Passing on the right.......

Old May 20th 05, 01:27 PM
Bob Burns

WE lived in Irvington when first married, then later in Cedar Grove. I
actually grew up in Hillside, in Union County, and went to college at Newark
Rutgers. WE moved out in '66 to Michigan and never looked back!

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob Burns wrote:

BTW, Maggie, I'm an ex-Essex County person.

What town did you live in? Most people think of Essex county as
Newark. They don't seem to understand how many towns make up Essex
County. I don't think I could explain Essex County to people who do
not live here. It's a strange, fast paced, area with alot of road rage.
Not at all a laid back type of area.

Maggie.

Old May 20th 05, 01:42 PM
Maggie

Bob Burns wrote:
WE lived in Irvington when first married, then later in Cedar Grove.

actually grew up in Hillside, in Union County, and went to college at

Newark
Rutgers. WE moved out in '66 to Michigan and never looked back!

Rutgers is a great school. I like Cedar Grove. I have friends who
work for Modern Drummer Magazine in Cedar Grove. Nice town. I was
born in Jersey and I will probably die in Jersey.

Actually I probably would miss Jersey if I left. :-) Last night I saw
a commercial about New Jersey and they had two people riding their
bikes on this beautiful path in the woods somewhere. No one was on the
path, and there were no cracks and no bumps. I have to find out where
that is.

Maybe they filmed the commercial for Jersey in another state.

Maggie

Old May 21st 05, 01:50 PM
Bob Burns

WE walked on the Raritan Canal towpath near East Brunswick last year with
friends who still lived in NJ. The trail was very nice, a few people but not
many. Lots of trees, etc. Friends have since moved to VA.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
"Maggie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old May 22nd 05, 02:24 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I agree on all points. I'll add that bells sound cheerier than barking orders
at pedestrians. Bells are good.

I have one that sounds just like the bell in the QUEEN song. Essential,
IMHO.

EFR
Ile de France
Old May 22nd 05, 02:32 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

efistrat wrote:
Roy Owen wrote:

As a cyclist if you hear "ON

YOUR

LEFT" you can safely assume that a cyclist is approaching from the

rear

and intends to pass you on the left [...]

Yes. Cyclists know this. Pedestrians generally don't. Also, a
cyclist approaching from the rear of pedestrians is in a poor position
to know what or how well the pedestrians can hear.

I find a simple "Attention vélo" works best. That way the pedestrians
look behind them and figure it out for themselves.

EFR
Ile de France

Old May 22nd 05, 02:43 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

I think a bell is an essential accoutrement for urban riding.
That said, I prefer to use them more as a salutory than an
alarm device. In other words, a bell should say something
more to the effect of "Hi. Just to let you know, here I am"
instead of "Get out of my way!" The Civilized thing, y'know.

I believe here in France bicycles are required by LAW to have bells
audible within 50 metres. It's not an option to take them off.

EFR
Ile de France
Old May 22nd 05, 02:50 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Maggie wrote:
Paul R wrote:

What's a walking track?

We have a track in our town that has the lanes painted on it. You know.
A track. A place where they hold track and field events. The track has
lanes, in the center is a field. You know. Like you see at the Olympics.
It is a place to walk or jog and not be run over by a bike. ;-)

Sounds purgatorially boring.

EFR
Ile de France
Old May 23rd 05, 02:27 AM
Claire Petersky

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote in message
Matt O'Toole wrote:

I agree on all points. I'll add that bells sound cheerier than barking

orders
at pedestrians. Bells are good.

I have one that sounds just like the bell in the QUEEN song. Essential,
IMHO.

I just stuck on my younger daughter's Barbie horn on our tandem. Does a nice
light "ah-oo-gah" that feels friendly, as opposed to demanding.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Old May 23rd 05, 09:44 AM
Roger Zoul

Tom Keats wrote:
: In article ,
: Jeff Starr writes:
:
: What do you mean "I too". You and I have no idea why she hasn't
: gotten it done. My guess is that it hasn't been convenient. And I
: doubt that your reasons, are her reasons.
:
: Some people have no interest in what they are accomplishing, they
: just do what they do, and that's ok. Then, there are those of us
: who find the info supplied by the cyclocomputer interesting and
: keep track of it, another part of the total experience.
:
: I've been on both sides of that. I prefer my current side. I've
: got several years' worth of riding journal/log that I hardly ever
: look at now. In retrospect my own cycloputer didn't do anything
: for me that I couldn't have accomplished without it.
:
: I really like seeing the progress that I have made, both in speed
: and distance. Being aware of my cadence has made me a better
: rider. It's like a heart rate monitor, I use one for my rides and
: keep track of the info. But, I wear it on my wrist, not mounted on
: the bars. I seldom even look at it, during a ride. For me it is
: both a learning tool and a way of monitoring my performance.
:
: Hey, whatever works for you; that goes for anybody. But I'm not
: gonna nag Maggie to install her cycloputer if she doesn't want to.
: And I'm certainly not going to suggest to her that cycloputers
: are essential. What has mostly contributed to improvement in my
: own riding skills is just plain riding, and learning from others.
:
: If you can find anyone who has figured out how to ride a computer,
: I would be interested. Mine doesn't have wheels, even my home PC,
: is not rideable;-)
:
: I find it interesting how the ride reports in r.b.rides
: speak in terms of the experience of the ride -- the sights,
: traffic, weather, road conditions etc, while in r.b.misc the
: emphasis seems to be on numbers like annual milage, highest
: speed attained, elevation gains or highest cadence. I'm not
: finding fault with anything or criticizing anybody, it's just
: interesting to note how the r.b.rides community seems to be
: more appreciative of the qualitative, while the r.b.misc
: community concentrates on the quantitative.

You find it interesting how a group named r.b.rides and r.b.misc differ, the
former focusing on the details of the ride and the latter on misc details?

I find it interesting that you find that difference interesting.

:
: Besides, after one too many bunny hops, a cycloputer head will
: go flying off its mount to be lost like a blinkie, anyways.
: But life (and riding) will go on.
:
:
: cheers,
: Tom
:
: --
: -- "Who needs information, when you're working undergound"
: -- Roger Waters, from his Radio KAOS album

Old May 23rd 05, 09:44 AM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
: Tom Keats wrote:
: it's just
: interesting to note how the r.b.rides community seems to be
: more appreciative of the qualitative, while the r.b.misc
: community concentrates on the quantitative.
:
: cheers,
: Tom
:
: Then what am I doing in r.b.misc? I thought I was here because I
: could add some Misc. Cause that is what I do best.

You're doing just fine, Mags.

:
: Maggie. (Queen of useless information and many song lyrics).