Thinking Outside The Box

Old February 26th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Thinking Outside The Box

Those whacky guys who brought you the Euro are at it again:

http://transportationnation.org/2012...un-red-lights/

Yeah, what could go wrong with that?

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2012...just-two-days/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 26th 12, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 26, 10:20 am, AMuzi wrote:
Those whacky guys who brought you the Euro are at it again:

http://transportationnation.org/2012...ies-allowing-b...

Ahhhh... Progressives.

Yeah, what could go wrong with that?

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2012...clist-killed-s...

Idiot asked for it. Why should everyone else have to stop?

Old February 26th 12, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 26, 12:20*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Those whacky guys who brought you the Euro are at it again:

http://transportationnation.org/2012...ies-allowing-b...

Paris "rampant with cyclists?" Not when I was there in '02. I mean,
that was ten years ago...

Loved the (approx) "cyclists must yield to motor traffic"-- well yeah!
One way or the other...

Excuse me, but as I've tried to teach my kids, the reason you actually
stop at red lights and, especially, stop signs, since those carry more
"ignore" temptation, is so you can stop driving, or cycling, or even
walking, and pay attention to *looking*. Twice. How many times have I,
while cycling, had a motorist "not see me" even though they looked
right at me and maybe even made eye contact (!) because they didn't
want to see me? (Answer: "lots").

If a cyclist runs a red light and gets smushed, my sympathies are more
with the motor vehicle operator. Not an experience to be wished on
anyone, and said in spite of the many times I've been used as a pylon
or otherwise "as an object of aggression".
--D-y
Old February 26th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 26, 10:58 am, "
wrote:
On Feb 26, 12:20 pm, AMuzi wrote:

Those whacky guys who brought you the Euro are at it again:

http://transportationnation.org/2012...ies-allowing-b...

Paris "rampant with cyclists?" Not when I was there in '02. I mean,
that was ten years ago...

Loved the (approx) "cyclists must yield to motor traffic"-- well yeah!
One way or the other...

Agreed.

Excuse me, but as I've tried to teach my kids, the reason you actually
stop at red lights and, especially, stop signs, since those carry more
"ignore" temptation, is so you can stop driving, or cycling, or even
walking, and pay attention to *looking*. Twice. How many times have I,
while cycling, had a motorist "not see me" even though they looked
right at me and maybe even made eye contact (!) because they didn't
want to see me? (Answer: "lots").

Agreed. Situational awareness - while in motion - is not for everyone
(I guess).

If a cyclist runs a red light and gets smushed, my sympathies are more
with the motor vehicle operator. Not an experience to be wished on
anyone, and said in spite of the many times I've been used as a pylon
or otherwise "as an object of aggression".

Agreed. The blithe idiot is not just hurting himself. But I'm not in
charge of him. Why should his stupidity dictate what I must do?
Old February 27th 12, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Dan O wrote:
On Feb 26, 10:58 am,
wrote:
On Feb 26, 12:20 pm, wrote:

[...]

Just keep in mind, _every_ hotshot who deliberately runs a red light is
plenty confident. Every one figures he's way better than average, and
so skillful that he's got no need for laws. That true even of the ones
that get killed.

When you decide to do the same thing with the same attitude of
confidence, maybe you should ask yourself: "Can I _prove_ I'm different
than the unsuccessful hotshots?"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 27th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 26, 5:51 pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Feb 26, 10:58 am,
wrote:
On Feb 26, 12:20 pm, wrote:

[...]

Just keep in mind,...

No.

... _every_ hotshot who deliberately runs a red light is
plenty confident. Every one figures he's way better than average, and
so skillful that he's got no need for laws. That true even of the ones
that get killed.

When you decide to do the same thing with the same attitude of
confidence, maybe you should ask yourself: "Can I _prove_ I'm different
than the unsuccessful hotshots?"

Living proof, dude :-)

Old February 27th 12, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 27/02/12 12:51, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Feb 26, 10:58 am,

If a cyclist runs a red light and gets smushed, my sympathies are more
with the motor vehicle operator. Not an experience to be wished on
anyone, and said in spite of the many times I've been used as a pylon
or otherwise "as an object of aggression".

Agreed.

Agreed. The blithe idiot is not just hurting himself. But I'm not in
charge of him. Why should his stupidity dictate what I must do?

Also agreed.

Just keep in mind, _every_ hotshot who deliberately runs a red light is
plenty confident. Every one figures he's way better than average, and so
skillful that he's got no need for laws. That true even of the ones that
get killed.

When you decide to do the same thing with the same attitude of
confidence, maybe you should ask yourself: "Can I _prove_ I'm different
than the unsuccessful hotshots?"

When the motor vehicle sensing coils don't sense a bicycle, I don't take
a _chance_ it will be safe to proceed, I wait until it _is_ safe. Hell,
I look sideways even when the lights are in my favor!

--
JS.

Old February 27th 12, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Dan O wrote:

dustoyevsky wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Y'all are doing a superb job of shifting the ethical burden of
piloting stinking death boxes from the offenders to the victims. What
makes you believe it's inherently OK to imperil other people's lives
by using a deadly machine with a grievously faulty control system,
just because someone's too worthlessly lazy to use his own effort?
Y'all are cyclists, for crissakes. If this is the prevailing attitude
among people who should know better, it's no wonder that hit-and-run
assaults are out of control and the authorities are doing nothing to
fix the problem.

But hey, your convenience is far more important than other peoples'
lives and well-being. This is an opinion shared by almost all
motorists, so it must be true.

At least we can all enjoy the consequences of the hideous
unsustainable resource gluttony of cars. Energy scarcity and the
resultant skyrocketing operating cost is probably the only thing that
will cure us of our stinking death boxes (if we don't die from them
first).

Chalo
Old February 27th 12, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:
dustoyevsky wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Maybe we should make railroad crossing lights optional as
well. And remove the gates, which drivers evade regularly.

(after which, news reports semantically twist the event to
'tragedy', often reporting 'train hits car' as opposed to
'driver ran light')

Old February 27th 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 26, 8:21*pm, Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:

dustoyevsky wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I was practically wiped out by a bicycle running a red light a while
ago while riding home. I am frequently dodging pedestrians while
riding through green lights. If Paris is that thick with bicycles,
then they're going to start running into each other if they're running
lights. In a dense city, you can't have one mode of transportation
following one set of rules, and another mode of transportation
following another -- not when they're all on the same road.

-- Jay Beattie.