What happens to the road?

Old July 29th 03, 02:20 PM
Tony W

Default What happens to the road?

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
I'm planning my Land's End to John O'Groats ride.

I'm painstakingly going over the ride at 1:25,000 scale, and marking
down grid references so my GPS can guide me away from main roads.
Weaving a route through the Midlands, is proving to be especially
tricky - but I thought I had found a way until I found this...

http://www.getamap.co.uk/ (Click on *Get-a-map*)

Tap in grid reference SJ703837 and click go

Burford Lane seems to end at the canal and Mill Lane carries on the
other side. Now look at it on the 1:50,000 survey. It looks like the
road goes under the canal. But on the 1:250,000 survey it appears to
keep going. On multimap:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...0&GridN=387300

The road seems to cross the canal at the 1:10,000 scale.

What happens? Does anyone know?

As always, www.streetmap.co.uk provides better results -- especially when
provided with the correct data.

ITYM SJ703873.

Streetmap confirms :-

1. OS shows the road goes under the canal

2. That the road is the B5159 on both sides of the canal.

3. And is contiguous.

Old July 29th 03, 06:22 PM
Trevor Barton

Tony W wrote:

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
[...]

I hope you mean continuous ;-) If it were contiguous you might expect
a gap with nothing in between, or perhaps a fence (or canal) across the road.
If it's continuous you can reasonably expect to be able to travel along
it unimpeded!

Trev
Old July 29th 03, 06:29 PM
Tony W

"Trevor Barton" wrote in message

3. And is contiguous.

I hope you mean continuous ;-) If it were contiguous you might expect
a gap with nothing in between, or perhaps a fence (or canal) across the

road.
If it's continuous you can reasonably expect to be able to travel along
it unimpeded!

Bloody spell checker.

: )

Old July 29th 03, 11:54 PM
Mark Williams

Gonzalez writes:

Tap in grid reference SJ703837 and click go

ITIYM SJ703873?

Burford Lane seems to end at the canal and Mill Lane carries on the
other side. Now look at it on the 1:50,000 survey. It looks like
the road goes under the canal. But on the 1:250,000 survey it
appears to keep going. On multimap:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...0&GridN=387300

The road seems to cross the canal at the 1:10,000 scale.

What happens? Does anyone know?

It goes through a traffic-light controlled tunnel underneath the
canal.

Disclaimer: I haven't lived in Lymm (or indeed the North West) for ten
years, but I very much doubt that the road in question has changed.
If no-one else is able to give a more up-to-date assurance and you are
still concerned, then try getting in touch with the Marina on
Warrington Road (URL:http://www.lmbs.co.uk/ according to Google).

p.s. Best wishes with your ride. A brief report here afterwards would
not go amiss!

--
Mark
Old July 31st 03, 03:43 PM
Andy

I intend to keep a daily diary. A brief report you won't get! A blow
by blow account, perhaps.

I'm starting my end2end tomorrow and will be updating my blog whenever
I find net access: http://www.andy-cooke.co.uk/blog/

I'm following one of the CTC routes so I've not had to do much actual
route planning myself, but I'll be using pages cut out from the
Philip's Navigator road atlas (ISBN: 0-540-07817-4, 1.5 miles/inch,
20quid) which has served me well on a few trial rides and seems to
have every small country road you could hope for marked. No contours,
but there are little black arrows to scare me!

cheers,
Andy
Old August 1st 03, 08:48 PM
Richard Bullock

It goes through a traffic-light controlled tunnel underneath the
canal.

Indeed it does - I came this way a couple of weeks ago.

Ric