Is Drillium Cool Again?

Old June 25th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_12_]

Default Is Drillium Cool Again?

On 2009-06-24,
wrote:

And if you love friction shifting, its probably
wonderful. But if you love friction shifting, then whatever you are
riding right now will shift the same as this bike. No performance
upgrade to be had.
Meh. Campy friction shifters were nothing special. People who wanted
better shifters installed Simplex "retrofriction" shifters instead of
Campy.

Only the dorks used Simplex. The hard core stuck with Campy friction
shifters and suffered for fashion. It was a built in excuse for
getting dropped out of a finishing sprint. That and defective toe
clip straps. -- Jay Beattie.

Huh. I though the usual protocol after losing a sprint was to throw the
bicycle and yell at the mechanic.

Isn't that the lost-ITT protocol?

Mark J.
Old June 26th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jun 25, 2:30*pm, Still Just Me...
wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:28:33 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie

wrote:
Only the dorks used Simplex. *The hard core stuck with Campy friction
shifters and suffered for fashion. It was a built in excuse for
getting dropped out of a finishing sprint. *That and defective toe
clip straps. -- Jay Beattie.

So "dorks" = "intelligent" and typically "winner" ?

Most of the regular winners were on Campagnolo top to bottom. These
same Campy loyalists were still riding NR/SR derailleurs years after
the dorks had switched to SIS -- which the loyalists regarded as
Fisher-Price toys for the unsophisticated and over-compensated. After
that wore off and the serious riders jumped ship to Shimano, Campy
whirled down the toilet for a few years. Then came Ergo, and the rest
is history. -- Jay Beattie.
Old June 27th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 24, 8:37*am, jim beam wrote:

eh? *so you're going to "repair" a buckled tube? *or straighten and use
a bent brake lever? *don't think so trevor!

Brake levers are, in my experience, quite ductile, and almost always
very lightly stressed. I've bent them to customize them for people
with small hands. They've worked fine for years, with never a
failure.

I know this response will trigger jim beam abuse, but truth often
does.

- Frank Krygowski

Old June 27th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 24 June, 13:37, jim beam wrote:
RonSonic wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:33:43 -0700, jim beam wrote:

someone wrote:
On 24 June, 00:55, RonSonic wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:52:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
RonSonic wrote:
Has drillium reached the age of retro cool?
Or is it not yet time for it to appear again?
I'm refitting an old bike and need to know whether to break out the drill press
and start jigging things.
The bar is higher now:
http://www.raydobbins.com/ebay/bike-...s_for_sale.htm
Got a couple hundred hours to spare?
Nice. Amazing he can sell it for that given the time and parts budget this thing
absorbed. But it's enough for him to afford to do another so it's probably
enough.

I don't even know who made my mongrel so we'll just let the thoroughbreds like
that be.
Components usually end up getting polished and/or lightened because of
crash damage. *Todays carbon parts will fetch a premiun in forty years
time because few will survive the crash damage.
eh? *that erroneously presumes it's as strong as traditional materials.
*in fact, quality cfrp is stronger. *thus it'll break less frequently,
not more.

We'll really have to see how it ages. My personal experience with carbon is
limited but favorable.

How well the stuff holds up for the general market will vary according to
application and the implementation of new breakrhroughs in cutting corners.

my cfrp commuter fork is 20 years old and is holding up just great.

What about those cracks by the tyre line, dont they count? I thought
that was a case for imminent failure. No steep downhillers have you?
Old June 27th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 2009-06-24, wrote:

And if you love friction shifting, its probably
wonderful. *But if you love friction shifting, then whatever you are
riding right now will shift the same as this bike. *No performance
upgrade to be had.

Meh. Campy friction shifters were nothing special. People who wanted
better shifters installed Simplex "retrofriction" shifters instead of
Campy.

The old record dt shifters were beautiful. This was an obvious belief
held by all users due to the amount of head on crashes they
experienced when they were looking at their shifters. That the
Simplex shifters were easy to grab and worked perfectly was no match
for the appearance and feel of the record levers. Much time was spent
carressing the curvacious lines of the record levers. Sun tour and
Simplex just didn't have that same magnetism extolled by the record
levers.

I preferred the (Nouvo) Gran Sport kit. I think the lines on these
were at least every bit as good as the Record. The record was more
usable when sharing the same chainring mountings as the track.
Old June 28th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:

hey, I *like* rat rods and wooden boats!

I think that if I saw a primer black '53 Stude pulling an old
Hemi-powered Cigarette I might explode in a retro-cool joyfulness overload.

I think you're mistaking cigarette boats, which were/are offshore racers
made of glass, starting in the '60's (Donzi's, etc., used to smuggle
cigarettes) with an earlier generation of speedboat, like the old Chris
Craft's that were used to smuggle whiskey during prohibition ("rum
runners").

The owner of the marina where I've kept my sailboat for 35 years
restores old Chris Craft's. He set up one exactly the way they were
raced in the '20's, complete with a fully restored WWI Hispano-Suiza
seaplane engine. He and a friend contemplated buying the "Miss Bardahl":
http://www.missbardahl.com/
an unlimited class hydroplane for full restoration. That puppy has a
WWII Rolls Royce "Merlin" engine (3,000 hp). They decided not to when
they realized ownership might be fatal (180 mph). Those guys were some
serious motorheads. Rum runners with hemi's were their every day drivers.

Nice to see that someone has finally restored the Miss Bardahl, perhaps
the most famous motor boat ever raced.
Old June 28th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:37 am, jim beam wrote:
eh? so you're going to "repair" a buckled tube? or straighten and use
a bent brake lever? don't think so trevor!

Brake levers are, in my experience, quite ductile, and almost always
very lightly stressed. I've bent them to customize them for people
with small hands. They've worked fine for years, with never a
failure.

but how did you "stress relieve" then? becuase we all know cold work
induces residual stress and thus subsequent triggers failure...

I know this response will trigger jim beam abuse, but truth often
does.

ye olde passive-aggressive bait? because you don't know what you're
****ing talking about so want a fight instead? you're a ****ing idiot
krygowski.
Old June 29th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 29 June, 01:48, Still Just Me...
wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 02:15:14 -0400, RonSonic

wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__0_.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__1_.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__2_.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__3_.jpg

More sweet stuff. Thanks Jobst and Lee.

Yeah, this stuff is cool ... still. Probably never be a mainstream look again,
but as a functional folk art it's somewhere between rat rods and wooden boats.

Like the previous, this stuff goes past practical, to static artwork.

Drillium is very nice when the part retains functionality. When you
pass that point, it's only interesting.

Functionality does not need to be ugly. I'm all for art and function,
but not art without function. Exceptions for purely entertainment
purposes are not discouraged. I dislike the destruction of
componentry of good artistic merit, such as the nouvo record rear
mech, with the pretense that the component is artistically improved
whilst retaining functionality. Most of those drilled mechs I have
seen listed here are poor examples of the art which have destroyed
otherwise good equipment. The nouvo record is the perfect mech for
half step setup of whichn o modern mech can challenge. Please pick
ugly equipment to practise the art. Something that can only be
improved.
Old June 30th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2009-06-29, Still Just Me wrote:

Like the previous, this stuff goes past practical, to static artwork.

Drillium is very nice when the part retains functionality. When you
pass that point, it's only interesting.

I rode this for many years, until I decided 53-42 gearing was too high
for my old legs:

http://os2.dhs.org/~john/campy-drillium1.jpeg

--

-John )
Old July 1st 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Drillium Dude

On Jun 28, 7:03*pm, someone wrote:
On 29 June, 01:48, Still Just Me...

wrote:
[...]

improved.- Hide quoted text -

I have to ask: what exactly IS art? When you aver that that you don't
agree with art without function, what are we to make of classic
paintings or sculptures - or any other inanimate object created by
man? Are they only art if they serve a function? No. They are art
in the mind of whomever appreciates them for the beauty they convey to
the beholder.

I'm sure the guy with the 22" chrome spinners regards his bling as art
- I don't happen to agree, but I won't begrudge him his opinion. Just
because a bicycle component has been modified past it's usefulness in
application likewise does not mean it hasn't become art to someone.
Fortunately, I myself only do that on the rare occasion - now, only if
I'm commissioned to do so. I personally like to do stuff that can
still be used for it's intended purpose, but as it's said, different
strokes for different folks.

It's an aesthetic thing the newer generations will just not
understand: the time, imagination and - most importantly, patience -
that goes into something like this makes it what it is in the final
analysis.

Trying to speak for one and all regarding what is art and what is not
is an absolute exercise in futility. Check out that Chevy V-8 lawn
ornament in front of the double-wide if you don't believe me...