Sweden

Old April 9th 05, 07:47 PM
Frans Smulders

Default Sweden

We plan to visit Sweden next summer. What bike should I bring atb or
roadrace? What state are the roads in Mid-Sweden?

Frans

Old April 9th 05, 10:45 PM
David Dermott

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Frans Smulders wrote:

We plan to visit Sweden next summer. What bike should I bring atb or
roadrace? What state are the roads in Mid-Sweden?

It depends what you mean by "roadrace" bike, what you want to do,
where exactly you are going.

I had no trouble with my touring bike and 700 x 32 tires on paved and
unpaved roads in central and southern Sweden. If you have 700 x 20 tires
there are still lots of good paved roads. I saw lots of "racers" training.

But Sweden is a large country by European standards, and even in
mid/south Sweden (south of 60 deg) there is a great variety of terrain,
Extreme southern Sweden (Skåne) is more like Denmark.

I've cycled in Sweden 3 times and would gladly go again if it wasn't
such a hassle to get there from here. Stories of my 1994 and 1996
trips on my WWW pages. I promise I WILL SOON complete the story of my 2002
trip :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old April 10th 05, 10:31 PM
Frans Smulders

My road racer is a cannondale F700 3*9 with 700-23 tires at 7-9 bar

Frans
"David Dermott" schreef in bericht

Old April 19th 05, 12:27 AM
David Dermott

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Frans Smulders wrote:

My road racer is a cannondale F700 3*9 with 700-23 tires at 7-9 bar

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Frans Smulders wrote:

We plan to visit Sweden next summer. What bike should I bring atb or
roadrace? What state are the roads in Mid-Sweden?

Hmm, still no other replies, especially from riders in Sweden??

I'm sure that you will be able to find many good roads in central
Sweden suitable for 700-23 tires.

You could try asking on the news-group "swnet.sport.cykel". Although
the main language on swnet.sport.cykel is Swedish they don't seem to
mind a posting in English. One of their regulars is an Englishman
living in Sweden (Mora, I think). He often posts in English himself.

If you give details about exact locations in Sweden, they might be
able to give you names of local cycling clubs for training partners.
There are lot of Swedish clubs that do serious training rides. The main
cycling events in Sweden are "motionlopp" or non-timed
mass-participation "races". The largest (which every serious cyclist
must ride at least once!) is 300km which has about 17000 riders.
I think this year it will be on June 17.
See: http://www.cyklavaettern.com/

--

http://www.dermott.ca/
or: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

Sweden simme666 Unicycling 57 November 24th 04 12:38 AM
Åre, Sweden ~VIDEO~ p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 13 August 23rd 04 04:05 AM
A question for the folks over the pond Åre, Sweden. P e t e F a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 2 February 1st 04 09:41 AM