Uni Toolkit

Old October 20th 05, 09:25 PM
tahognome

Default Uni Toolkit

What do you experienced riders think I should have on hand at all times
(at least, available at home, if not actually on me) for repairing my
unicycle?

--
tahognome
tahognome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11025

Old October 20th 05, 10:32 PM
TheObieOne3226

Tire Levers
All necessary allens and hex wrenches (buy a set, be it english or
metric(usually) from an auto shop for like $6, and if you have square
taper cranks, a 14mm socket)
Lubricant
Crank puller
Spoke wrench
Duct tape

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

Old October 20th 05, 10:46 PM
tholub

It depends what kind of riding you're doing; if you get a flat, can you
walk home?

On all my rides out, I have a Topeak Alien tool (allen wrenches, tire
levers, sockets including 10mm for the main cap bearings, screwdrivers,
and bottle opener), a patch kit, and a portable pump. If I'm on my
Profile setup I'll also have a long-handle funky Allen key to tighten
those bolts. Generally for MUni and for group rides I'll bring along a
spoke wrench (saved my butt when I tacoed my wheel in Moab in 2003). A
5" vise grips can replace almost any other tool in a pinch, so that's a
good one to have.

At home, you'll need grease, a crank puller, pedal wrench, 10mm and
14mm sockets, and probably a hacksaw as you collect more unicycles with
inappropriately-sized seatposts.

--
tholub

Old October 21st 05, 07:39 PM
fexnix

TheObieOne3226 wrote:

Duct tape

D u c t t a p e !

--
fexnix

'*My fresh gallery*' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
'knarkargänget' (http://surl.se/elt)

\"u can **** off u retard it says sidehop not high jump so shut da f**k
up and go ride a b*ke. nob!\" /butty
fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

Old October 21st 05, 10:29 PM
Chrashing

'Coolest crank/pedal wrench for the road. ' (http://tinyurl.com/c9sgw)

BTW: If you are needing to tighten your cranks or pedals a lot,you may
not be torquing them tight enough.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Old October 21st 05, 11:44 PM
maestro8

Chrashing wrote:
'Coolest crank/pedal wrench for the road. ' (http://tinyurl.com/c9sgw)

...correction... for square-taper setups... but I will agree it is a
nice combo for one tool!

Chrashing wrote:
BTW: If you are needing to tighten your cranks or pedals a lot,you may
not be torquing them tight enough.

Before torquing your cranks/pedals to death, take some precautions:

- Pedal threads should be coated with grease / anti-sieze if you
would like to remove the pedal at some point in the future
- Crank bolts can be held in place with blue Loc-tite (the mild kind)
instead of excessive torque. If you strip your axle, you'll have to
re-build the wheel... not fun!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old October 21st 05, 11:46 PM
maestro8

fexnix wrote:
D u c t t a p e !

* D U C T T A P E ! ! ! *
...not just for your uni, but also for ripped clothing, broken skin,
missing shoelaces and when you're really, really hungry!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old October 22nd 05, 12:25 AM
mikepenton

if it's to take with you, the answer depends on the target for the ride.

if you're going a reasonable distance, then enough tools to fix most
(or all) problems on the uni you're taking. if someone's coming with
you on surplus wheels, get them to carry it!

As for tools at home, you'll not need stuff like crank puller, spoke
key if you've got someone you can borrow them from! The other option is
to go overboard until you've more tools than unis (like me)

minimalist transport - minimal tools.

--
mikepenton
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

Old October 22nd 05, 01:05 AM
redhead

Unicycle Pump!!

--
redhead

"Watch me do that agein!" Shaun E. Johanneson
redhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9985

Old October 22nd 05, 02:14 AM
dogfeathersvt

In my "bum bag" I carry a few small wrenches including an adjustable.
Also a set of allens, a broken down swiss army knife and a pen (for
writing down email addresses of people who seem interested in
unicycling).

I wish I could find a lightweight driver for a socket (14mm). Getting a
loose crank is a bad thing on a long ride.

--
dogfeathersvt
dogfeathersvt's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4648