Shimano Titanium Cassette life expectancy

Old August 11th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Default Shimano Titanium Cassette life expectancy

I have a Shimano 11-30T 8 speed titanium cassette that I got new for great
price.

I'm using it on a road bike in dry weather. I use a dry wax type chain
lube. I've been cleaning the dirt off of the chain, cassette and
chainrings with a dry brush and rags and reapplying chain lube every
couple of rides.

Under these conditions what's the life expectancy of the cogs on this
cassette vs. steel cogs?

Chas.

Old August 11th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 11, 12:33*pm, "* * Chas" (remove
spamski to e-mail me) wrote:
I have a Shimano 11-30T 8 speed titanium cassette that I got new for great
price.

I'm using it on a road bike in dry weather. I use a dry wax type chain
lube. I've been cleaning the dirt off of the chain, cassette and
chainrings with a dry brush and rags and reapplying chain lube every
couple of rides.

Under these conditions what's the life expectancy of the cogs on this
cassette vs. steel cogs?

Chas.

I've been racing a Dura-Ace 9 speed cassette in two seasons of
cyclocross. That's about eight races each year, plus practices and
assorted road riding during the 'cross season.

I add TriFlow to the chain every week and wipe off some of the dirt
along with the extra lube. I do not clean the chain.

So far no sign of wear.

Same treatment of a Dura-Ace 10 speed on the road. Cleaner conditions,
but more miles.

Still no sign of wear.
Old August 11th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
On Aug 11, 12:33 pm, "* * Chas" (remove
spamski to e-mail me) wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The titanium cogs appear to have some type of surface treatment.
Maybe they've been anodized to give longer wear.

I like the smooth feel of the titanium cogs, almost like comparing steel
to aluminum chainrings.

Chas.