Spoke wrench size

Old October 22nd 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gabriele R

Default Spoke wrench size

Which spoke wrench for the std 12 mm brass nipples supplied together DT
Swiss Competition DB?
1)0.127 (3.22 mm)
2) 0.130 (3.3 mm)
3) 0.136 (3.42 mm)

Neither information from the DT Swiss website nor answer from them after
my e-mail. The italian DT Swiss service (!!!) office does not sound as
well informed (he thinks !!! 3.3 mm). Park Tool website says DT requires
3.22 mm.
Thanks.
Old October 22nd 09, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Gabriele R wrote:

Which spoke wrench for the std 12 mm brass nipples supplied together DT
Swiss Competition DB?
1)0.127 (3.22 mm)
2) 0.130 (3.3 mm)
3) 0.136 (3.42 mm)

It's the black one; .127" across flats.

All DT, Sapim, and Wheelsmith spoke nipples for 2.0mm and thinner
spokes use the black wrench.

Chalo
Old October 22nd 09, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 22 Oct, 06:11, Gabriele R wrote:
Which spoke wrench for the std 12 mm brass nipples supplied together DT
Swiss Competition DB?
1)0.127 (3.22 mm)
2) 0.130 (3.3 mm)
3) 0.136 (3.42 mm)

Neither information from the DT Swiss website nor answer from them after
my e-mail. The italian DT Swiss service (!!!) office does not sound as
well informed (he thinks !!! 3.3 mm). Park Tool website says DT requires
3.22 mm.
Thanks.

In practice a 0.130" three cornered nipple key works very well. I
wont measure a nipple (I suspect they are smaller) because the
information you would gain would be from a 20 year old (possibly more)
supply. If the nipple key fits tight, you may become frustrated at
the amount of time it takes to engage and disengage. You could get a
tighter 0.127" slotted key, smooth it off and round the engagement
edges. I think this undersize (0.127) nipple flats is there to
promote speed with a standard 130 key. In this way they never jam in
the nipple key. The DT nipples are consistent and the standard
european, 130 key will work fine. The regular slotted horseshoe key I
may use is a green one on all european nipples. I have used a red
horshoe key, this was large on the DT nipples but good for others.
Old October 22nd 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 21, 11:30*pm, Chalo wrote:
Gabriele R wrote:

Which spoke wrench for the std 12 mm brass nipples supplied together DT
Swiss Competition DB?
1)0.127 (3.22 mm)
2) 0.130 (3.3 mm)
3) 0.136 (3.42 mm)

It's the black one; .127" across flats.

All DT, Sapim, and Wheelsmith spoke nipples for 2.0mm and thinner
spokes use the black wrench.

Chalo

What he said. Don't use a too large one or rounded nipples are a
result. Right tool for the job.
Old October 22nd 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 22, 12:57*am, thirty-six wrote:
On 22 Oct, 06:11, Gabriele R wrote:

Which spoke wrench for the std 12 mm brass nipples supplied together DT
Swiss Competition DB?
1)0.127 (3.22 mm)
2) 0.130 (3.3 mm)
3) 0.136 (3.42 mm)

Neither information from the DT Swiss website nor answer from them after
my e-mail. The italian DT Swiss service (!!!) office does not sound as
well informed (he thinks !!! 3.3 mm). Park Tool website says DT requires
3.22 mm.
Thanks.

In practice a 0.130" *three cornered nipple key works very well. *I
wont measure a nipple (I suspect they are smaller) because the
information you would gain would be from a 20 year old (possibly more)
supply. *If the nipple key fits tight, you may become frustrated at
the amount of time it takes to engage and disengage. *

Or you may not. For those of us that builds wheels all the time and
trues wheels all the time, the black wrench from Park or a DT one of a
Var one is the correct size.

You could get a
tighter 0.127" slotted key, smooth it off and round the engagement
edges. *I think this undersize (0.127) nipple flats is there to
promote speed with a standard 130 key.

Even for those of us that build many wheels during the year, speed is
not a consideration. Accuracy is and rounded nipples are no fun.

Old October 22nd 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gabriele R

Il 22/10/2009 14.44, Qui si parla Campagnolo ha scritto:
It's the black one; .127" across flats.

Chalo

What he said. Don't use a too large one or rounded nipples are a
result. Right tool for the job.

Roger, loud and clear.
My little experience proves such a statement and - as non professional -
time consuming is not a problem.
Thanks
Old October 22nd 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 22 Oct, 13:47, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
[...]

0.130" to 0.127" Less than a fag paper difference. This difference
in clearance does not damage nipples. If you're rounding nipples
you're either using junk (new DT nipples are not junk) and/or you are
overtensioning your spokes and not releiv=ng them as you adjust the
nipples. An accurate 0.130 key is the correct key for all European
nipples in regular bicycle gauges. I used the red Spokey to build
over a dozen wheels with DT nipples without any prblem bar that due to
the key having such a low mass which prevents self engagement. I used
it on who knows how many wheels on the road to prevent brake rub and a
few re-balncings following spoke breakage etc. I may even have a
black horseshoe key (0.127"), I dont use it because I won't search for
something that is no improvement over the correct green key (0.130").
I doubt I'll turn to any horseshoe key now that I have the metal three
cornered key. mmmm , but the horshoe key does hang on the aero brake
lever hood nice, and wheel QR levers. Sort of a good cue to remind
oneself which wheel needs checking.
Old October 23rd 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johan Bornman

On Oct 22, 5:05*pm, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

oneself which wheel needs checking.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. The Green Key works just fine and doesn't round the nipples.
The black key is just too time-consuming to bother with - I may bother
with it if I have to do a 16-spoke wheel with aluminium nipples but
that's it.

My preferred spoke key is a Spokey Yellow. Also very loose and I
rarely suffer a rounded nipple.

Old October 23rd 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 23, 10:37*am, Johan Bornman wrote:
[...]

Beating this horse but I have a new Park and Pedros spoke wrenchs in
my hand, a red, green and black. I am also building a wheel right
now, 14/15 spokes, 105 hub, Mavic OpenSport and I donno, the black
spoke wrenches fit just fine(brass nipps), the red and green ones are
pretty sloppy...

For ALU nipps I use a DT 3 sided or the new Park 3 sided..holds onto
the nipp really well and is much slower to get on, 3 sided wise but
speed means nada, IMHO, of course.

Old October 23rd 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 23 Oct, 18:55, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
[...]

Your opinion may change after using this one:
http://www.uniortools.com/katimages/19444.jpg

and there is the cyclus profi, although I've not handled one, it looks
like a speed killer.

http://www.bike24.net/images/products/p048523.jpg