now, how did that happen?

Old June 22nd 05, 05:13 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default now, how did that happen?

Riding a fairly easy, fun trail this evening ... somehow ended up on the
wrong line for a short, rocky climb and found myself waay to the
outside, riding in soft dirt (still on the trail, though; the dropoff
ensured that). Tried to pedal through it and --

Bam! Went from vertical to horizontal without even realizing it
was happening. I guess that dirt at the edge of the trail was looser
than I thought. My shin's a bit achy; I think it got tweaked when my
leg freed itself from the pedal.

Despite my novice nature, I don't fall terribly often. Dabs, sure,
but almost never do I or my bike hit the ground. This one took me
completely by surprise.

Oh, and this was a landmark ride! It's the first time I've ever been
stuck behind a male rider going slower than me on a descent.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old June 22nd 05, 06:20 AM
Dean A. Stepper

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
[...]

I know exactly what you mean about being on the ground wondering how it
happened. I hit the ground more often than I would like.

Glad you are back riding again, I have enjoyed your posts.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:17 AM
spademan o---[) *

Good job. Its part of the unwritten law of MTB'ing that you have to
fill your annual crash quota, if you do not you are due a really big
stack.
Steve.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:38 AM
Shaun aRe

"spademan o---[) *" wrote in message
ups.com...
Good job. Its part of the unwritten law of MTB'ing that you have to
fill your annual crash quota, if you do not you are due a really big
stack.
Steve.

****, I'd better get some riding in then before it's too late!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - 3rd Osteopath appt. tonight - looking forward to more spinal
crunching!

Old June 22nd 05, 06:07 PM
Paladin

[...]

First, glad to hear your back, second, that you're riding again. Third, the
torque your bike is under on climbs can make it behave kinda squirrely if
you all of a sudden lose traction under power or something else crazy sneaks
up on you such as your rear wheel rolling up onto a rock that gets
dislodged, shoots west fast, as you careen(sp?) east, going over.

And shins take a terrible beating. I've got a new riding buddy, who's
really pretty good, but the doof almost always wears his shin pads. Can't
say I really blame him, ya know.

CDB

Old June 22nd 05, 06:24 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-22, Paladin penned:

First, glad to hear your back, second, that you're riding again.
Third, the torque your bike is under on climbs can make it behave
kinda squirrely if you all of a sudden lose traction under power or
something else crazy sneaks up on you such as your rear wheel
rolling up onto a rock that gets dislodged, shoots west fast, as you
careen(sp?) east, going over.

Yep, yep. Climbing can definitely be tricky, even without the steps I
don't yet even attempt. This was going from solid traction to loose
dirt several inches deep. If I'd realized how loose it was, well, I'm
sure I'd have tried harder to get back to a central line. Not quite
sure what I could have done to actually ride through it.

And shins take a terrible beating. I've got a new riding buddy,
who's really pretty good, but the doof almost always wears his shin
pads. Can't say I really blame him, ya know.

My shins haven't been too much of a problem; my calves seem to take
the beating. In this case, though, my shin never hit anything ...
somehow, though, the muscle got wrenched. I think it had something to
do with an involuntary release from the pedal, but I'm not exactly
sure. I took Aleve last night, and now it feels fine.

Old June 22nd 05, 06:31 PM
lowkey

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Riding a fairly easy, fun trail this evening ... somehow ended up on the
wrong line for a short, rocky climb and found myself waay to the
outside, riding in soft dirt (still on the trail, though; the dropoff
ensured that). Tried to pedal through it and --

Bam! Went from vertical to horizontal without even realizing it
was happening. I guess that dirt at the edge of the trail was looser
than I thought. My shin's a bit achy; I think it got tweaked when my
leg freed itself from the pedal.

Despite my novice nature, I don't fall terribly often. Dabs, sure,
but almost never do I or my bike hit the ground. This one took me
completely by surprise.

Oh, and this was a landmark ride! It's the first time I've ever been
stuck behind a male rider going slower than me on a descent.

Though I guess that would explain why he going slower, wouldn't it?

;-)

I've had an interesting trial section this year. It is graded 1 black
diamond - whateverthehell that means.

Anyways the section in question cuts diagonally across a slope of long
grass/small bush. I've taken the trail in years past without too much
trouble. First time this year though I seemed to brake inappropriately on a
steeper and rougher spot and complete a... ummmmm... sudden unintentional
dismount.

It was probably the best SUD I've ever made. I saw it coming and pretty
much decided how to and where I wanted on the soft grass with out so much as
a scratch, bruise, or even a sore spot. I thought at the time that maybe I
was just not up to the challenge that day.

Fast forward to the next time I ride the trail and I am cautious
remembering my last time. I get to that section and I have to go feet down
to avoid doing another dismount. I am really surprised as this trail never
gave me these conniptions in past years. I speculate the trail must have
eroded somewhat changing its' characteristics.

Writing about it I'm thinking I give it another run.

--
'The wisest of the wise may err.'
-aeschylus

Old June 23rd 05, 05:56 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-22, Dean A. Stepper penned:

I know exactly what you mean about being on the ground wondering how
it happened. I hit the ground more often than I would like.

I'm actually surprised at how little I've fallen. Of course, hitting
the ground even once is more often than I'd like =P

Glad you are back riding again, I have enjoyed your posts.

Thanks!

Old June 23rd 05, 06:00 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-22, lowkey penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Despite my novice nature, I don't fall terribly often. Dabs, sure,
but almost never do I or my bike hit the ground. This one took me
completely by surprise.

Oh, and this was a landmark ride! It's the first time I've ever
been stuck behind a male rider going slower than me on a descent.

Though I guess that would explain why he going slower, wouldn't it?

;-)

Hrrm? The fall was on a completely different section of the trail.
This guy hadn't even seen me at that point.

Fast forward to the next time I ride the trail and I am cautious
remembering my last time. I get to that section and I have to go
feet down to avoid doing another dismount. I am really surprised as
this trail never gave me these conniptions in past years. I
speculate the trail must have eroded somewhat changing its'
characteristics.

Possibly. If you're being cautious because of that one mishap,
though, you are probably riding it more slowly than you used to, and
it's just easier for things to go wrong when you're going slow.

Writing about it I'm thinking I give it another run.

Definitely do so! I'm a big believer in keeping at a tough section
until I get it right; if I don't do that, then the next time I'm at
that section, I freak out even worse.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:01 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-22, spademan o---[) * penned:
Good job. Its part of the unwritten law of MTB'ing that you have to
fill your annual crash quota, if you do not you are due a really big
stack.
Steve.

I didn't know that, but now I'll attempt to engineer a minor
prophylactic fall every so often.

Things happen in 3's Iain Jones UK 5 May 24th 04 10:40 PM
ever happen to you? Dave Racing 0 May 3rd 04 01:04 AM
it had to happen sooner or later ..... Doug Steel UK 321 March 15th 04 08:20 PM
What didn't happen on the way to work today Claire Petersky General 20 October 2nd 03 07:55 PM
Lance How can it happen James Cagney Racing 7 July 20th 03 07:53 PM