots.

I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes, tires, front
derailers and shifters.

He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop. It cost him about
half.

I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit lighter, i dont notice a
thing.

I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving my pennies to
replace my bike with something better. I had a walmart bike, and the frame
snapped. I feel that i have been going up in the world.

It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider that makes the bike.
you give a novice a realy good bike, and itll rust up before they actually
find out its capabilities. If you give an expert rider a cheapie bike, itll
desintegrate as they ride. It will last longer, as they will be replacing
everything with something a bit better.

When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget, and your abilities.
No sence spending lots of money when something cheap will do.

Buy smart.... and ride hard.

Micheal

Old May 25th 04, 05:43 AM
Slacker

So what's your point ???
Old May 25th 04, 05:44 AM
Zilla

Micheal Artindale wrote:
[...]

True to some extent. I wonder what a rider of equal skill to
yours would do on your friend's bike though when riding with
you. I ride with friends that are on rigid bikes and they kick
my ass on my FS so I can't argue much with you. But I also
ride with friends on the same par as me and I leave them on
rooty descents with their hardtails. And I'm NOT that skilled.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old May 25th 04, 06:47 AM
Ozman Trad

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message

I own a Canadian tire (little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5 yrs
ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension bike. I

have
a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is front suspension and is a 21
speed bike.

I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles per year than your
bike cost in dollars. It keeps you honest

Your friend needs to ride 5000 miles a year. That's a lot of MtB miles. My
bike cost around $1200 bucks (which means 23 miles a week) I usually do
about 30/week split into 3-4 rides a week.

Old May 25th 04, 07:09 AM
S o r n i

Micheal Artindale wrote:
[...]

Thank you for sharing with the group, Michael.

After a nap, it's finger-painting time!

Bill "did you bring your carpet remnant?" S.

Old May 25th 04, 11:21 AM
gazzer

[...]

Don't be daft. ****ty bikes don't do anything well , except clog up
storm drains. Anyone will ride better and progress faster on a decent
bike.
If you can't afford a better bike, then ride what you can, but it
doesn't make you big or clever.

cheers

Gaz
Old May 25th 04, 11:26 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Micheal Artindale wrote:
[...]

Uh oh. Someone tainted the milk up there in Canuck land.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old May 25th 04, 01:59 PM
Micheal Artindale

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

Uh oh. Someone tainted the milk up there in Canuck land.

No, it is just made by Labatt and Molson.

Micheal

Old May 25th 04, 01:59 PM
Micheal Artindale

"Slacker" wrote in message
So what's your point ???

Go out and have fun on what ever you ride, and dont worry about what it is.

Micheal

Old May 25th 04, 02:00 PM
Micheal Artindale

Thank you for sharing with the group, Michael.

After a nap, it's finger-painting time!

Bill "did you bring your carpet remnant?" S.

FINGER PAINTING -- i love it (lol)

We had to bring our ownt carpet??? awww

Micheal