B**y Borris Bikes and other Cyclists in London

Old November 20th 11, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Tony Dragon

Default B**y Borris Bikes and other Cyclists in London

On 20/11/2011 12:55, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:25:48 -0000, "Jack
wrote:

"SB" wrote in message

Today is Saturday and I have have been walking the streets of London
doing Xmas shopping along with thousands of others. But I live here;
most of the others are tourists. However London is very bad this year
- there are too many cyclists without lights, riding on the pavements,
and jumping the red lights. I used to be a keen cyclist having been
brought up with National Cycling Proficiency at school, and at least
reading the Highway Code. I WAS a keen cyclist - but now no more.

And now-a-days I am gob-smacked at the selfishness of modern cyclists.
This afternoon alone I have nearly been knocked over 5 times by
cyclists without lights jumping the red traffic lights - when they
have been green for me as a pedestrian. If I shout out after they just
miss knocking me over all I get told is "fcuk off!" Nice, This reduces
my sympathy for cyclists to zero.

As a responsible cyclist, who stops at traffic lights, carries lights and
fluorescent clothing and reflectors and respects other users of the road
(and pavements) I share your irritation with the morons who give us all a
bad name.

May I recommend that you carry a sturdy walking stick when out as a
pedestrian. When one of these selfish scum ignores the rules of the road
simply insert it between the spokes. It will focus the mind as the cranium
makes contact with the road surface. ;-)

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Guy

And of course the cyclist who assaults you while riding through a
pedestrian crossing in the green man phase will also have insurance.
Old November 20th 11, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
JNugent[_7_]

wrote:

"SB" wrote in message

[...]

Do you want pedestrians to be able and prepared to defend themselves, or not?

Or must they simply be resigned to the fact that the aggressors will always
get away with it?
Old November 20th 11, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
JNugent[_7_]

On 20/11/2011 13:37, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:27:45 -0000, wrote:

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally.

That was very much the point I was making. It is the moral equivalent
of using a baseball bat on shoplifters. It might be superficially
satisfying but it is disproportionate and illegal.

What would be "proportionate"?

Other than letting them continue to get away with it.
Old November 20th 11, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

"SB" wrote in message

[...]

and who is the vulnerable victim here?

Old November 20th 11, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 20, 1:27*pm, "Robin" wrote:
You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally. *I do hope the
Lycra is not restricting the blood supply.

But I do agree it is an action best taken by people with little or
nothing to lose. *I have, for example, a little list of crossings I
intend to visit with my stout walking stick if I ever have the "best put
your affairs in order a.s.a.p." talk with the doctor.

I would go on a series of luxury holidays if I had such news, not go
around assaulting other people.
Still, it would be your own time you would be wasting.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 20th 11, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 20/11/2011 12:25, Jack Taylor wrote:
"SB" wrote in message

[...]

Its not physically possible for a bicyclist to land on his/her head.
The human body is specifically designed to prevent this.

University
Old November 20th 11, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.rec.diving,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:55:05 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:25:48 -0000, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

"SB" wrote in message

[...]

I have done it a couple of times - by accident of course :-)

As the cyclists nearly hit me - I lurched to one side - unfortunately the
wrong way, and my umbrella caught the spokes. The cyclists fell off.
One of them called me a **** - the other said sorry.

Oh by the way; if you have never come across him before : Porky Chapman is not
qualified to offer legal advice. He is one of the resident ****wits in urc.

--

Total number of posts to URC from
IP Address:80.254.146.36 over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence?
(Guy Chapman Dell Magnet)
Old November 20th 11, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:27:45 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally. I do hope the
Lycra is not restricting the blood supply.

The Porker (as he is known) has a habit of posting incorrect legal advice. He
thinks he is an expert - but best to take anything he says with a pinch of
salt.

--

"I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. I would challenge judith
to find the place where I said I encourage my children to wear helmets." Guy Chapman

Old November 20th 11, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:37:41 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:27:45 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally.

That was very much the point I was making.

Now then Porky : of course you were. It is amazing the amount of "incorrect"
legal advice you have to post - to "make a point" :-)

I suppose if the point you are trying to make, is that you are a ****wit, then
the posts are on the right lines.

Old November 20th 11, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:40:10 -0000, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:27:45 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best
not to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally.

That was very much the point I was making. It is the moral equivalent
of using a baseball bat on shoplifters. It might be superficially
satisfying but it is disproportionate and illegal.

Guy

the cyclist won't lose, their own household insurance will cover any losses
they suffer.

Indeed - I understand that it is usually the fridge freezer insurance that
comes in to play if you are a cyclist, for some obscure historical reason.

Well - that is what we have effectively been told.