spoke count- MTB vs Road?

Old August 10th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
wizardB

Default spoke count- MTB vs Road?

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
wizardB wrote:

I'm 6'4" 235lbs I use 32 spoke wheels on all my bikes free ride and XC
just make sure to use a 14 gauge spoke and a good quality hub also I
find that Mavic rims take the abuse better then their brethren.

Double-butted spokes will usually "take abuse" much better than plain
gauge ones. They're not just for weight saving; they put a bit of
stretch into the spoke at a point where it rarely breaks and doesn't
need to be thick anyway. The hub is irrelevant, unless we're talking
about Sturmey-Archer hubs with thin steel flanges which tend to break
spokes at the elbow, but you won't be using one of those ;-)

The wheel build is the most important factor.

Well on the shore we mostly use straight gauge spokes because they are
tougher and using a cheep hub will cause you nothing but grief, stick
with a 14 gauge spoke a better quality hub and have your builder build
you a "pizza cutter" you'll be happier with that build than all the
light weight wienny stuff they build in Ca.
Old August 10th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

res09c5t wrote:
Hi all,
I'm a roadie who's thinking about building a mountain bike. I'm a bit of a
Clydesdale, about 6'3" and 220 lbs. On my road bike, I use 36 spoke, 3x
cross wheels that I built using Mavic CXP33 rims and a double-butted spoke-
don't remember offhand which one. As I look at mountain bikes, it seems
like the standard is 32 spoke and I don't hear about a lot of wheel issues.
Are there some underlying reasons like stronger rims, maybe the wider rear
axle requiring less dishing, or the diameter being a little smaller that let
the lower counts work since it seems like MTB wheels would get a lot more
abuse? I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that a well-done set of 32
spoke wheels will be ok for me or a recommendation that I should be looking
for 36 spoke wheels.

Thanks!
Lyle

it's the rim that matters more than the spoke count. i've ridden 32
spoke wheels at the 205-210 range for years with no problems.
Old August 11th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fred

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:32:50 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
.. .

For real piece of mind, MTB hubs are available with 48 holes - they need
to be built up x4.

Why not 3X?

4x on 48H gives you the spokes coming out of the hub at the same angle as 3x
with 36H.

Thanks!
Old August 11th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
philcycles[_2_]

On Aug 9, 9:58 am, "res09c5t" wrote:
[...]

I'm 6'3", 215 and happily ride on 32 spoke wheels with 14/16 spokes.
And have for many years. I have 30 year old wheels like that in daily
use.
Phil Brown
Old August 11th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

"res09c5t" wrote in message
[...]

You will be fine with 32hole if you use quality spokes (DT 14g) and good
rims. (I can pretty much gaurentee a 32hole Mavic EX729 with DT 14guage
spokes you will not destroy!)

In Trials everyone uses 32hole rear wheels (and less up front) and these
wheels cope with the most abuse. If they can hold up for trials then they
will hold up for pretty much anything else!

Cheers Dre

Old August 11th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 10, 9:00*pm, philcycles wrote:
[...]

Didn't know they had 14/16(2mm, 1.6mm, ) in 1978, but maybe they did.

NOT trying to argue but having a wheel be 'just strong enough', and no
more doesn't make sense to me. Would you seek a frame that had a
weight limit and you were at the top end of that weight limit?
72 14/15 spokes would weigh how much more than 64 14/16 spokes? Maybe
a couple of ounces if that? BUT a busted wheel/spoke, etc can ruin
your whole ride.

Again, not trying to start some sort of wheel jihad, but we get
'heavier' people in all the time that want to spend lots of $ on light
stuff with questionable reliability. We gotta support it and if we
sell it or build it, we essentially agree with the choice even if we
know it's gonna cause problems in the future. So generally speaking,
we don't sell it, build it.
Old August 11th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

res09c5t wrote:
Hi all,
I'm a roadie who's thinking about building a mountain bike. I'm a bit of a
Clydesdale, about 6'3" and 220 lbs. On my road bike, I use 36 spoke, 3x
cross wheels that I built using Mavic CXP33 rims and a double-butted spoke-
don't remember offhand which one. As I look at mountain bikes, it seems
like the standard is 32 spoke and I don't hear about a lot of wheel issues.
Are there some underlying reasons like stronger rims, maybe the wider rear
axle requiring less dishing, or the diameter being a little smaller that let
the lower counts work since it seems like MTB wheels would get a lot more
abuse? I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that a well-done set of 32
spoke wheels will be ok for me or a recommendation that I should be looking
for 36 spoke wheels.

If you have a choice, sure, go for the 36's, 8 more spokes aren't going
to give you a hernia. On the other hand, 8 less won't spell doom,
either. I'm 6'10"/235, and have used 32's exclusively (straight gauge),
I do real trails, often pulling trailers, for 10+ years now, no problems.

trials crank length/spoke count tim williamson Unicycling 34 March 19th 08 03:09 AM
Spoke count VeloJon Techniques 38 August 8th 07 01:02 PM
Low and high spoke-count wheel [email protected] Techniques 1 June 19th 07 08:40 AM
Aero rims and spoke count [email protected] Techniques 52 December 10th 06 10:29 PM
Deep-V Spoke Count mykal Techniques 13 June 25th 05 03:02 PM