Riding in the Age of COVID-19.

Old March 16th 20, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Riding in the Age of COVID-19.

Spectacular ride today with my son in Salt Lake City -- on my old Roubaix festooned with Specialized swag from my son's scratch-and-dent purchases, including some Zipp 404 Firecrest 60mm CF wheels (disc brake) that he got for like $20. Great climbing wheels, except in a cross-wind -- and we got a lot of that today. That is a great bike, and I kind of regret selling it to my son after it was returned by PPB after it was stolen. It still has the BB30, Wheels Mfg adapters for Shimano that I installed and that are still silent. Amazingly quiet bike for BB30.

My son was on his S-Works Tarmac that weighs like a pound. ETap and, gasp, olde-tyme SRAM Red rim brakes that I scavenged off my old SuperSix. He had a spare Stages head-unit from working at Stages that he traded to a guy at Specialized for some high-end Roval rim-brake CF wheels. He has good dry braking -- wet not so much.

The Wasatch are spectacular. https://epiconeadventures.com/wp-con...r-option-1.jpg We did a hilly route along the Wasatch front down to Big Cottonwood and went up a ways, but the fascinating pandemic news is that all the Big and Little Cottonwood ski resorts are closing. No skiing at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton. Even the Park City and Ogden area resorts are closing. We got in a ski day at Snow Basin just before it closed -- where I hobnobbed with the infected. I was totally short of breath, but probably because the top of the gondola is 9,300 feet -- which is a stretch coming from sea level.

Closing the resorts is going to be a hit to the economy, although its pretty late in the season, so probably not that big of a hit. I feel sorry for all the people who expected to go skiing next week on spring break -- and all the people employed in the various service industries besides the resorts. We stay at a hotel on the University campus that gets a lot of conventions, and its basically dead. Totally different vibe city-wide.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 16th 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 8:46:05 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Well, we don't have much in the way of ski resorts. But the word is
all Ohio bars and restaurants are now closed.

I have great sympathy for the thousands upon thousands of restaurant
workers who are suddenly without work. The bulk of them must be
people who are toward the lower end of the prosperity scale. The state
is taking steps to ease unemployment compensation requirements, but
it's still bound to be tough.

This mess is going to expose all the gaps in our economic and health
care systems.

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 16th 20, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 15 March 2020 23:09:15 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

This mess might be as bad or almost as bad for the economies as the Great Depression was.

Cheers
Old March 16th 20, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 20:09:12 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Here it is already causing job losses and downturns in the economy.
They estimate there may be as many as 10 million fewer tourists this
year and hotels and hostels are already laying off help. The Airlines
are cutting flights and laying off people, overseas workers are coming
home with the loss of the money that they send home.

And, Thailand has relatively few virus cases - some 114 total cases
and 37 of them have recovered and one died.

I can't imagine what it must be like in places like Italy; or China.

I also read that most developed countries have in the vicinity of 2.??
- 3.?? hospital beds per 1,000 citizens and that they are normally
between 60 -70% occupied, which would seem to indicate that if there
is any large increase in sickness that there will be people sleeping
in the isles :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 16th 20, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 4:09:15 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

My cycling trip to Spain at the end of this month was cancelled and one employee of our R&D department were I work was diagnosed with COVID-19 virus last Friday. They closed the R&D department for a week to begin with, so I'm sitting home at the moment. Bad weekend.

Lou
Old March 16th 20, 08:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

lou.holtman wrote:
On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 4:09:15 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 8:46:05 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

The Wasatch are spectacular.
https://epiconeadventures.com/wp-con...r-option-1.jpg
We did a hilly route along the Wasatch front down to Big Cottonwood
and went up a ways, but the fascinating pandemic news is that all the
Big and Little Cottonwood ski resorts are closing. No skiing at Alta,
Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton. Even the Park City and Ogden area
resorts are closing. We got in a ski day at Snow Basin just before
it closed -- where I hobnobbed with the infected. I was totally short
of breath, but probably because the top of the gondola is 9,300 feet
-- which is a stretch coming from sea level.

Funny how multi-person, closed gondolas are suddenly so demode, and you wish
they had not replaced that single-seater from 1950 that nobody had wanted to
stand in line at and freeze in.

Closing the resorts is going to be a hit to the economy, although its
pretty late in the season, so probably not that big of a hit. I feel
sorry for all the people who expected to go skiing next week on
spring break -- and all the people employed in the various service
industries besides the resorts. We stay at a hotel on the University
campus that gets a lot of conventions, and its basically dead.
Totally different vibe city-wide.

Well, we don't have much in the way of ski resorts. But the word is all
Ohio bars and restaurants are now closed.

It seems unfortunate they don't allow the cleanest ones to continue to sell
hot food to pick up outside. Everyone who's not been cooking heads to the
stores and panic-buys.

I have great sympathy for the thousands upon thousands of restaurant
workers who are suddenly without work. The bulk of them must be people
who are toward the lower end of the prosperity scale. The state is
taking steps to ease unemployment compensation requirements, but it's
still bound to be tough.

This mess is going to expose all the gaps in our economic and health
care systems.

I'm splitting and cutting my prepper cubic meters of kitchen paper and
toilet paper so FEMA and violent liberals won't be able to just carry it
away by the pack.

My cycling trip to Spain at the end of this month was cancelled and one
employee of our R&D department were I work was diagnosed with COVID-19
virus last Friday. They closed the R&D department for a week to begin
with, so I'm sitting home at the moment. Bad weekend.

I stayed indoors because I had a slightly itchy throat ... from popping all
kinds of preventive antiviral herb and bee product extracts.

The infections from ski holidays in the Alps are popping up now. Tyrol put
tourism business first and really messed up, as did the tourists who,
against orders, did not head home directly. Time to sell a few road bikes
that will look too leisurely to pass the essential-travel check of curfew
enforcers. Just house a goat in your bike hall of fame. I suspect there's
going to be a serious deflation, especially for two-decades old Italian road
bikes bought for retirement, but rarely used.
Old March 16th 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/16/2020 4:37 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 4:09:15 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Well, we don't have much in the way of ski resorts. But the word is all
Ohio bars and restaurants are now closed.

It seems unfortunate they don't allow the cleanest ones to continue to sell
hot food to pick up outside. Everyone who's not been cooking heads to the
stores and panic-buys.

Actually, takeout food is still permitted, and at least one restaurant
owner was on the news announcing that they're setting up a drive-through
tent to facilitate food pickups.

(I imagine bike-through will be permitted as well.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 16th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 16.03.2020 um 01:46 schrieb jbeattie:
Closing the resorts is going to be a hit to the economy, although its
pretty late in the season, so probably not that big of a hit. I feel
sorry for all the people who expected to go skiing next week on
spring break -- and all the people employed in the various service
industries besides the resorts.

Not closing the resorts on time is the main reason for a large number of
the European cases:

1) after the first few cases south of Milan arund Feb 20, many people
"fled" to the skiing resorts in Alto Adige (Southern Tyrol), meeting
Germans on their "Carnival holidays". When lots of Germany were tested
positive after retruning from alto Agide, Germany labelled the region to
be a hotspot in early March, under massive protest of the tourist
industry there.
2) With Southern Tyrol closed for tourism, the austrian state of Tyrol
was happy to take the Scandinavian tourists, even though Iceland
declared Tyrol to be a risk-area on March 05, after finding a plane with
14 Corona-positive people at end of February. The ski resorts only
closed down this weekend, 2 weeks after the first serious reports.

Apparently, one bar man alone managed to infect a large number of tourists.
Close to 500 cases in Norway and 140 cases in Denmark are a direct
result of Scandinavians going skiing at day and partying at night like
every year.
Old March 16th 20, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/16/2020 11:52 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
[...]

Right and exactly how Italy became doomed. A Briton
attended his company's sales meeting in Singapore for a week
in early January. Staff attended from many places including
Wuhan, home of The Wuhan Bioweapon[1]. He spent three days
skiing the Italian Alps before visiting rural France and
back to Old Blighty.

[1] the PC types use a PC term, COVID19.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 17th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 9:41:55 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/16/2020 4:37 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 4:09:15 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Well, we don't have much in the way of ski resorts. But the word is all
Ohio bars and restaurants are now closed.

It seems unfortunate they don't allow the cleanest ones to continue to sell
hot food to pick up outside. Everyone who's not been cooking heads to the
stores and panic-buys.

Actually, takeout food is still permitted, and at least one restaurant
owner was on the news announcing that they're setting up a drive-through
tent to facilitate food pickups.

(I imagine bike-through will be permitted as well.)

We're headed back to Portland and got the last sit-down meals served in SLC.. All restaurants and bars are closing tomorrow except for those restaurants that sell take-out. My son's housemate is running a fever, coughing and testing negative for flu -- but he has to wait for two days before he can get a COVID-19 test. Not good news. Even Specialized is asking SLC business/service staff to work from home. BTW, we went to the warehouse/offices for a tour -- an impressive facility, much of it a federally restricted customs point of entry. Imagine the warehouse in the closing sequence of Raiders of the Lost Arc behind cyclone fencing. https://tinyurl.com/rn98vq2 The warehouse guys will continue working. Frank's new S-Works Tarmac 14lb super-bike will ship on time.

-- Jay Beattie.