Your opinion

Old January 20th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Your opinion

Hokay,
To all super cool people out there, aka unicyclists, and even more
superior ones, aka MUnicyclists,
which is what i am
I have bought a Qu-ax 24" MUni from unicycle.com, and all was fine, but
i noticed, and this has been proven, that one of the fork blades is a
few millimetres longer than the other
this results in the wheel being ever so slightly tilted, but it doesn't
affect riding, but because on that side there is less of a gap between
the frame,
(actually only about a millimetre) between tire and blade
i have contacted the unicycle.com, and they have agreed to replace it
after i post it back to New Zealand, but unfortunately this may cost a
bit, and take a while
So here is a question to all of those skilled and knowledgeable riders
on one wheel,
should i keep my Qu-ax as it is, while there are no problems, the only
one that will probably surface over time is mud getting caught, in the
tight space, or should i pay more and send it back ,for the sake of
having a few millimetres between the frame and tire?
Please reply urgently, and reply to

Cheers

Ben

--
silverfridge
silverfridge's Profile:

Old January 20th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Have you tried to put the wheel in the other way? Does it lean the same,
or hte other way?

If it leans the other way, it's your wheel that's non-true, not your
frame, try this!
If it's your wheel that's off-centre, you can correct it with a spoke
key, or have someone to do it for you (and unicycle.com should pay for
it if they sent you an untrue wheel)..

If that's not the case, replace the frame..
And I don't think you whould pay for the postage for this switch, at
all.

--
lleberg

I 3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Old January 20th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

llberg speaks the truth about the wheel swap and it's an easy test. But
I disagree with his plan of adjusting all the spokes to retrue the
wheel in an off center manner.

I can't tell for sure but it looks as if it has maincap style bearing
holders, the kind with two bolts that clamp each bearing to the frame.
If so, shim the frame up on the short side to center the wheel
temporarily until you get the new frame. Don't mess with the wheel.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Old January 20th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I was only refering to it it was the wheel that was off-centre..
If the wheel leans to the other side if you swap it, it is the wheel
that's off-centre, and it's that that should be corrected.

of course not if it's the frame that's crooked.

English ain't my mother-language, can be hard to express myself
sometimes..

Old January 20th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I learned this from Pete from our Seattle Area Riders group:

When high-production frames like the Quax are made, they are usually
not allowed a gradual enough cooling period. This can (but not always)
cause a slight warp. It's pretty much a game of chance whether you
will get a frame like that or not, but it looks like you did. I had a
Semcycle longneck frame like that, but I replaced it with a Nimbus
longneck and that worked great. But on the bright side, my Nimbus
29er, Nimbus X, Nimbus Longneck, and both of my Torker CXs are almost
perfectly straight.

--
UniTyler

'Tyler's Macro Photography' (http://tcox6.photosite.com)
UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old January 21st 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

harper wrote:
llberg speaks the truth about the wheel swap and it's an easy test. But
I disagree with his plan of adjusting all the spokes to retrue the
wheel in an off center manner.

I can't tell for sure but it looks as if it has maincap style bearing
holders, the kind with two bolts that clamp each bearing to the frame.
If so, shim the frame up on the short side to center the wheel
temporarily until you get the new frame. Don't mess with the wheel.

I see what ur saying, but i know for surre that it is the frame, i have
had it checked by an engineer even,
so should i not worry about the few millimetres of space lacking from
one side, or should i send it back, i am confused cos it has been
disassembled ready to send back, but i really want to ride

Old January 21st 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Many unicycle frames are not exactly precision made. Some are out of
alignment.

Two options you can check for before going through the time to send the
frame back:

1) Check the bearing caps that are welded to the frame. See if there
is any weld splatter or other gunk preventing the bearing from fully
seating in the bearing cap. If there is gunk in their obstructing the
bearing then you can grind it off or file it off.

2) Unicycle.com UK has a FAQ on 'how to straighten your frame'
(http://tinyurl.com/2g3uf). You can look at that and determine if it
applies to your frame. A good bike shop should also have a fork
straightening tool and measuring tools to check the frame. A good bike
shop or a bike shop experienced with frame repairs could get the legs
straight again if that's the problem. Or you can try it yourself using
the Unicycle.com UK FAQ. A bike should would possibly be able to do a
better job.

A third option is to fashion a shim to fit in the bearing cap of the
short leg if one leg is indeed longer than the other.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old January 21st 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

harper wrote:
If so, shim the frame up on the short side to center the wheel
temporarily until you get the new frame. Don't mess with the wheel.

Just don't over tighten the bearing holders once you do. Once you shim
them, they'll have a smaller internal diameter and there will no longer
be an even amount of pressure applied to the bearings.

As a result, this can happen - http://tinyurl.com/7fnxu (although that
wasn't from shimmed bearing holders...they were too small to begin
with)

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
'\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)* (coming soon...)

shimano wh-6500 wheelset -- opinion geos Techniques 31 October 5th 05 12:28 AM
Opinion Chris Glidden Mountain Biking 14 June 15th 05 06:41 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
torker unistar opinion tylercox Unicycling 5 April 11th 04 03:03 AM