walkable bicycling shoes

Old August 10th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bobdobbs

Default walkable bicycling shoes

On Aug 7, 2:27 am, "* * Chas" (remove
spamski to e-mail me) wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 6, 1:25 am, wrote:
If you froogle around, you'll probably be able to find NOS Rivat

touring
shoes that look nothing like modern cycling shoes, but have walkable
stiff soles with reasonable tread. My bike shop got mine from a
distributor that specializes in NOS gear, but they show up on eBay
occasionally, too.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Thing is that if you go to pricepoint you'll be able to find a combo
of shoes and clipless pedals for about $60.00.

http://pricepoint.org/

http://pricepoint.org/detail/14191-2...ts-825-Mtn-Sho...

Once people try clipless pedals, most never go back to clips and
straps.

Andres

There are many cyclists who can't use old style cleats or newer clipless
pedals for various physical reasons. What about those folks?

I ride with toeclips and straps only. I have a number of pairs of old
"touring" shoes with stiff soles that have grooves molded into them that
work like old style cleats.

Standard shoes like sneekers that don't have stiff soles can give a rider
"hot foot" problems from pressure points after a few miles of riding.

Specialized, Avocet and a number of European companies used to make
touring shoes designed for both riding and walking. I don't think that
they've been manufactured for at least 10 years. These shoes occasionally
show up on eBay. I'd been looking for some of these for the past year
because my mid 70's Specialized touring shoes were about worn out. These
touring shoes have been selling for up to $85 USD.

Chas.

I think you are the only one in this thread who "gets it". My Shimano
(original poster here) is like the kind you are referring to, the
older Specialized and Avocets. I don't do clipless for a whole lot of
reasons beyond the scope of this thread; I want something with a
reasonably stiff sole that can offer more support than say, sneakers,
and I want something I can ride and walk in, both for feel and looks
(don't want to look, as another poster said, like a medieval jester).
Most of the stuff recommended here - Cannondale's Roam, the Sonoma,
Shimano's SH RT 50 - are close, but a bit too "clomp-y"

Phil
Old August 10th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Aug 9, 5:51*pm, bobdobbs wrote:
On Aug 7, 2:27 am, "* * Chas" (remove
spamski to e-mail me) wrote:

wrote in message

On Aug 6, 1:25 am, wrote:
[...]

I you'd asked this a year ago, I'd have pointed you to the Forte
Kingston...it was very reminiscent of the old Bata Bikers, but with
SPD compatibility. If you have a Performance Bike Shop store in your
area, you could see if they have any in your size. The web site only
has sizes 35-37 now, on closeout.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
Old August 10th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

spamski to e-mail me) wrote:

wrote in message

On Aug 6, 1:25 am, wrote:
[...]

That's what I'd been looking for a number of years. Too bad they don't
have them in size 45.

Chas.

Old August 12th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 18:34:33 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech bobdobbs
wrote:

I do a lot of bike touring and my old (we're talking 30 years)
Shimanos are more tape than shoe. I am looking for recommendations on
a bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless so that's not a
necessarily element, although both my Shimanos and Lakes have clipless
features.

I prefer suede style over leather. Lightweight, breathable, walkable
is most important.

I have been following this thread with some intrest. Cannondale used
to make a "touring shoe" that was a reasonable compromise; however,
that was 20+ years ago. I do not understand why there are few entries
in this market.

Some other innovations I'd like to see:

1) There is a market for a male supportive under garment that has
velcro closures such that one can get into and out of it without
compleately removing one's pants. It would be nice to do a "Superman"
change, but not in a phone booth... of course, there aren't many of
those left. (What did he do with his street clothing while he was
flying around, anyway?)

2) We need quality bicycle clothing that doesn't look silly. I
couldn't wear most of the stuff on the market and keep a straight
face! Even Superman didn't wear his crime-fighting suit in the
office.

Jones

Old August 12th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Some years ago, Biemme made bibs with a fold-over fly. I got a pair from the
importer and they worked really well. I never understood why it never became
a mainstream feature.

Bruce

Old August 12th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

[...]

During sprints, attacks and tough climbs the equipment will come
flying out?
Old August 12th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

wrote:

[...]

Allegedly tucked them into a pouch in the cape. Not terribly plausible,
but I think it's the "official word" from the comics.

2) We need quality bicycle clothing that doesn't look silly. I
couldn't wear most of the stuff on the market and keep a straight
face! Even Superman didn't wear his crime-fighting suit in the
office.

/Under/ his street clothes he did, certainly. The image of George
Reeves (and later Christopher Reeve) pulling open his dress shirt collar
to reveal the superman logo is iconic. But superman had another
incentive. Unless you need to keep your identity as a cycle commuter
secret, you don't have his problem.

Mark J.
Old August 12th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:10:12 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Mark
wrote:

/Under/ his street clothes he did, certainly. The image of George
Reeves (and later Christopher Reeve) pulling open his dress shirt collar
to reveal the superman logo is iconic. But superman had another
incentive. Unless you need to keep your identity as a cycle commuter
secret, you don't have his problem.

Well... there's more to it, methinks. Ordinarily, people would'a
exclaimed, "It's a bird [...] plane; it's Clark in his bycycle
outfit!" because he didn't wear a mask.

Jones

Old August 12th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

wrote:

/Under/ his street clothes he did, certainly. The image of George
Reeves (and later Christopher Reeve) pulling open his dress shirt collar
to reveal the superman logo is iconic. But superman had another
incentive. Unless you need to keep your identity as a cycle commuter
secret, you don't have his problem.

Well... there's more to it, methinks. Ordinarily, people would'a
exclaimed, "It's a bird [...] plane; it's Clark in his bycycle
outfit!" because he didn't wear a mask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lwjv_VRM7A

Mark J.