Tire shopping by size and bikes for little people...

Old January 11th 16, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Tire shopping by size and bikes for little people...

I have noticed that it's really difficult to shop for bicycle tires by
ISO size--not only for all tires (or just all major brand names) but
even within a single tire company's website. Is there any way to do this
other than just using Google?
,,,
A particular example is that I went looking for the sizes that Kenda
Kwest tires could be had in, since I couldn't find any listed for a
couple odd sizes (355 and 507mm). Because there isn't. But even on the
Kenda website, the Kwest isn't listed under "road" or "commuting" tires,
it is listed as a racing tire in the wheelchair category,,, even tho the
smallest size made is 20" / 406mm (that's a little wheelchair to be out
racing, I'd think). And the Kwests are 1.5" wide, quite a lot wider than
the commonly-used tires for wheelchair racing that I've seen elsewhere.

The manufacturer sites prefer to list the tires by model and then size,
with no way to search for a particular size across all models they
currently make. Some even kinda bury models that aren't from the current
year.

-------

Also I got curious about 650c tires, and found that most all tri bikes
are back to using 700c sizes. Some companies still use 650c for their
smallest frame sizes. A couple companies are building custom frames for
the 520 or 540mm sizes (Terry ect). Are most short people just suffering
on 700c bikes now, or are they clinging to ancient 650c bikes?
Old January 11th 16, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/10/2016 9:33 PM, DougC wrote:
[...]

in re fashion: it changes. See also concurrent thread about
fashion changes in brazed bits.

For the munchkins among us, a 650C design allows a lot less
top tube and standover while retaining a light snappy
competition format:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfd650t2.jpg

As a guy who has jumped into tire manufacture, you're well
aware that 'popular' and 'useful' may overlap but are not
always the same thing for every rider.

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/f...-sports/kwest/

regarding a nice 650C:
http://bike.michelinman.com/tires/mi...ice-course#dim

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 11th 16, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/10/2016 7:33 PM, DougC wrote:
I have noticed that it's really difficult to shop for bicycle tires by
ISO size--not only for all tires (or just all major brand names) but
even within a single tire company's website. Is there any way to do this
other than just using Google?
,,,
A particular example is that I went looking for the sizes that Kenda
Kwest tires could be had in, since I couldn't find any listed for a
couple odd sizes (355 and 507mm). Because there isn't. But even on the
Kenda website, the Kwest isn't listed under "road" or "commuting" tires,
it is listed as a racing tire in the wheelchair category,,, even tho the
smallest size made is 20" / 406mm (that's a little wheelchair to be out
racing, I'd think). And the Kwests are 1.5" wide, quite a lot wider than
the commonly-used tires for wheelchair racing that I've seen elsewhere.

Not perfect, but the biketiresdirect web site has a pretty good search
engine.

i.e.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search?kw2=57-584
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search?kw2=kwest

I have noticed the same problem you have found on sites like Performance
and Nashbar.

Old January 12th 16, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Right...BTD...YTTWROOMM..

or Universal Cycles

Jenson in MTB

but by manufacturer is best. I get lost at UC..

The factory displays by use with popular up front. So you, as an intelligent life form, have defined a use (wuhwuhwuh) and NOW search the use category for YOUR SIZE.

Size then Use is impractical as redunant.

IHS
Old January 12th 16, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Later...a GooSearch of:

29er sand tires

Brings in

Uno: flack with 'sand'

Dose: a heavy ....supply of advice.

We leave you to follow with your prblem
Old January 13th 16, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 1/11/2016 8:21 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

The website for Cheng Shin Tires *almost* does it right,,,, First you
must choose a 'type' of tire, but then you can search by the casual inch
designation, or by the ETRTO size--but with the ETRTO size, the WIDTH is
listed first. So the tires are primarily grouped by width, rather than
diameter.

http://www.csttires.com/int/bike/standard/

Bikes for very fat people Colin UK 30 July 27th 06 06:21 PM
Tube Size vs. Tire Size donna Unicycling 7 July 24th 05 02:15 PM
Getting more people out on their bikes Wild Wind UK 32 June 14th 04 09:21 AM
What size road bike do you ride(attn short people) BIGDIEFER General 1 September 29th 03 12:04 AM
Bikes For Fat People [email protected] Techniques 8 September 16th 03 01:43 AM