liquid nutrition

Old July 31st 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Default liquid nutrition

Bob in CT wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:58:32 -0400, gds wrote:

M. Bakunin wrote:

I use a Soy based protein powder mix I get at Wal-mart. Mainly
beacause it
is easier to digest than milk based products, and it doesn't have
cholesterol in it.

What's wrong with cholesterol?

--Bob in CT

I eat junk and ride and my total Cholesterol is only 201, so what's the
big deal? For energy, it is Sugar, period, the Protein can come later. I
carry a bottle or 2 of pancake syrup and chug it when I know I will need
a boost in about 5 or 10 minutes. Works great. Followed by water or
course since I can stand only so much sweet. BTW, it is high Fructose
corn syrup, not plain table sugar, found in almost everything these
days. More sweet per dollar for the industry.
Bill Baka
Don't forget the salt and Potassium.
Old July 31st 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
gds

Bob in CT wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:25:01 -0400, Kevan Smith
wrote:

"Bob in CT" wrote in
news
What's wrong with cholesterol?

Eating it is bad for you.

News to me, as I'm on a low carb diet and eat cholesterol all the time.
My normal breakfast is three eggs and ham and/or bacon. Bring on the
cholesterol and healthy saturated fat!

--
Bob in CT

Like most health info the answer isn't the same for everyone.
For most folks ~80% of serum cholestrol is metabolized (manufactored)
by the body.. So, diet is not the main contributer.
Thus, for most folks, absent other risk factors, a diet which includes
cholestrol in reasonable amounts poses little problem.
However, for folks with serious risk factors even small amounts of
"extra" cholestrol can lead to problems.

Many societes have diets which are pretty rich in fat/cholestrol and
still have better health indicators than others with lower
fat/cholestrol intake. Almost uniformly these societies also have less
sedentary populations and less obesity. In the end ehalth status is
linked to lots of variables and most data show that one need not be
extreme in attacking any single variable to achieve good results.

Old July 31st 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kevan Smith

"Bob in CT" wrote in
news
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:25:01 -0400, Kevan Smith
wrote:

"Bob in CT" wrote in
news
What's wrong with cholesterol?

Eating it is bad for you.

News to me ....

Wow! Have you been living in a cave for the past 20 years?

--
fnood fneep gnip gnop
http://greep.flood.nit

Old July 31st 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
R Brickston

On 31 Jul 2006 10:18:52 -0700, "gds" wrote:

Bob in CT wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:25:01 -0400, Kevan Smith
wrote:

"Bob in CT" wrote in
news
[...]

The never disproven theory of Dr. Atkins is that a high fat diet is
converted to bad cholesterol and plaque in the presence of some level
(I can't recall how much) of carbohydrates.

When I was on Atkins it was a riot to hear people tell me how
unhealthy it must be. After quizzing them on what they ate during a
normal day, usually it included huge amounts of fat, I discovered they
were already /on/ Atkins, only eating all the crap with it. Take a
guess how many grams of fat are in a Bloomin' Onion at Outback? 153.
Old August 1st 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Earl Bollinger

"M. Bakunin" wrote in message
In article ,
"Earl Bollinger" wrote:

I use a Soy based protein powder mix I get at Wal-mart. Mainly beacause
it
is easier to digest than milk based products, and it doesn't have
cholesterol in it.

Could you tell us how is it called?
Thanks.

I think it depends on the store, but the big jug is usually called "Genisoy
unflavored soy protein powder ", there are also some vanilla and chocolate
flavored versions too.
Spring Valley Brand has some smaller cans of the powder too. The last time I
bought a big jug of the powder it cost like $17.00 US. For me the stuff
lasts a long time.
Check out the vitamin nutrition section, the dieting and the health food
suppliment sections. The jars, cans or bottles have a huge SOY word
prominnently located on the labels.
One can make a pretty good fruit smoothie or breakfast shake like drink
using fruit you like and a one or two of scoops of the soy powder.
SILK brand soy milk works good too.

Old August 1st 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Earl Bollinger wrote:
"M. Bakunin" wrote in message
In article ,
"Earl Bollinger" wrote:

[...]

I am sooo with you on soy. I take at least a half gallon of chocolate
soy in a thermos type container in addition to my water, O.J., and
whatever other fluids I take but the soy is my favorite. My wife buys me
half gallons with a screw on pour spout and I just pour it into my
thermos jug, which fits nicely in my Phred saddle rack on the back. With
3 water bottles and the soy, plus an ice chest of food in the other
saddle rack I am good for about 9 hours or out door go anywhere fun.
Cheers,
Bill Baka
Old August 1st 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
R Brickston

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 06:03:48 GMT, Bill Baka
wrote:

Earl Bollinger wrote:
"M. Bakunin" wrote in message
In article ,
"Earl Bollinger" wrote:

[...]

Nine hours on the bike.

Bwaaaaaahahahahahaha......!

(Alright, I forgot, it's Planet Baka; Population: 1)
Old August 6th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"M. Bakunin" writes:
hello out there,
was reading on various websites, including ultracycling, about food
taken during long rides: double-centuries, etc... and there is a case
made for eating 'liquid' food instead of solid, for various reasons well
explained.
my question is: do you, long distance riders, could point me to a
source/brand/type of liquid food that is not sweet or goopy? which
provides what 's needed but doesn't leave the aftertaste and impression
you just gulped a a quart of maple syrup mixed with i don't know what
sticky stuff? and obviously give the needed nutrients...

Shoot, I thought this was gonna be about beer (liquid bread.)

Maybe de-alcoholized beer has something going for it as a
source of on-the-fly nutrition & energy?

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old August 7th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:

Shoot, I thought this was gonna be about beer (liquid bread.)

I was expecting at least a few posts in that vein I must admit.

Maybe de-alcoholized beer has something going for it as a
source of on-the-fly nutrition & energy?

I don't believe I've ever tasted any, but the reviews I've seen have
never been good. Of course one might argue that you could just take
some water and pour it into the toilet and skip a step for those. It
would seem more efficacious to have a chocolate malt with extra malt
powder. Tastier too.

I do find that beer makes an excellent drink for post ride consumption.
Vitamins and minerals *and* muscle relaxants. Ahhhhh!

--
Dane Buson -
A programming language is low level when its programs require attention
Old August 14th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
news
[...]
I enjoy many of your weak, watery American brews. One can drink
that stuff all day long, stand up out of one's lawn chair as evening
approaches, and not fall down too much. Some folks refer to that
stuff as "lawn mower lager." On a hot enough day, I'd almost sell
my soul to the Devil for some real American MGD (the Canadian,
brewed-under-license version is wanting of that je ne sais quois.)

I find certain Canadian brands that come in a blue can cause
too much head recursion and subsequent stack overflow.

As much as I hate and despise Tom Keats (ye old working class stiff from the
Vancouver docks), I must admit he is most certainly right about American
beer. My God, the stuff is undrinkable. I am strictly a wine man myself, but
occasionally on a hot August day I would not mind a good beer. What does Tom
Keats recommend in the way of a really good beer? I will give it a try since
I know that working stiffs on the Vancouver docks will know a thing or two
about a good beer if nothing else.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Liquid soap for Grab-On? Translation needed please. Martyn Aldis Techniques 13 April 10th 05 10:44 PM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Advice on a good hardtail. frodge Mountain Biking 48 May 29th 04 01:49 PM