Illogical roadsign

Old January 31st 17, 11:48 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Graham.[_6_]

Default Illogical roadsign

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 23:28:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 23:19:21 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 22:08:49 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:05:03 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 20:06:14 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 20:04:53 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:13:54 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Found this in Glasgow:
https://goo.gl/maps/DHPVmwYpM7s
"Only buses and cycles beyond this point", this sign is on both sides! And there's cars on both sides! Are you supposed to drive all the way round instead of 5 feet forwards?!

It's a nuisance to have to turn your car around, but it's not
illogical.

Are you telling me you'd actually drive right round instead of going along a 5 foot "banned" road? It's about 500 times further!

That's a different matter, and it would depend on who I thought was
watching.

So you agree with me it's a stupid rule.

I am saying I would consider ignoring it if there was no one and no
cameras watching and it wasn't school time. It's wrong, but it's about
as bad as my lawlessness gets!

Do you do the same with a red light at a pedestrian crossing when there's nobody there?

No.

Funny how selective one can be about the law.

I sometimes drive on the painted hatch islands when I think I can make
more sensible use of the available space than the CAD system that
designed the road layout.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old February 1st 17, 12:15 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Found this in Glasgow:
https://goo.gl/maps/DHPVmwYpM7s
"Only buses and cycles beyond this point", this sign is on both sides!
And there's cars on both sides! Are you supposed to drive all the way
round instead of 5 feet forwards?!

It's straightforward enough.

The signs look as though only that narrowed part of the roadway is
controlled by them (in both directions).

Effectively, the one street is now two dead-end streets, except for the
exempted vehicle classes.
Old February 1st 17, 01:06 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I ignore all stupid laws. Why wait for a non-existant pedestrian?

I sometimes drive on the painted hatch islands when I think I can make
more sensible use of the available space than the CAD system that
designed the road layout.

So do I, but someone in here recently told me that's allowed.

--
Gargoyle (n), olive-flavored mouthwash.
Old February 1st 17, 01:08 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 00:15:11 -0000, JNugent wrote:

Found this in Glasgow:
https://goo.gl/maps/DHPVmwYpM7s
"Only buses and cycles beyond this point", this sign is on both sides!
And there's cars on both sides! Are you supposed to drive all the way
round instead of 5 feet forwards?!

It's straightforward enough.

The signs look as though only that narrowed part of the roadway is
controlled by them (in both directions).

Effectively, the one street is now two dead-end streets, except for the
exempted vehicle classes.

Can't you see how ridiculous it is to ban cars from a 5 foot stretch of road. You'd seriously not just sneak through? Hell I go the wrong way down one way streets if I can see the other end.

--
As the coffin was being lowered into the ground at a Traffic Wardens funeral, a voice from inside screams:
"I'm not dead, I'm not dead. Let me out!"
Old February 1st 17, 01:53 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 00:15:11 -0000, JNugent

Found this in Glasgow:
https://goo.gl/maps/DHPVmwYpM7s
"Only buses and cycles beyond this point", this sign is on both sides!
And there's cars on both sides! Are you supposed to drive all the way
round instead of 5 feet forwards?!

It's straightforward enough.

The signs look as though only that narrowed part of the roadway is
controlled by them (in both directions).

Effectively, the one street is now two dead-end streets, except for the
exempted vehicle classes.

Can't you see how ridiculous it is to ban cars from a 5 foot stretch of
road.

It might be.

In some circumstances (eg, for the purpoose of preventing a minor road
from being over-used), it might not be.

You'd seriously not just sneak through? Hell I go the wrong way
down one way streets if I can see the other end.

I would not pass an effective No Entry sign.

I leave that sort of behaviour to cyclists and other scofflaws.
Old February 1st 17, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 23:19:21 UTC, Graham. wrote:

So you agree with me it's a stupid rule.

I am saying I would consider ignoring it if there was no one and no
cameras watching and it wasn't school time. It's wrong, but it's about
as bad as my lawlessness gets!

I dobbed him in to plod.

http://swldxer.co.uk/wrongway.wmv
Old February 1st 17, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Wrong link - http://swldxer.co.uk/noentry.wmv
Old February 1st 17, 08:18 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Mike Scott[_4_]

On 01/02/17 00:15, JNugent wrote:

Found this in Glasgow:
https://goo.gl/maps/DHPVmwYpM7s
"Only buses and cycles beyond this point", this sign is on both sides!
And there's cars on both sides! Are you supposed to drive all the way
round instead of 5 feet forwards?!

It's straightforward enough.

The signs look as though only that narrowed part of the roadway is
controlled by them (in both directions).

Effectively, the one street is now two dead-end streets, except for the
exempted vehicle classes.

And indeed marked as 'no through road "except buses and cycles"' on at
least one of the entries.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex
Old February 1st 17, 08:41 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Mike Scott
writes
On 01/02/17 00:15, JNugent wrote:

Found this in Glasgow:
https://goo.gl/maps/DHPVmwYpM7s
"Only buses and cycles beyond this point", this sign is on both sides!
And there's cars on both sides! Are you supposed to drive all the way
round instead of 5 feet forwards?!

It's straightforward enough.

The signs look as though only that narrowed part of the roadway is
controlled by them (in both directions).

Effectively, the one street is now two dead-end streets, except for the
exempted vehicle classes.

And indeed marked as 'no through road "except buses and cycles"' on at
least one of the entries.

I've had a look along Hotspur Street, and I can't see any sign other
signs (either way) that indicate that it's a dead-end for cars. However,
I guess they must be there somewhere. It isn't normal to allow you to go
all the way along a road, and then suddenly tell you that it's a
cul-de-sac.

--
Ian
Old February 1st 17, 08:59 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Vidcapper

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:53:21 -0000, Tony Dragon
wrote:

On 31-Jan-17 7:13 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Found this in Glasgow:
https://goo.gl/maps/DHPVmwYpM7s
"Only buses and cycles beyond this point", this sign is on both sides!
And there's cars on both sides! Are you supposed to drive all the way
round instead of 5 feet forwards?!

It means what it says, 'only buses & cycles beyond this point'.

So nothing except buses & cycles are allowed to use that section of road
between the two signs.

What, all 5 feet of it? That's absurd. Nobody's going to drive all the
way round the block for that.

Besides, no bus could fit within a 5ft section of road

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham