OT - US cyclists apologize for wearing masks

Old August 7th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default OT - US cyclists apologize for wearing masks

http://tinyurl.com/6l2hk4

BEIJING (AP)—A group of American cyclists has apologized to Beijing
Olympic organizers after arriving in China’s capital wearing face
masks.

Michael Friedman, Sarah Hammer, Bobby Lea and Jennie Reed released a
statement Wednesday, a day after they caused a stir by showing up in
the protective gear.

“The wearing of protective masks upon our arrival into Beijing was
strictly a precautionary measure we as athletes chose to take, and was
in no way meant to serve as an environmental or political statement,”
the athletes said. “We deeply regret the nature of our choices. Our
decision was not intended to insult BOCOG or countless others who have
put forth a tremendous amount of effort to improve the air quality in
Beijing.”

What is with this mania of apologizing to Chinese?
They were supposed to clean the air in Beijing. They did not.
They were supposed to allow for Olympics free of censorship.
Well - two days ago they revoked visa of US Olympic gold medalist Joey
Cheek:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/sp...s/06cheek.html
just because he dared to be involved in human rights for Darfur
movement
and our future Chinese masters cannot tolerate any opposition to their
military
support of Darfur butchery?
And we smile and bow when we are being insulted?
And apologize? This getting ridiculous.
Old August 7th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 7, 5:22*am, Woland99 wrote:
[...]

they should apologize for going
Old August 8th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Woland99 wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/6l2hk4

BEIJING (AP)‹A group of American cyclists has apologized to Beijing
Olympic organizers after arriving in China¹s capital wearing face
masks.

Michael Friedman, Sarah Hammer, Bobby Lea and Jennie Reed released a
statement Wednesday, a day after they caused a stir by showing up in
the protective gear.

³The wearing of protective masks upon our arrival into Beijing was
strictly a precautionary measure we as athletes chose to take, and
was in no way meant to serve as an environmental or political
statement,² the athletes said. ³We deeply regret the nature of our
choices. Our decision was not intended to insult BOCOG or countless
others who have put forth a tremendous amount of effort to improve
the air quality in Beijing.²

What is with this mania of apologizing to Chinese?

Hmmm. Let's see. There's nearly a billion and a half of them in China.
They have nukes. They have a bigass army. They've blown up an orbiting
satellite. They make most of the cheap consumer products sold around
the world. The United States owes them billions of dollars on debt
instruments. There is very little regard for human rights within the
boundaries of China. They have zero tolerance for criticism.

That about cover it?

They were supposed to clean the air in Beijing. They did not.

They were supposed to allow for Olympics free of censorship.

Well - two days ago they revoked visa of US Olympic gold medalist
Joey Cheek:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/sp...s/06cheek.html just
because he dared to be involved in human rights for Darfur movement
and our future Chinese masters cannot tolerate any opposition to
their military support of Darfur butchery?

And we smile and bow when we are being insulted?
And apologize? This getting ridiculous.

Yup. Been ridiculous for a long time. We've been more than willing to
look away at the regular parade of Chinese atrocities in order to
maintain the flow of cheap TVs and frying pans and pet food and fake
drugs. Tiananmen Square? Tibet? The Uighurs? What's that, then?
Hey, send me 50,000 more TVs, we're going digital.

What are these "ethics" you speak about?
Old August 8th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Woland99 wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/6l2hk4

BEIJING (AP)—A group of American cyclists has apologized to Beijing
Olympic organizers after arriving in China’s capital wearing face
masks.

Michael Friedman, Sarah Hammer, Bobby Lea and Jennie Reed released a
statement Wednesday, a day after they caused a stir by showing up in
the protective gear....

Sarah looks better without the mask:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_8an0kOIfnzI/RYY2TGYL9PI/AAAAAAAAAJY/tfLUpF8PWPs/s1600-h/sarahhammerwp.jpg.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 8th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The only thing that is shameful is that the
even is going to china.

On Aug 7, 7:07*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/sp...cheek.htmljust
because he dared to be involved in human rights for Darfur movement
and our future Chinese masters cannot tolerate any opposition to
their military support of Darfur butchery?

And we smile and bow when we are being insulted?
And apologize? This getting ridiculous.

Yup. *Been ridiculous for a long time. *We've been more than willing to
look away at the regular parade of Chinese atrocities in order to
maintain the flow of cheap TVs and frying pans and pet food and fake
drugs. *Tiananmen Square? *Tibet? *The Uighurs? *What's that, then? *
Hey, send me 50,000 more TVs, we're going digital.

What are these "ethics" you speak about?- Hide quoted text -

Old August 8th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Don Mackie

If they were serious about protection from particulate matter they
would wear respirators rather than Michael Jackson's cast-offs.
So they were a gesture.

Old August 8th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Iain Dalton

On Aug 7, 5:07*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
Hmmm. *Let's see. *There's nearly a billion and a half of them in China. *
They have nukes. *They have a bigass army. *They've blown up an orbiting
satellite. *They make most of the cheap consumer products sold around
the world. *The United States owes them billions of dollars on debt
instruments. *There is very little regard for human rights within the
boundaries of China. *They have zero tolerance for criticism.

Oh no, not nukes! Have you heard of mutual assured destruction? A
state can't use nukes against another state. It's suicide. I'll give
you many of the other points, but I don't think they have "zero
tolerance" for criticism, or they would have launched said nukes.
Old August 11th 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Aug 7, 4:22 am, Woland99 wrote:
[...]

Well - ok - this is not directly related but I think that
Bela Karolyi hit the nail on the head when he said that "China
must think US is stupid":
http://tinyurl.com/6cj4dg
----------------
BEIJING (AP)—Bela Karolyi seethed as he watched the Chinese women
compete Sunday.

Not because of how good they were in qualifications, finishing 1.475
points ahead of the American team that often trains at his Texas
ranch. What bothered the most famous man in gymnastics was “China’s
arrogance” for using girls he wasn’t even sure were teenagers yet.

“They are using half-people,” Karolyi said. “One of the biggest
frustrations is, what arrogance. These people think we are stupid.
--------------
And that translates to everything - not just gymnastics.
Old August 11th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

*Woland99 wrote:
[...]

All correct except the fact they have no way to get their big ass army
anywhere unless they walk or use trucks. No transport aircraft or ship
types in any meaningful numbers plus altho a BIG Army, a relatively
small Navy and AirForce, with which to protect the Army when it goes
anywhere.

Our next(or present) adversary is the Chinese. We should cuddle up
more with some of the other 'powers' in the world, like Russia,
instead of transporting Georgian troops from Iraq to the fighting with
Russia. Really dumb, IMO, but it was a Gates/Cheny decision, rubber
stamped by Dubya.

That about cover it?