walkable bicycling shoes

Old August 3rd 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bobdobbs

Default walkable bicycling shoes

I do a lot of bike touring and my old (we're talking 30 years)
Shimanos are more tape than shoe. I am looking for recommendations on
a bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless so that's not a
necessarily element, although both my Shimanos and Lakes have clipless
features.

I prefer suede style over leather. Lightweight, breathable, walkable
is most important.
Old August 3rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
bobdobbs wrote:

I do a lot of bike touring and my old (we're talking 30 years)
Shimanos are more tape than shoe. I am looking for recommendations on
a bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless so that's not a
necessarily element, although both my Shimanos and Lakes have
clipless features.

I prefer suede style over leather. Lightweight, breathable, walkable
is most important.

Any MTB shoe will do. And there are always the many sandal options. If
you want a very traditional looking shoe, consider the Reynolds touring
show from England (be aware of the difference between English and
American shoe sizing- size 12 English shoes fit my size 13 American
feet).
Old August 3rd 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"bobdobbs" wrote in message
I do a lot of bike touring and my old (we're talking 30 years)
Shimanos are more tape than shoe. I am looking for recommendations on
a bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless so that's not a
necessarily element, although both my Shimanos and Lakes have clipless
features.

I prefer suede style over leather. Lightweight, breathable, walkable
is most important.

I bought a nice set of Specialized MTB shoes that walk well despite the fact
that they're heavily cleated. The traction is good and the mounts are deep
enough that the cleat doesn't touch the floor when you're walking inside.

The problem with these things is that they're red and black. A LOT of red.
Why can't they make shoes that you can tour with - you know, something a bit
conservative?

Old August 3rd 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
"bobdobbs" wrote in message
[...]

Someone in marketing decided all athletic shoes, including cycling
shoes, should look like something a medieval court jester would wear.
Plain flat black, dark brown or dark gray would all be good choices.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 3rd 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Aug 2, 6:34*pm, bobdobbs wrote:
I do a lot of bike touring and my old (we're talking 30 years)
Shimanos are more tape than shoe. I am looking for recommendations on
a bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless so that's not a
necessarily element, although both my Shimanos and Lakes have clipless
features.

I prefer suede style over leather. Lightweight, breathable, walkable
is most important.

You're likely exaggerating the age of your shoes (Shimano started
making them around 1991), but I get your point.

I highly recommend the Cannondale Roam. It's what I wore on tour last
year. Its "leather" parts are synthetic nubuck for faster drying
without stretching or shrinking, as you'll find is the case with many
athletic shoes today. Soles are stiff but walkable, and have tread
that is appropriate even if you're not using clipless pedals. Off-
bike, they look like low-top hikers. I especially like the shoelace
keeper strap.

http://www.cannondale.com/a_a/footwe...el-5fr01.html#

$50 at Nashbar at the moment.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=24065
Old August 3rd 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per bobdobbs:
bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless

Why limit the choice to bike shoes?

Seems like all that's needed for cycling is a reasonably-stiff
sole and not too-ludicrous a weight.

Flats probably don't hurt either.

http://tinyurl.com/6kvzjs work for me.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 5th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"bobdobbs" wrote in message
I do a lot of bike touring and my old (we're talking 30 years)
Shimanos are more tape than shoe. I am looking for recommendations on
a bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless so that's not a
necessarily element, although both my Shimanos and Lakes have clipless
features.

I prefer suede style over leather. Lightweight, breathable, walkable
is most important.

I have a pair of mid 70s Specialized Touring shoes that are about to give
up the ghost.

I'm trying out some Specialized Sonoma shoes with toeclips. Their made of
suede leather with Velcro straps. They have reasonably smooth soles with
removable rubber covers over the clipless cleat attachment areas. I wear
10 1/2 EEE shoes. They're pretty wide, size 45 fits me well.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=26101

Chas.

Old August 5th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 2, 7:34*pm, bobdobbs wrote:
I do a lot of bike touring and my old (we're talking 30 years)
Shimanos are more tape than shoe. I am looking for recommendations on
a bike shoe that provides at least a reasonable amount of support and
that can be used for off-bike walking. I only carry two shoes on my
tours - both multipurpose. I don't ride clipless so that's not a
necessarily element, although both my Shimanos and Lakes have clipless
features.

I prefer suede style over leather. Lightweight, breathable, walkable
is most important.

All shoes for mtb are for walking and work very well. There are some
that look like tennis shoes and others that look more like biking
shoes. But they all have a recessed cleat. You need to get into
clipless pedals so that you can take advantage of the recessed cleat
feature. Clipless pedals run for $50 or less. You can get them as
cheap and $20. Go to nashbar.com or performancebike.com or
pricepoint.com for a huge selection of shoes and pedals.

Andres
Old August 5th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 2, 10:06*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
"bobdobbs" wrote in message
[...]

Also, casual dress hoes are designed to look like biking shoes. People
are spending hundreds for branded shoes that look like biking shoes. I
hate biking clothes. I only wear it for riding because it is
definitely much more comfortable on a bike. Off the bike I don't want
to be wearing anything that reminds me a cycling. No zippers on my
collar, no velcro straps on shoes, no tights and no rear pockets on my
shirts.
Old August 5th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Why limit the choice to bike shoes?

Agree

What abt some of the shoes made by Keen?

http://zeta.zappos.com/brand/427/Keen?