OT - US cyclists apologize for wearing masks

Old August 12th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default OT - US cyclists apologize for wearing masks

In article
,
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

it was a xxxxxx/Cheny decision, rubber stamped by Dubya.

Story of the past 8 years.
Old August 12th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Woland99 wrote:
On Aug 7, 4:22 am, Woland99 wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/6l2hk4

BEIJING (AP)—A group of American cyclists has apologized to Beijing
Olympic organizers after arriving in China’s capital wearing facemasks.

Michael Friedman, Sarah Hammer, Bobby Lea and Jennie Reed released a
statement Wednesday, a day after they caused a stir by showing up in
the protective gear.

“The wearing of protectivemasksupon our arrival into Beijing was
strictly a precautionary measure we as athletes chose to take, and was
in no way meant to serve as an environmental or political statement,”
the athletes said. “We deeply regret the nature of our choices. Our
decision was not intended to insult BOCOG or countless others who have
put forth a tremendous amount of effort to improve the air quality in
Beijing.”

What is with this mania of apologizing to Chinese?
They were supposed to clean the air in Beijing. They did not.
They were supposed to allow for Olympics free of censorship.
Well - two days ago they revoked visa of US Olympic gold medalist Joey
Cheek:http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/sp...s/06cheek.html
just because he dared to be involved in human rights for Darfur
movement
and our future Chinese masters cannot tolerate any opposition to their
military
support of Darfur butchery?
And we smile and bow when we are being insulted?
And apologize? This getting ridiculous.

Well - ok - this is not directly related but I think that
Bela Karolyi hit the nail on the head when he said that "China
must think US is stupid":
http://tinyurl.com/6cj4dg
----------------
BEIJING (AP)—Bela Karolyi seethed as he watched the Chinese women
compete Sunday.

Not because of how good they were in qualifications, finishing 1.475
points ahead of the American team that often trains at his Texas
ranch. What bothered the most famous man in gymnastics was “China’s
arrogance” for using girls he wasn’t even sure were teenagers yet.

“They are using half-people,” Karolyi said. “One of the biggest
frustrations is, what arrogance. These people think we are stupid.
--------------
And that translates to everything - not just gymnastics.

Now, now now, careful or you will be accused of being racist.

The counter is if you take the people out of the environment, their
children will grow up to be like those around them (much to the dismay
of those who hoped to live in the US but maintain a foreign culture).

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 12th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
On Aug 7, 5:07 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

Woland99 wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/6l2hk4
BEIJING (AP)‹A group of American cyclists has apologized to Beijing
Olympic organizers after arriving in China¹s capital wearing face
masks.
Michael Friedman, Sarah Hammer, Bobby Lea and Jennie Reed released a
statement Wednesday, a day after they caused a stir by showing up in
the protective gear.
³The wearing of protective masks upon our arrival into Beijing was
strictly a precautionary measure we as athletes chose to take, and
was in no way meant to serve as an environmental or political
statement,² the athletes said. ³We deeply regret the nature of our
choices. Our decision was not intended to insult BOCOG or countless
others who have put forth a tremendous amount of effort to improve
the air quality in Beijing.²
What is with this mania of apologizing to Chinese?

Hmmm. Let's see. There's nearly a billion and a half of them in China.
They have nukes. They have a bigass army. They've blown up an orbiting
satellite. They make most of the cheap consumer products sold around
the world. The United States owes them billions of dollars on debt
instruments. There is very little regard for human rights within the
boundaries of China. They have zero tolerance for criticism.

All correct except the fact they have no way to get their big ass army
anywhere unless they walk or use trucks. No transport aircraft or ship
types in any meaningful numbers plus altho a BIG Army, a relatively
small Navy and AirForce, with which to protect the Army when it goes
anywhere.

The Chinese could easily build modern transport aircraft, since all the
technology has been outsourced in the name of cheap labor. Of course,
all the companies outsourcing technology disregarded that it could be
used equally well to build anti-ship, anti-aircraft and ballistic
missiles. Yet, we hear no criticism of this in the context of national
security. Guess we know what is really important, eh?

Our next(or present) adversary is the Chinese. We should cuddle up
more with some of the other 'powers' in the world, like Russia,
instead of transporting Georgian troops from Iraq to the fighting with
Russia. Really dumb, IMO, but it was a Gates/Cheny decision, rubber
stamped by Dubya.

Hard to convince old cold warriors that they should stop fighting the
Cold War.

Remember, China has a lot more cheap laborers than Russia, and since the
Russians are better educated, they would have to paid more to make
Western consumer crap.

Old August 12th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

*Woland99 wrote:
[...]

Tom Sherman writes-" Hard to convince old cold warriors that they should stop fighting the
Cold War."

If you think all is well in the world, that large, powerful counter
thinking countries are eager to go do group hugs and sing 'everything
is beautiful', go back to disneyland.

Russia, India, China, with lots of little, but powerful friends. Just
cuz we outbid the old Soviet Union, doesn't mean we are surrounded by
'friends'.

Old August 13th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:

Woland99 wrote:
[...]

Never went to Disneyland.

Russia, India, China, with lots of little, but powerful friends. Just
cuz we outbid the old Soviet Union, doesn't mean we are surrounded by
'friends'.

Geeze, Peter, I was agreeing with you [1] - Russia should not be the
enemy. Meanwhile, the corporatists that rule the US have exported the
US's manufacturing base and technology to China. The Chinese will have a
huge surplus of tens of million young men [2] combined with rapidly
diminishing natural resources, in particular fresh water and arable
soil. And when they go to war to meet their needs, the US will have
armed them.

[1] Yeah, I know, a shock to the system.
[2] Due to gender preference abortions.