What abt crank forward bike like RANS?

Old July 28th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What abt crank forward bike like RANS?

Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? Could you tour on one.... off road?

see link

http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm
Old July 28th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? Could you tour on one.... off road?

see link

http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm

I can't imagine anyone actually riding something like that in REAL(tm)
off-road. You have to be able to steer and with the weight that far back the
front wheel will barely have any traction.

Old July 28th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Jul 28, 10:33*am, wrote:
Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? *Could you tour on one.... off road?

see link

http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm

How far are you planning on riding? I would think anything over 20
miles might be a pain. One thing I dislike about this bike is it
limits you to one type of hand position. Unlike drop bars, you don't
have any variety. Is it needed? On a long ride of over 20 miles, I
would think yes. Further, how much torque can you get going up a
hill?

I guess the best way is to give it a try. If it works for you then go
for it. Asking for opinions on an internet forum is not the best way
to buy a bike. Good Luck!
Old July 29th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? Could you tour on one.... off road?

see link

http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm

Regular exercise of all sorts. Garden, dishwashing,
cycling, walking; everything is exercise. Remember
what your mother said: do not slouch.

--
Michael Press
Old July 29th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bfd wrote:

On Jul 28, 10:33*am, wrote:
Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? *Could you tour on one.... off road?

see link

http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm

How far are you planning on riding? I would think anything over 20
miles might be a pain. One thing I dislike about this bike is it
limits you to one type of hand position. Unlike drop bars, you don't
have any variety. Is it needed? On a long ride of over 20 miles, I
would think yes. Further, how much torque can you get going up a
hill?

I guess the best way is to give it a try. If it works for you then go
for it. Asking for opinions on an internet forum is not the best way
to buy a bike. Good Luck!

Read some comments abt it

http://www.thelazyrandonneur.com/
Old July 29th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bfd wrote:

How far are you planning on riding? I would think anything over 20
miles might be a pain.

How would anything over 20 miles be a pain? can you
explain?
Old July 30th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

bfd wrote:
On Jul 28, 10:33 am, wrote:
Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? Could you tour on one.... off road?

see link

http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm

How far are you planning on riding? I would think anything over 20
miles might be a pain. One thing I dislike about this bike is it
limits you to one type of hand position. Unlike drop bars, you don't
have any variety. Is it needed? On a long ride of over 20 miles, I
would think yes. Further, how much torque can you get going up a
hill?...

On a crank forward upright, the rider will be putting much less weight
on his/her hands, making multiple positions less necessary. One could
always stick some ATB bar extensions on for variety.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 10th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 28, 4:58 pm, bfd wrote:
On Jul 28, 10:33 am, wrote:

Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? Could you tour on one.... off road?

see link

http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm

How far are you planning on riding? I would think anything over 20
miles might be a pain. One thing I dislike about this bike is it
limits you to one type of hand position. Unlike drop bars, you don't
have any variety. Is it needed? On a long ride of over 20 miles, I
would think yes. Further, how much torque can you get going up a
hill?

I guess the best way is to give it a try. If it works for you then go
for it. Asking for opinions on an internet forum is not the best way
to buy a bike. Good Luck!

You can get a lot of torque buy leaning back in the saddle and pulling
back on the handle bars, its the equivalent to standing up in the
saddle. I bought a Crank Forward bike because I was having all kinds
of numbness issues in all the contact points one has when riding a
bike. I have a Rans Zenetek w/ Rans deep V handlebars which keeps you
in an upright position. This is very comfortable but I found myself
wanting more riding positions, I always have no matter what style
bike. I fitted my bike with aero bars (Design Profile Jammers)
because of the shape of my handlebars I mounted the aeros just inside
of my grip shifters. The aero bars allow me to have a mutitude of
hand and riding positions. Its great to be able to get down a bit in
a head wind or down hill, or when you just want to get off of your
hands. On steep of long up hill grades you'll be pulling back on the
grips. By the way all my numbness issues were solved but the feet.
For that issue I invested in bike shoes and clipless pedals. I
haven't ridden the bike for more than 30 miles at a time. Looking
forward to more and longer rides in the future.