Yet more pavement cycling

Old September 4th 11, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default Yet more pavement cycling

On 04/09/2011 07:51, Doug wrote:
On Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:39:20 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sep 3, 5:39 am, Peter wrote:
which I find strange. In my experience bicycling on the footpath is much
more dangerous also for the bicyclist than bicycling on the road.

Same here - even if it was legal to do so, I'd never cycle on the
pavement as it is too slow and there are too many give way points.

Agreed but surely some people cycle on the pavements because they consider the roads and its drivers too dangerous and therefore are prepared to put up with the many inconveniences of pavement cycling?

Yes, and bugger the inconveniences to pedestrians.

Personally I disagree with them because pavement motoring also represents a danger to cyclists. Because of their vulnerability cyclists have to make difficult choices in an inequitable situation where drivers can kill them but they can't kill drivers.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to drive a car.

Lack of any mention of pedestrians in your post noted.

It's cyclists like you, who obviously do not care about pedestrians,
( you did not mention them at all in your anti care rant) that give
cycling a bad name
Old September 4th 11, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 04/09/2011 06:49, Peter Keller wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Peter Keller wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/455noac

Perhaps they're just afraid of the traffic, or it could be that they
couldn't care less about pedestrians,

Both.

which I find strange. In my experience bicycling on the footpath is
much more dangerous also for the bicyclist than bicycling on the road.

But that's not the issue, is it?
It doesn't matter how "dangerous" it is for cyclists on the carriageway,
it's still a selfish offence to cycle along the footway or through a
pedestrian area.
The answer to cyclist perception of "danger" is either to use a
different route or to not cycle at all on that journey.

I do use a different route.
I bike on the road.

That means that you don't have this overwhelming perception of imagined
"danger", such as is attributed to selfish footway users as cited by people
like Doug.

And if *you* can see the imaginary "dangers" for what they are...

Old September 4th 11, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 04/09/2011 07:51, Doug wrote:

[ ... ]

... some people cycle on the pavements ... I disagree with them because pavement motoring also represents a danger to cyclists. ...

Thanks for the confirmation that you aren't interested in the safety of
pedestrians.
Old September 4th 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Sep 3, 3:45*pm, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 04:39:48 +0000 (UTC)

Peter Keller wrote:
which I find strange. *In my experience bicycling on the footpath is
much more dangerous also for the bicyclist than bicycling on the road.

Yeah, but we're proper cyclists, see? *Those other characters that
people confuse with cyclists are just "people on bicycles", who don't
understand how to cycle safely and responsibly. *Around here the
pavement cyclists often aren't the archetypal terrorists but older
people and families who think they're being safe - education is what's
needed to solve a large art of the problem, I think.

The ones who cycle past my house on the pavement tend to be
schoolkids, paperboys and children being taught to ride by their
parents. Everyone else uses the road and the speed limit is 60 mph
just a short distance away and there is no pavement there at all.

--
Simon Mason
Old September 4th 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

On Sep 3, 5:39*am, Peter Keller wrote:
which I find strange. *In my experience bicycling on the footpath is much
more dangerous also for the bicyclist than bicycling on the road.

Same here - even if it was legal to do so, I'd never cycle on the
pavement as it is too slow and there are too many give way points.

Agreed but surely some people cycle on the pavements because they consider the roads and its drivers too dangerous and therefore are prepared to put up with the many inconveniences of pavement cycling? Personally I disagree with them because pavement motoring also represents a danger to cyclists. Because of their vulnerability cyclists have to make difficult choices in an inequitable situation where drivers can kill them but they can't kill drivers.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
*http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

So yet again you prove that you don't care about those who use the
pavement, you know these people, they're pedestrians.

I'm not surprised that even cyclist don't want to be associated with
you.
Old September 4th 11, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On Sep 3, 5:39 am, Peter wrote:
which I find strange. In my experience bicycling on the footpath is much
more dangerous also for the bicyclist than bicycling on the road.

Same here - even if it was legal to do so, I'd never cycle on the
pavement as it is too slow and there are too many give way points.

Agreed but surely some people cycle on the pavements because they consider the roads and its drivers too dangerous

That would be because they are using a child's toy as a form of
transport - it isn't viable. A silly Victorian diversion.

and therefore are prepared to put up with the many inconveniences of
pavement cycling?

Those 'inconveniences' are called pedestrians.

Personally I disagree with them because pavement motoring also
represents a danger to cyclists.

Because of their vulnerability cyclists have to make difficult choices

in an inequitable situation where drivers can kill them but they can't
kill drivers.

Which confirms that push bikes are not a viable form of transport.

University
Old September 4th 11, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Doug wrote:

On Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:39:20 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sep 3, 5:39*am, Peter Keller wrote:
which I find strange. *In my experience bicycling on the footpath
is much more dangerous also for the bicyclist than bicycling on
the road.

Same here - even if it was legal to do so, I'd never cycle on the
pavement as it is too slow and there are too many give way points.

Agreed but surely

So you admit you don't know, for a change.

some people cycle on the pavements because they
consider the roads and its drivers too dangerous and therefore are
prepared to put up with the many inconveniences of pavement cycling?

This is your theory. It seems unsupported by evidence. Most people I
see cycling on pavements are youngsters on BMX/mtb's and small children
on small childs bikes.

Personally I disagree with them because pavement motoring also
represents a danger to cyclists.

Such emotive utterings. Drivers can't 'kill' cyclists with impunity,
there are (mostly) consequernces to their actions wrt the law at least.
When drivers mount pavements it's mostly 'cos there is a problem
causing them to do so, they aren't (usually) driving down the pavement
intent on killing pedestrians (or cyclists).

Because of their vulnerability
cyclists have to make difficult choices in an inequitable situation
where drivers can kill them but they can't kill drivers.

A cyclist can easily kill a car driver, there is (relatively) easy
access to guns or knives .. I hope you don't _want_ to kill drivers
'cos I'm certain the vast majority of car drivers don't actually want
to kill cyclists, no matter what the ****wits might say.

--
Paul - xxx
Old September 4th 11, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Sep 4, 10:27*am, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
I hope you don't _want_ to kill drivers
'cos I'm certain the vast majority of car drivers don't actually want
to kill cyclists, no matter what the ****wits might say.

That seems to be my experience as well. In the last few months I have
noticed far fewer drivers who are inconsiderate around cyclists. I
don't know if it is down to our increased numbers, or their having
kids and relations who cycle themselves now, or the Skyrides. At least
around here, riding on the roads seems to have become much more
pleasant. I can't seem to put my finger on why, but I am not
complaining. Even the hoodies and dog walkers give you a wave when you
make room for them.

--
Simon Mason
Old September 4th 11, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 10:24:27 +0100, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

That would be because they are using a child's toy as a form of
transport - it isn't viable. A silly Victorian diversion.

My child's toy is a very viable form of transport.

--
If you are riding a bicycle you are winning.
Old September 5th 11, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

JNugent wrote:
Peter Keller wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I don't need my name to be in bold. I am only a bicyclist who uses my
great form of transport for most off my in-town and close-town transport
needs. and for beautiful wind-in-hair recreation.
Any accidents I have had have been minor; scrapes, low-speed knock off
bike etc, and none of those even for some years.
No, I don't agree with people like Doug that biking in today's world is
excessively dangerous. Of course the bicyclist, like any road user,
should obey road rules, be visible, audible and predictable, and have a
bike in good mechanical condition and always be able to stop without
hitting something.

--
If you are riding a bicycle you are winning.

Pavement cycling Marie UK 0 September 19th 10 10:33 AM
Pavement cycling Marie UK 18 August 10th 10 06:55 PM
Cycling on the pavement PeterG UK 25 August 31st 09 07:49 PM
Cycling on the pavement Judith M Smith UK 2 August 30th 09 08:19 PM
Safety:- Cycling on the pavement v cycling on the road. soup UK 20 April 8th 07 12:00 PM