Stuff you didn't know you needed

Old March 3rd 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Stuff you didn't know you needed

This looks handy:

https://chainlift.com

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 3rd 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 17:05:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

This looks handy:

https://chainlift.com

I would ask... do you now have problems removing and replacing the
rear wheel?
Or to phrase it another way, "is this yet another unneeded gewgaw?"
:-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 3rd 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

This looks handy:

https://chainlift.com

I would ask... do you now have problems removing and replacing the
rear wheel?
Or to phrase it another way, "is this yet another unneeded gewgaw?"
:-)

Some people like them, and they have been around in one form or another since forever. My last custom steel frame had a brazed-on peg on the seat stay to hold the chain. My current approach to messy chains: https://tinyurl.com/sawjlgx

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 4th 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

This looks handy:

https://chainlift.com

I would ask... do you now have problems removing and replacing the
rear wheel?
Or to phrase it another way, "is this yet another unneeded gewgaw?"
:-)

Some people like them, and they have been around in one form or another since forever. My last custom steel frame had a brazed-on peg on the seat stay to hold the chain. My current approach to messy chains: https://tinyurl.com/sawjlgx

-- Jay Beattie.

Yup, the brazon(ed) "chain hanger". Been on bicycles since the year
dot. Almost weightless and at zero cost - comes free on the frame.
And now, suddenly, we need yet another gizmo. A genuine "ChainLIFT",
and for only $67.15 (order now and save $11.85 :-)

But, of course it does convey bragging rights. When someone asks,
"what's that hulking POS there on the back of your bicycle?" One can
reply, "Oh! That" That's my ChainLIFT, and dirt cheap at only $67.15".
(And not only that but demand has been so high that delivery time is
now at least a month!)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 4th 20, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

This looks handy:

https://chainlift.com

I would ask... do you now have problems removing and replacing the
rear wheel?
Or to phrase it another way, "is this yet another unneeded gewgaw?"
:-)

Some people like them, and they have been around in one form or another since forever. My last custom steel frame had a brazed-on peg on the seat stay to hold the chain. My current approach to messy chains: https://tinyurl.com/sawjlgx

-- Jay Beattie.

Correct. And no one actually buys them.
So every few years some dope resurrects it with some new
wrinkle and after much hype... no one buys them.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 4th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 17:05:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

This looks handy:
https://chainlift.com

$67. Ouch.

Some alternatives:

"Clean like a pro: Nine of the best chain keepers reviewed"
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/best-chain-keepers-reviewed-chain-clean-tool/

More of the same:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+dummy+hub&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+chain+keeper&tbm=isch
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chain+keeper

I made one similar to a Park DH-1:
https://www.parktool.com/product/dummy-hub-dh-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJr-aj5aMAA (1:06)
out of junk I had laying around the shop. I would post a photo, but I
can't find my copy. A chain keeper can easily be fabricated from a
quick release, some tubing, and a small pulley to support the chain.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 4th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

This looks handy:
https://chainlift.com

$67. Ouch.

Some alternatives:

"Clean like a pro: Nine of the best chain keepers reviewed"
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/best-chain-keepers-reviewed-chain-clean-tool/

More of the same:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+dummy+hub&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+chain+keeper&tbm=isch
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chain+keeper

I made one similar to a Park DH-1:
https://www.parktool.com/product/dummy-hub-dh-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJr-aj5aMAA (1:06)
out of junk I had laying around the shop. I would post a photo, but I
can't find my copy. A chain keeper can easily be fabricated from a
quick release, some tubing, and a small pulley to support the chain.

There was a time, once long ago, when brake cables shot
straight out the tops of the levers and we poor ill educated
savages were wan to flip bikes upside down to change a wheel.

In our brave new world, just flipping the damned bike upside
down makes everything quick, simple and clean without need
for chain gadgets.

Old March 4th 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

This looks handy:

https://chainlift.com

I would ask... do you now have problems removing and replacing the
rear wheel?
Or to phrase it another way, "is this yet another unneeded gewgaw?"
:-)

Some people like them, and they have been around in one form or
another since forever.Â* My last custom steel frame had a brazed-on peg
on the seat stay to hold the chain. My current approach to messy
chains: https://tinyurl.com/sawjlgx

-- Jay Beattie.

Correct.Â* And no one actually buys them.
So every few years some dope resurrects it with some new wrinkle and
after much hype... no one buys them.

I won't buy one, of course. I lube my chains while they're fully mounted
on the bike. And since I wax them, they barely get dirty.

Besides, a plastic gizmo wouldn't meet my standards. I'd need one brazed
out of 531; or if I were feeling relatively modern and jaunty, maybe
6061 aluminum alloy.

But I think this one's super quick operation is clever. It keeps the
chain more controlled than most, and never lets it hit the chainstay.
Also, I confess to an unreasoning love of lever and linkage systems.

I agree, this will be gone from the market in a few months.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 4th 20, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Of course, it's not normally on the bike...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 4th 20, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

This looks handy:

https://chainlift.com

I would ask... do you now have problems removing and replacing the
rear wheel?

It's interesting. Of all my bikes, by far the most flats happen on the
1986 Cannondale, which is used for most longer solo rides. (The tandem
is used too, but almost never gets a flat. Perhaps that's because I'm
always searching our potholes for a smooth path. A wife's comfort is
valuable!)

Anyway, the Cannondale is also the one bike whose rear wheel I struggle
with. In all these years I've never spotted the exact problem, but when
reinstalling it, it won't go and won't go and won't go... and then it
pops in, and I've never seen why. Something to do with the right
(vertical) dropout, I think.

I suppose if I got more flats I'd get motivated to check it out
seriously. Maybe one of these decades...

--
- Frank Krygowski