Nu-Vinci Hubs? Anyone have any experience?

Old August 10th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

Default Nu-Vinci Hubs? Anyone have any experience?

These things are relatively new. They're a variable-ratio hub. I
assume that the highest setting is direct drive and that they reduce
from there.

Has anyone ever used one?

Jones

Old August 10th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 9, 8:44*pm, !Jones wrote:
These things are relatively new. *They're a variable-ratio hub. *I
assume that the highest setting is direct drive and that they reduce
from there.

Has anyone ever used one?

Jones

I have a Rans V2 Formulae HD26 with Xtracycle.com and NuVinci hub.
Great to just twist the grip after a rush stop and get to the lowest
ratio. It goes from 1/2 under drive to 1.5 overdrive. I do not find
that it has the excessive drag that a Sram 3*7 internal gear does when
not in direct drive. Although it says you can shift at any time, I
found that it holds the gear until you hit the top of the stroke, when
you are not able to push down on either pedal with platform shoes. If
you are used to pedaling the entire circle with clipless shoes, you
won't notice this. You don't have the definite steps of standard
gears.

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci.asp
Old August 10th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Larry Webber

wrote:
On Aug 9, 8:44 pm, !Jones wrote:
[...]

I agree with Mike. We both notice it shifts more easily when under less
pedaling load.

We built a Redline Monocog up for my wife with a NuVinci hub and very
soon noticed an unusually high amount of drag when coasting. We first
suspected the wheel bearings being too tight. This was not the case and
we verified (with the affirmation of our LBS) that it was not brake
issues. The drag was noticeable both in coasting and on the bike stand.

We contacted Fallbrook via e-mail and received a prompt reply stating
that there is an initial period where this occurs and we could expect
the drag to reduce as it was ridden. Since this is my wife's main bike,
it didn't take long to notice the drag reducing. We did not note the
exact number of miles but I would say between 100 and 200 miles we
noticed a huge decrease of drag when coasting.

Be aware that this is a hub that weighs about 9 lbs. The wife's bike
is a commuter/leisure bike so this is not an issue. We both think the
hub shifts extremely well. I would build one of these up for myself if
they could cut the weight.

Larry
Old August 11th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

!Jones wrote:

These things are relatively new. They're a variable-ratio hub. I
assume that the highest setting is direct drive and that they reduce
from there.

Has anyone ever used one?

My Seattle buddy Val got an early pre-release unit to test. He wrote
the following review:

http://bikehugger.com/2007/07/mondo_nuvinci_review.htm

Chalo
Old August 12th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:43:20 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
" wrote:

I have a Rans V2 Formulae HD26 with Xtracycle.com and NuVinci hub.
Great to just twist the grip after a rush stop and get to the lowest
ratio. It goes from 1/2 under drive to 1.5 overdrive. I do not find
that it has the excessive drag that a Sram 3*7 internal gear does when
not in direct drive. Although it says you can shift at any time, I
found that it holds the gear until you hit the top of the stroke, when
you are not able to push down on either pedal with platform shoes. If
you are used to pedaling the entire circle with clipless shoes, you
won't notice this. You don't have the definite steps of standard
gears.

OK, so direct is *not* at one end(?)! With standard hub systems (my
personal favorite is a Bendix "red band", but it's a niche thing), one
gear is direct drive or 1:1... herein is the best efficiency. Did you
notice that there was any difference?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering a Lightfoot Trike for a
handicapped adult and these also have front & rear derailleurs... or
two sets of rear cogs. If there's no advantage, then my rider would
only use the NuVinci and I'd just lock the others in place and remove
the shifters... why confuse her?

Thank you, Chalo, for the link and Mr. Webber for your comments.

Jones

Old August 12th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

" wrote:
[...]

With the SRAM 3 * 7 (3 internal, 7 derailer), the middle gear was
direct and without loss. The underdrive and overdrive gear did have a
bit of a drag. When in underdrive, as soon as I had enough speed to
get to the middle drive, I would, then I would get more speed from
reduced drag. When I topped out the derailer gears, I would switch to
overdrive, and the reduced cadence and increased drag would quickly
induce me back to the direct gear.

With the NuVinci, there is a 1:1 ratio, but I cannot tell from a
reduced drag point. As I increase speed, I gear up as needed as go
right by the 1:1 point without noticing a low drag spot.
Old August 13th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:12:34 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech "David L.
Johnson" wrote:

These look very interesting. I have a few questions:

1) My Shimano internally-geared hub had a tendency to counter-rotate,
and this was not controllable with just the axle nuts. How about this
one? Is there a bracing arm attached to the left side chainstay? I
would think that would have to be a problem.

2) How is freewheeling accomplished? Is there a freewheel attached
externally, or is it part of the design of the hub? The reason I ask is
that I wonder whether it could be a fixed-gear.

3) So, _how_ much does it weigh?

Chalo posted a good link elsewhere in this thread... I don't have it
on this box; however, I found it informative. It has schematics &
all.

Jones
Old August 13th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 12, 5:12*pm, "David L. Johnson"

--

David L. Johnson

"What am I on? *I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
What are you on?"
* * * * * * * * --Lance Armstrong

I just changed a tire on this.
1. The cables have a little box they attach to, easily removed and
attached. There are flats on the axle, washers that slide onto the
flat and have tabs that fit into the open part of the dropout, and
large and extra large bolts on the axle.

2. Freewheel is built it.

3. Web site said 9 pounds.
Old August 13th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

wrote in message

3. Web site said 9 pounds.

When I first heard about the Nu-Vinci hub, I was extremely doubtful - I
didn't reckon it stood a chance of working. But now I know how much it
weighs, I'm a lot less sceptical - the thing might actually work if the
required bits are that big.

cheers,
clive

The Da Vinci code is larry Australia 0 June 7th 06 02:48 PM
Callistus Valerius Da Vinci Code [email protected] Racing 91 May 28th 06 06:15 AM
Experience with internal hubs? Earl Bollinger General 7 December 30th 05 12:49 AM
Dynamo Hubs - any experience? Mark \(MSA\) UK 43 October 5th 05 12:02 PM
Pantour hubs experience? cheg Techniques 2 December 22nd 03 11:59 PM