Filtering

Old November 20th 11, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Adam Lea[_3_]

Default Filtering

On 17/11/11 07:22, Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
There is this idea that just because
they have a driving licence and can balance on a bike they understand
cycle safety.

Yes I believe it is related to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect
Old November 20th 11, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 10:35:59 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

Just zis ****, you know?

It is a very great honour to be ****ted by the vorephilic dave.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old November 20th 11, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:40:36 +0000, Judith wrote:

Yep - spot on Porky -

Some are permanent parasites of humans, horses, cattle, fish, and
mollusks, but most are merely predatory.

--

snip

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old November 21st 11, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

Default Apology (Was: Filtering)

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:08:51 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=wvUQcnfwUUM

Ah, changed days...

#Have a drink, have a drive,
#go out and see what you can find.

#If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal.
#If her daddy's poor, just do as you feel.
#Speed along the lane,
#Do a ton, or a ton and twenty-five.
#When the sun goes down, you can make it,
#make it good in a lay-by.
Old November 21st 11, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:49:24 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Nov 20, 7:12*pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

That said, as far as I can make out the government has done their
level best to try to turn this into a rerun of the 1980s. I remain
convinced that the Tory party are as a body corporate congenitally
unable to understand the state education sector.

As long as interest rates don't go up to 15% again, I won't have to
worry.

When I took out my first mortgage rates were 14.75%; I took out
another mortgage earlier this year at 2.58% (lifetime tracker of just
2.08% above base rate). This morning I head some first time buyers on
the news saying how unaffordable mortgages are. They don't know half
of it!
Old November 21st 11, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 20/11/2011 22:09, Adam Lea wrote:
On 17/11/11 07:22, Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
There is this idea that just because
they have a driving licence and can balance on a bike they understand
cycle safety.

Yes I believe it is related to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Maybe I am being over analytical here but since I discovered the Dunning
Kruger effect and understood what it means, I have been analysing my own
skills in various areas. However, since while doing this, the observer
and the observee are both the same person, with the same level of skill,
it is impossible to make any accurate self-assessment. My own
self-critique is biased against what I think I know and the default
position seems to be “I am fairly good at that” because my observation
and experience both seem to correlate. Therefore I think “I must know
what I am doing”.

I have come to the conclusion that the only reliable source of knowledge
will be from someone who participates actively in any given field and
any advice that comes from anyone without actual experience and success
in the field ought to be taken very lightly. The advice from someone
without practical experience will only be (and can only be), their
biased opinion or the opinions and advice they have heard from elsewhere.

--
Simon
For personal replies, please use my reply-to address.
Old November 21st 11, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:

That said, as far as I can make out the government has done their
level best to try to turn this into a rerun of the 1980s. I remain
convinced that the Tory party are as a body corporate congenitally
unable to understand the state education sector.

As long as interest rates don't go up to 15% again, I won't have to
worry.

When I took out my first mortgage rates were 14.75%; I took out
another mortgage earlier this year at 2.58% (lifetime tracker of just
2.08% above base rate). This morning I head some first time buyers on
the news saying how unaffordable mortgages are. They don't know half
of it!

Yes I know - that makes me laugh as well. In my day, you had to save
in a building society's paying in book for two years every month
before the manager would even contemplate giving you a mortgage. Then
as the interest rates were so high, the repayments were crippling and
I had a wife and two kids to support as well as service the mortgage
all at age 25 and I had to live in a two up two down for 17 years
until I could afford a nice house in the country.

The young people of today want it all now, without putting in the
years of graft and scrimping and saving.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 21st 11, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

and we all thought you lived in Hull.

Old November 21st 11, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 07:20:04 +0000, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

On 20/11/2011 22:09, Adam Lea wrote:
On 17/11/11 07:22, Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
There is this idea that just because
they have a driving licence and can balance on a bike they understand
cycle safety.

Yes I believe it is related to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Maybe I am being over analytical here but since I discovered the Dunning
Kruger effect and understood what it means, I have been analysing my own
skills in various areas.

I bet that didn't take long.

Old November 21st 11, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 21, 7:20*am, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that the only reliable source of knowledge
will be from someone who participates actively in any given field and
any advice that comes from anyone without actual experience and success
in the field ought to be taken very lightly. The advice from someone
without practical experience will only be (and can only be), their
biased opinion or the opinions and advice they have heard from elsewhere.

--

That is why nobody takes any notice of Cheerless as he knows nothing
at all about cycling, so one wonders why he imagines that the regular

Another deluded fool like Nugent.

--
Simon Mason

Filtering through traffic. Simon Mason[_4_] UK 78 July 1st 11 02:41 AM
Filtering, heheheh ...;) Paul - xxx[_2_] UK 0 November 16th 10 12:35 PM
In praise of filtering. Simon Mason[_4_] UK 0 November 8th 10 12:00 PM
Motorbike Filtering JNugent[_5_] UK 5 February 12th 09 10:21 AM
Filtering Squashme UK 11 February 11th 09 11:35 AM