Cyclocomputers: wired vs. wireless

Old August 8th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rodney Dunning

Default Cyclocomputers: wired vs. wireless

I replaced my CatEye Astrale 8 about three weeks ago with a CatEye
Strada (with cadence). The Astrale 8 stopped reading the cadence, and
simple tests showed the problem was in the wiring harness. Now the
Strada is doing the same thing, except both speed and cadence
sometimes read zero when I'm pedaling. Preliminary tests again show
the problem is in the wiring harness. (Basically, if I stop and fiddle
with the wires, the readings come back.)

I have two road bikes, and the Astrale 8 on my other bike, used for
indoor training only, has worked flawlessly for two years. So I tend
to discount the possibility that I'm damaging the wiring during
installation, or installing in a way that tends to put too much stress
on the wiring.

So I'm thinking about switching to a wireless system that includes
cadence. What's out there? What units provide the least
interference? Which units are good and which are awful?

Thanks for your input.

--
Rodney Dunning
Old August 8th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Galinat

"Rodney Dunning" wrote in message
So I'm thinking about switching to a wireless system that includes
cadence. What's out there? What units provide the least
interference? Which units are good and which are awful?

Thanks for your input.

--
Rodney Dunning

Hi Rodney,
While I can't comment on any other wireless cyclometers since this is my
first, I have had good luck with the Sigma BC 1606L DTS wireless with
cadence cycle computer. I also picked us a 2nd bike mount with cadence for
my rough road/dirt road bike (Fuji Cross) and it has also worked well on
both bikes for about 1 year now. Please see the links below for more info.
Good luck in your search.
Jeff Galinat

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...rt%20U%2ES%2EA

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...0&CS_010=57754

Old August 8th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hell And High Water

In article 20268f0a-7714-4da9-8069-
,
says...
[...]

I just went through this.

Had a Trek Incite 9i wireless, but wanted to add cadence.

Choices:

1. Trek (or other vendors) 'Double Wireless', IE wireless speed and
wireless cadence.

Good: No wires

Bad: Fantastically expensive

2. Wireless speed, wired cadence

Good: Lower price than double wireless systems

Bad: If you've got one wire, why not two??

3. Wired speed/Wired cadence

Good: Low cost

Bad: Wires

I'm cheap, so I settled for the Trek Incite 11i.

Low cost, high quality. I've got my cadence, and all the features I had
before.

I'm not thrilled with the wires, but for the money I saved, I can live
with it.

-Bob

--
Rodney Dunning

Old August 8th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 8, 12:25*pm, Rodney Dunning wrote:
[...]

polar cs system; I've the cs600, but there are other units a bit
cheaper; but it is using a 2.4ghz transmission and in my experience
entirely reliable including areas with high voltage lines etc that
previously affected other wireless systems I've tried.
Old August 8th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex Kerr

Rodney Dunning wrote:
So I'm thinking about switching to a wireless system that includes
cadence. What's out there? What units provide the least
interference? Which units are good and which are awful?

I don't like that wireless computers require you to remember to push a
button before you start riding to turn them back on or else you lose
some data. I'd most definitely forget, frequently. Are there any that
wake up automatically?

I've never had any problem with any of my SigmaSport wired computers...

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old August 8th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

Rodney Dunning wrote:
I replaced my CatEye Astrale 8 about three weeks ago with a CatEye
Strada (with cadence). The Astrale 8 stopped reading the cadence, and
simple tests showed the problem was in the wiring harness. Now the
Strada is doing the same thing, except both speed and cadence
sometimes read zero when I'm pedaling. Preliminary tests again show
the problem is in the wiring harness. (Basically, if I stop and fiddle
with the wires, the readings come back.)

I have two road bikes, and the Astrale 8 on my other bike, used for
indoor training only, has worked flawlessly for two years. So I tend
to discount the possibility that I'm damaging the wiring during
installation, or installing in a way that tends to put too much stress
on the wiring.

Just to be sure, check that the contacts are clean between the computer
"head" and mounting bracket. Dirt or corrosion there will make older
Cateyes register zero, jiggling the head gets results like you describe.

If "fiddl[ing] with the wires" might move the pickups, make sure they
are placed close enough to the magnets.

You /might/ not have a problem at all, worth a check.

Mark J.
Old August 12th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 8, 4:52*pm, Mark wrote:
Rodney Dunning wrote:
[...]

In addition to cleaning the contacts, you might want to put a thin
film of petroleum jelly or something similar on those contacts. I
can't help but wonder if you've got something under the cadence
contact.

Pat
Old August 13th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Davo

wrote:
On Aug 8, 4:52 pm, Mark wrote:
Rodney Dunning wrote:
[...]

The plating on the contacts often wears off, causing rust on the
underlying metal. Cleaning them is a short term solution as the rust
will soon come back.