Cyclist casualties up 9% in London.

Old May 26th 11, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Cyclist casualties up 9% in London.

On Thu, 26 May 2011 00:26:21 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On May 25, 8:33*pm, wrote:
Here we go again;

See John paying Income Tax, NI & VAT.
See Janet paying exactly the same Income Tax, NI & VAT.

Here we go again, indeed.
See Janet in her car.
Janet has never paid any money at all for VED, fuel, tyres, MOT,
insurance, repairs, servicing yada, yada.
Ever.
She has never even paid for her speeding fines.
Her cycling husband, John has paid every penny for the last 30 years.
Janet is a sponging freeloading driver.

.... and her husband is known as Simple - because that is exactly what he is.

--
Simple Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.

Old May 26th 11, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 26, 5:51*am, Doug wrote:

So what are you suggesting here, that its OK to exceed speed limits as
long as its not by very much? I know there is some latitude because of
speedometer inaccuracies but it doesn't make it OK in principle. What
about places where locals want speed limits to be lowered anyway,
particularly past schools?

Doug.

The locals are very much in favour of 20mph limits outside schools
*when* they are walking their kids around.
However, when they get behind the wheel, they totally ignore the limit
and the worst culprits are the teachers and parents themselves IME.
As you can see in my commute video, I am riding at 20mph past these
schools when some inconsiderate knob comes hurtling past at 30mph +
totally ignoring the risk they are putting people in. If there are no
humps to police 20mph zones then most drivers will simply ignore the
limit as I pointed out in our local rag.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/letter.jpg

--
Simon Mason

Old May 26th 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
nightjar

On 26/05/2011 05:51, Doug wrote:
On May 25, 9:29 am, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 25/05/2011 07:17, Doug wrote:

Well we know from past surveys that a majority of motorists knowingly
exceed speed limits,...

When the Road Research Laboratory did an extensive study of speed
limits, their conclusion was that the purpose of speed limits should not
be seen as being to keep traffic at or below the set limit.

Source? Link? I would like to verify your claim.

A bound volume of Road Research Laboratory reports that was in Hove
Public Library reference section, when I last looked. I think it changed
its name to the Transport and Road Research Laboratory in the early
1980s, so I rather doubt RRL reports are available online.

Rather, they
should be seen as a way to avoid large differentials in traffic speed
and as a way to reduce significantly the number of vehicles that grossly
exceed the set limit. Their suggestions of what constituted 'grossly
exceeding' the limit quite closely match the ACPO recommendations on the
point at which prosecution would be appropriate.

So what are you suggesting here, that its OK to exceed speed limits as
long as its not by very much?

Unlike you, I do not encourage people to break the law. I am simply
reporting the conclusions of the Road Research Laboratory. However, the
Association of Chief Police Officers does seem to think that, as a
general rule and providing there is no other offence, it is acceptable
for vehicles to travel at a little above the limit without penalty.

I know there is some latitude because of
speedometer inaccuracies

Not in speed limits. Any speedometer errors must result in the vehicle
travelling slower than indicated, not faster.

but it doesn't make it OK in principle. What
about places where locals want speed limits to be lowered anyway,
particularly past schools?

The same principles apply, whatever the limit, although the RRL did make
the point that, to be effective, speed limits need to match the drivers'
perception of a safe speed for the road, so lower limits will normally
require traffic calming measures as well.

Colin Bignell
Old May 26th 11, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 26 May 2011 02:59:08 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On May 26, 5:51*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

"Inconsiderate knob" - sums you up nicely.

Old May 26th 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
webreader

On May 26, 5:51*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

A bit like 250w only being a bit over 200w then.
Old May 26th 11, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 26/05/2011 08:26, Simon Mason wrote:
On May 25, 8:33 pm, wrote:
Here we go again;

See John paying Income Tax, NI& VAT.
See Janet paying exactly the same Income Tax, NI& VAT.

Here we go again, indeed.
See Janet in her car.
Janet has never paid any money at all for VED, fuel, tyres, MOT,
insurance, repairs, servicing yada, yada.
Ever.
She has never even paid for her speeding fines.
Her cycling husband, John has paid every penny for the last 30 years.
Janet is a sponging freeloading driver.

I used my debit card to pay my Road Tax. Therefore Lloyd's Bank paid it.

I can't believe you are actually this ****ing stupid.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.
Old May 26th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 26, 4:48*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

I bet you even break the 40mph speed limit for HGVs when you are on
downhill sections of single carriageway on leisure rides as well.

You probably even do that in your car.

Disgraceful behaviour! - Hide quoted text -

I don't wear a magic hat, so on steep downwhill sections, I limit my
speed to 25 mph even though I could go well over that.
In fact, in a recent downhill club TT held last month - this happened.

"
Result for event 3 the ultra quick 5 mile prologue held on Tuesday
12th April 2011

Jason Young once again decimated the opposition with a 21 second
beating of the rest of the field on a cold but fast night at Weedley.
Tony Goundry was best of the rest with with many riders separated by
one second gaps. At one point Jason was clocked at 52 mph (through the
dip before the Rowley turn off) but somewhat surprisingly was still 10
seconds of Paul Purdy’s course record of 8 mins 30 seconds set the
first year the event was held. Good to see so many riders out – lets
hope this enthusiasm continues for the rest of the season."

--
Simon Mason

Old May 26th 11, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Old May 26th 11, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 26 May 2011 11:18:07 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On May 26, 4:48*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

I bet you even break the 40mph speed limit for HGVs when you are on
downhill sections of single carriageway on leisure rides as well.

You probably even do that in your car.

Disgraceful behaviour! - Hide quoted text -

I don't wear a magic hat, so on steep downwhill sections, I limit my
speed to 25 mph even though I could go well over that.
In fact, in a recent downhill club TT held last month - this happened.

So because you don't wear a helmet - you limit your speed to 25mph - and yet
you hold that helmets do no good whatsoever.

You really, really are ****ing Simple aren't you.

I cannot believe how daft you are.

Perhaps one of your mates can explain the logic behind this, because I sure
cannot see it; unless you are just plain daft.

--
Simple Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.
The actions of a true psycholist.

A Simple Quiz on London Casualties in 2010 Judith[_4_] UK 60 May 29th 11 02:35 PM
Casualties in Greater London 2005 Tom Crispin UK 29 November 3rd 06 09:49 AM
Cyclist down London Bridge spindrift UK 31 July 20th 06 01:06 PM
London Cyclist John Hearns UK 1 August 5th 05 04:49 PM
Pedal Cycle Casualties in Greater London Tilly UK 22 May 27th 05 09:27 AM