"We Object to Dirty Air!"

Old May 30th 12, 06:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_10_]

Default "We Object to Dirty Air!"

"8.30am, Wednesday 30th May, Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand (map)

Client Earth took Defra to court over breaching EU air quality laws in
December 2011. Defra was forced to admit that our air is illegally
polluted but they weren’t forced to change their plans to improve our
air quality so that we can breathe safely. If Defra are ordered by the
Court to clean up their act it would make a huge difference to our
quality of air and quality of life. The Court of Appeal will review
the case tomorrow and we will be outside the Royal Courts of Justice
to let the judge know that we object to dirty air!

Join us at 8:30am, bring your colourful feather duster, marigolds,
headscarf and pinny and help us clean the Court. We are especially
hoping that people affected by asthma might come along and join us –
if you would like any more info on this action then get in touch with
us at or read more about the case he

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news...ollution-plans

"...The case concerns Defra's proposals to bring nitrogen dioxide
(NO2) within legal limits by 1 January 2015, which includes plans to
encourage more local councils to introduce low-emissions zones for
road transport.

However, the plans showed that 17 of the air quality zones, including
London, would still fail to achieve compliance by 2015, meaning the UK
could potentially face multimillion-pound fines from Brussels for
failing to hit the target..."

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.
Old May 30th 12, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_11_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

What about the pollution from particulate pollen that trees and grasses
put out in vast clouds every spring and summer without a by-your-leave,
and which causes such untold misery that there are shelves full of
medications in Boots to deal with the consequences? It's a far worse
problem than NO2, so why aren't your mates dealing with that?

Old May 30th 12, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr. Benn[_6_]

"Doug" wrote in message
snip

Stop eating lentils.

Old May 30th 12, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
®i©ardo

On 30/05/2012 09:14, Mr. Benn wrote:
wrote in message
snip

Stop eating lentils.

....or stop breathing!

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old May 30th 12, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nightjar

On 30/05/2012 06:35, Doug wrote:
[...]

We obviously need more concrete in London:

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...108_116412.htm

Colin Bignell

Old May 31st 12, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_10_]

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news...t-appeal-pollu...

"...The case concerns Defra's proposals to bring nitrogen dioxide
(NO2) within legal limits by 1 January 2015, which includes plans to
encourage more local councils to introduce low-emissions zones for
road transport.

However, the plans showed that 17 of the air quality zones, including
London, would still fail to achieve compliance by 2015, meaning the UK
could potentially face multimillion-pound fines from Brussels for
failing to hit the target..."

What about the pollution from particulate pollen that trees and grasses
put out in vast clouds every spring and summer without a by-your-leave,
and which causes such untold misery that there are shelves full of
medications in Boots to deal with the consequences? *It's a far worse
problem than NO2, so why aren't your mates dealing with that?

Where did you get the idea that pollen is worse? Source? BTW, why do
you seem to be in favour of harmful air pollution from cars, instead
of condemning it?

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.
Old May 31st 12, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_10_]

On May 30, 5:11*pm, Nightjar
wrote:
On 30/05/2012 06:35, Doug wrote:

[...]

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...20061108_11641...

Ironic in a city without cars.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old May 31st 12, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Fredxx[_2_]

On 31/05/2012 07:12, Doug wrote:
On May 30, 8:45 am, "Norman wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

?? How many people suffer from asthma and hayfever from pollen, far more
than from NO2. Where do you get the idea of anything different?

What's wrong with Londoners stewing in their own pollution?

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to save.

Old May 31st 12, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Fredxx wrote:
On 31/05/2012 07:12, Doug wrote:
On May 30, 8:45 am, "Norman wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Turn off your gas!
as I have told you before, domestic gas usage puts out more NOx than cars do
(in London) Since you are too lazy to look it up, here is the link:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-workshops.pdf

I suppose you will now tell me that I have invented and created that report
and somehow put it on the tfl website.

Old May 31st 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_11_]

Doug wrote:
On May 30, 8:45 am, "Norman Wells" wrote:

What about the pollution from particulate pollen that trees and
grasses put out in vast clouds every spring and summer without a
by-your-leave, and which causes such untold misery that there are
shelves full of medications in Boots to deal with the consequences?
It's a far worse problem than NO2, so why aren't your mates dealing
with that?

Where did you get the idea that pollen is worse? Source? BTW, why do
you seem to be in favour of harmful air pollution from cars, instead
of condemning it?

Just look in Boots. Endless rows of medications to deal with hayfever,
rhinitis, synovitis, conjunctivitis and allergies. Endless preparations
of anti-histamines and steroids. All to combat the effects of tree and
grass pollen pollution. Everyone knows loads of people with such
allergies. You yourself have one, even though you try to blame it
without any foundation whatever on car pollution.

Now show me the equivalent medications in Boots to deal with ailments
caused by car pollution.

See, it's not a problem. Pollen undoubtedly is.

A tree is a licence to kill.