Obituary - Barry Mason

Old June 7th 11, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

Default Obituary - Barry Mason

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 08:04:21 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

Well a quick glance at the thread did not yield 'sad *******'
& being a 'fanatic' is not in itself a bad thing.

I have no problem with 'fanatic' being used to describe Barry. I
wouldn't use that word myself as to me it suggests direct action, and
Barry wasn't really in to direct action - except for tearing down the
occasional 'no cycling' sign in places where cycling is permitted.

'Sad *******' is a value statement. I'd be quite happy to describe
people who spend all evening in a pub talking about football or cars
'sad *******s'. Barry's life was full and varied: there is no way that
I could describe him as a 'sad *******'.

Also I have made no 'personal attacks' & have asked no questions on this
thread.

Over to you

--
And every night in my tiny spare bedroom
my bright red bike sleeps dreaming of tomorrow and me.
Old June 7th 11, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar[_3_]

On Jun 7, 8:19*am, Tom Crispin wrote:

except for tearing down the
occasional 'no cycling' sign in places where cycling is permitted.

Sounds like you support such actions. Would you also support the
tearing down of all speed limit signs in places where the traffic
order for the speed limit had not been made properly (and therefore no
speed limit applied)?
Old June 7th 11, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

On Jun 7, 5:01*am, Doug wrote:
On Jun 6, 5:04*pm, Tony Dragon wrote:

On 06/06/2011 10:22, Doug wrote:

On Jun 6, 7:18 am, Tony *wrote:
On 06/06/2011 06:15, Doug wrote:

On Jun 5, 5:54 pm, * *wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:29 am, * *wrote:

On Jun 4, 10:46 pm, * *wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 13:55:00 -0700 (PDT), Simon
wrote:

On Jun 4, 7:00 pm, Tom * *wrote:

If errent cyclists are obstructing traffic, that is a matter for the
police. I did not hear of any arrests or hear of any formal
complaints.-

Indeed.
Barry Mason, was, in cycling parlance, a "good egg".

Simon Mason, is, in cycling parlance a "****wit"

Simple.

Many thanks for highlighting the motorist's mantras here and their
tendency to become psycho/socio/paths, possibly due to the stresses
and costs of car use and its addictive nature.

Doug.

Many thanks for highlighting your car hating mantra here, this is
probably due to you being barred from driving

Nope. Its due to me managing to kick the car habit following the
realisation of all the harm it causes. I then became aware that I was
not alone in my dislike of the car when I discovered there is a world-
wide anti-car campaign.

Are you also a motorist who speaks ill of the dead?

I can't see where he spoke ill of the dead.

Hence my question. Do you have anything to contribute?

So because nobody has spoken ill of this man, you thought that you would
bring up the subject, how strange.

When are you going to finally learn to read properly? In this very
thread Barry is described as a 'sad *******' and a 'fanatic'.

BTW, when are you going to contribute something, instead of personal
attacks and numerous questions?

-- .
World Carfree Network.
* *http://www.worldcarfree.net/
Help for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.

I would suggest that it is you who should learn to read &
understand , the only time that sad ******* was used was a long time
after Tony's post.
You really are not up to this usenet thing are you.
Old June 7th 11, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 00:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Nuxx Bar
wrote:

On Jun 7, 8:19*am, Tom Crispin wrote:

except for tearing down the
occasional 'no cycling' sign in places where cycling is permitted.

Sounds like you support such actions.

No - I don't support such action, but I can understand it.

Would you also support the
tearing down of all speed limit signs in places where the traffic
order for the speed limit had not been made properly (and therefore no
speed limit applied)?

Nope. But I'd support the correct implementation of traffic orders.
Old June 7th 11, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

On Jun 7, 8:19 am, Tom Crispin wrote:

except for tearing down the
occasional 'no cycling' sign in places where cycling is permitted.

Sounds like you support such actions.

No - I don't support such action, but I can understand it.

Would you also support the
tearing down of all speed limit signs in places where the traffic
order for the speed limit had not been made properly (and therefore
no speed limit applied)?

Nope. But I'd support the correct implementation of traffic orders.

So would I, such as enforcing the correct use of one way streets, stopping
pavement riding, enforcing give way lines, prosecuting red light jumpers,
enforcing the lights at night ruling, enforcing only one person on a solo
cycle, all those sort of things.

Old June 7th 11, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 07/06/2011 16:08, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message

A sad loss.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-23180076/

http://asitc.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/barry-mason/

I'm sure Dense Doug will now organise a protest calling for the
abolition of swimming in the sea, as it claims YET ANOTHER CYCLIST VICTIM

WHEN WILL LARGE WATER MASSES BE BANNED??? etc etc

Sea weapons obviously.

Still, at least it explodes the old myth that cyclists are healthy.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.
"Many people barely recognise the bicycle as a
Old June 8th 11, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On Jun 7, 8:04*am, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 07/06/2011 05:01, Doug wrote:

On Jun 6, 5:04 pm, Tony *wrote:
On 06/06/2011 10:22, Doug wrote:

On Jun 6, 7:18 am, Tony * *wrote:
On 06/06/2011 06:15, Doug wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 4, 7:00 pm, Tom * * *wrote:

[...]

Try as you might your lame excuses do not deny the fact that such
insulting comments are inappropriate in connection with an obituary
but it is at least indicative of the motorists' mind-set in relation
to cyclists, both dead and alive.

-- .

Old June 8th 11, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On Jun 8, 11:04*am, Doug wrote:

Try as you might your lame excuses do not deny the fact that such
insulting comments are inappropriate in connection with an obituary
but it is at least indicative of the motorists' mind-set in relation
to cyclists, both dead and alive.

You seem to be confusing motorists in general (which make up around
half the population, and therefore it is impossible to make
generalisations about such a diverse group), and certain individuals
on this newsgroup. Or, put another way, such behaviour you are
critical of is not indicative of a mindset of some 30 million people
in the UK.
Old June 8th 11, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On Jun 6, 6:07*am, Doug wrote:

Typical motorist. No respect or humanity.

Nope. There is no such thing as a "typical" motorist.
Old June 8th 11, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:49 pm, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:
On 05/06/2011 08:34, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:21:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jun 4, 3:35 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 15:16:24 +0100, Tom
wrote:

Squealing pigs, clucking chickens and screaming toddlers formed
the soundtrack to Barry Mason’s day, as Manager of Surrey Docks
City Farm. But it was the inanimate bicycle which was Barry's
real passion: Barry moonlighted as co-ordinator of Southwark
Cyclists.

After spending a decade awakening the cycling community in his
local area, the group now boasts 900 members, who meet once a
month for a string of bike rides and campaigns. Returning to
London after a stint in Liverpool, “Where nobody cycles much,”
Barry says, he was disappointed to find little had changed in
London. He launched Greenwich Cyclists after flyering people
about poor infrastructure, before returning to his local group.

On 26 March 2010 Barry led one of Critical Mass's largest bike
rides

Well there goes much sympathy he may have got.

I am very sorry to learn of Barry's death. He was a great advocate
of cycling and a brilliant organiser of rides. His leading of that
CM ride was just a one-off in a good cause and I had the
impression that he didn't usually approve of CM behaviour.

A sad loss.

Not really. Another fanatic off the roads.

Typical motorist. No respect or humanity.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated).
http://www.zing.icom43.net
"The car, more of a toilet than a convenience".

Pity about Barry's arrest and caution last year, lucky he did not want to
holiday in the USA

FAO Simon Mason Nuxx Bar UK 226 May 25th 09 07:07 PM
Sheldons London Times obituary Peter Howard Techniques 7 March 6th 08 03:18 PM
Obituary of a Sport: The Horrible Lingering Death of Cycling rms[_2_] General 6 May 17th 07 08:03 AM
OT - Obituary EuanB Australia 5 November 22nd 05 12:51 AM
OT - Obituary cfsmtb Australia 0 November 21st 05 11:40 PM