what size is a typical axle nut?

Old September 3rd 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default what size is a typical axle nut?

just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. 13mm or other? I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 3rd 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. 13mm or other? I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

nate

Make it a crescent wrench & you're covered.
Old September 3rd 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. 13mm or other? I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

nate

In case you didn't know, it's possible to fix many flats without
removing the wheel.
Old September 3rd 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles.
I think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart
BMX I had as a kid. 13mm or other? I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. Was thinking of throwing a
cheap wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. I
know it's silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

nate

Make it a crescent wrench & you're covered.

OK, I'm not really a weight weenie, but that seems a little excessive

I have a couple cheap metric wrenches that I got with lots of yard sale
tools that had other stuff I wanted in them, and they weren't awful
enough to throw out, just wondering which one to toss in the seat bag.

nate

Old September 3rd 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 3 Sep, 00:31, Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. *Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. *I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

a typical axle nut isabout 5'10"

Old September 3rd 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 2, 6:31*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. *Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. *I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

15mm. Same as most pedal flats. I've got the funny Pedros wrench
that's 15mm on one side, and 32mm on the other. It's a headset wrench
with a free 15mm as a feature!

Old September 3rd 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Nate Nagel wrote:

just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *

Like landotter says, it's most likely 15mm. The only bikes with
nutted axles of other sizes I see anymore are ancient specimens with
14mm front nuts, or 9/16" rear and 1/2" front, etc. There have been
some not-ancient BMX bikes with 17mm nuts on 3/8" axles, but these are
uncommon.

Lots of relatively nice bikes are coming with M9x1 and M10x1 track
nuts these days, because they are ersatz "track" bikes or their single-
speed cousins.

Chalo
Old September 3rd 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. 13mm or other? I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

A "peanut butter" wrench fits standard axle nuts:
http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/00000001/product_images/TL/TL9013.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Celebrity culture is an opposite of community, informing us
Old September 3rd 09, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Sep 2, 8:47*pm, Chalo wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *

Like landotter says, it's most likely 15mm. *The only bikes with
nutted axles of other sizes I see anymore are ancient specimens with
14mm front nuts, or 9/16" rear and 1/2" front, etc.

An exception is Miche track hubs, which can have
14mm front or rear. A friend of mine had a rear
with one 15mm and one 14mm from the factory.
I didn't even know you could get a 14mm 10x1
track nut, but the Italians can.

Solid rear axle or quick release axle soup UK 5 July 30th 09 10:16 AM
Axle slipping when tightening track hub axle nut mickster Techniques 10 February 21st 06 01:18 AM
Increasing Axle Size and Length Terry Techniques 3 February 11th 06 05:51 PM
BC Axle Size? e39m5 Unicycling 8 July 21st 05 03:28 AM
new Zipp Disc track axle/road axle interchageability Gemma_k Techniques 2 April 24th 05 12:52 PM