Rear wheel pings under load?

Old August 8th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Reed

Default Rear wheel pings under load?

Hi,

I have a 2005 Bontrager Race X Lite Aero rear wheel that has light
spoke pinging only when I'm pedaling. I don't have to pedal hard to
get the sound, and hard pedaling doesn't make it any louder. The sound
is almost like there's a thin wire hanging in the path of the spokes
-- a really light pinging sound, with every spoke.

I did a search, and it looks like the problem might be the nipple/rim
interface, but I wanted to ask since this is an (unfortunately)
popular wheelset. Any ideas?

I build my own wheels, and don't have any experience servicing this
wheel. They came on a used bike I just bought, and I just want to
unload them on ebay, but I need to fix this problem. It has internal
nipples, does anyone know if I'll need a special tool to turn the
nipples? I haven't pulled the rim tape, in hopes I won't have to.

If I need to work oil into the spoke holes, I figure I could just
twist the spoke (bladed), but that would probably only work it into
the threads, not the nipple/rim interface. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Old August 8th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 8, 7:49*am, Mike Reed wrote:
[...]

Mine became quiet when I put a drop of light oil on each spoke
crossing.
The nipples take a 3/16" (or is that 5/16"?) socket.
Old August 8th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Reed

On Aug 8, 9:05*am, "
wrote:
Mine became quiet when I put a drop of light oil on each spoke
crossing.
The nipples take a 3/16" (or is that 5/16"?) socket.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did that last night. Good news on the
socket as I have a couple different driver sizes that will probably
fit. I'll double-check the tension too, but I think it's pretty high,
and the tension is impressively even all the way around. Should be
easy to work on.

I just hope oil handles the problem. I'd love to be able to regroup
$200-$250 for these wheels after the bike purchase.
Old August 8th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 8, 8:49 am, Mike Reed wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the load is more than the wheels can handle. Just a guess,
but are you using 48 spoke wheels?
Old August 9th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

Mike Reed wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2005 Bontrager Race X Lite Aero rear wheel that has light
spoke pinging only when I'm pedaling. I don't have to pedal hard to
get the sound, and hard pedaling doesn't make it any louder. The sound
is almost like there's a thin wire hanging in the path of the spokes
-- a really light pinging sound, with every spoke.

Does this happen in every gear? If not, it could be the derailleur
hitting the spokes, if you tend to stay in the largest sprocket.

Or, maybe a brake cable end that is long enough to hit the spokes...

--

David L. Johnson

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job.
-- Douglas Adams
Old August 9th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 8, 6:18*pm, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
Mike Reed wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2005 Bontrager Race X Lite Aero rear wheel that has light
spoke pinging only when I'm pedaling. I don't have to pedal hard to
get the sound, and hard pedaling doesn't make it any louder. The sound
is almost like there's a thin wire hanging in the path of the spokes
-- a really light pinging sound, with every spoke.

Does this happen in every gear? *If not, it could be the derailleur
hitting the spokes, if you tend to stay in the largest sprocket.

Or, maybe a brake cable end that is long enough to hit the spokes...

It's not too much dif'rent from the ol' aero track wheels I once
had: 16 spokes and all. Being a track wheel, it had no derailer
to rub, nor was there a brake on it. They're just noisy wheels.
I tried oiling the spoke crossings and noticed exactly no noise
reduction.

You should have heard the horrifying sounds when unscrewing
a sprocket after 8 or 9 months of use.

I assumed the spokes were quacking around in those retarded
holes in the indefensible aero-sexion of those absurd wheels.

I sold them and they don't bother me at all any more.
Old August 10th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Reed

wrote:

Mike Reed wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I'm starting to think that. It turns out I don't have a hex
wrench that will fit in to get to the nips, so I just twisted the
spoke ends around with some light oil dripped into the hole. Well,
that managed to twist one of the nips slightly, and it came out of
true... so now I need to order one of those Park SW-15s unless someone
else has an idea on a wrench for these things.

Regarding too much load or a brake cable being the problem, that's not
it. I'm 180 lbs, and the cable is fine (even happens on two different
bikes).
Old August 10th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 8, 6:49*am, Mike Reed wrote:
[...]

Dab of lindseed oil where the spoke enters the hub and rim, from the
inside then spin the wheel. We have to do this all the time with mavic
eyeleted rims and kryforme-siriums.
Old August 12th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Reed

On Aug 10, 7:37*am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I ended up quieting it completely with a light oil at the spoke
holes, twisting the spokes back and forth, and twisting the nips back
and forth. Then I went out and did a couple sprints and heard nothing.

They're already sold