State your opinion on COVID-19

Old May 17th 20, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default State your opinion on COVID-19

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 21:53:01 UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 7:53:38 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 5/14/2020 5:17 AM,
wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 5:23:02 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:56:48 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/13/2020 8:45 AM,
wrote:

Can we talk about bicycles in rec.bicycles.tech?

Choose from the following topics:

a) Helmet conspiracy
b) Dynamo lights versus battery powered lights
c) Chain cleaning and lubrication

Don't get me going on battery powered helmet lights. Gads, those are
blinding on a MUP/cycletrack -- right at eye level. I'd like to whack
those people with a waxy chain. And its always the guys with like six
lights, and they're always in places where you could get by with no light at all.

-- Jay Beattie.

+1 what a f*cking idiots. Once one of those idiots stopped me and asked
for directions. I told him he could get lost. I was lost myself for half a minute.

I never understood the appeal of helmet mounted lights. Supposedly for
mountain biking in the wilderness they have advantages, but for on the
road they seem to be inconvenient and annoying.

The appeal of helmet lights is they light up what you are looking at.
Personally I see with my eyes. And they look straight ahead. My helmet
light points straight ahead just like my eyes. So the helmet light
shines where my eyes are looking. Personally I don't care if the stuff I
am not looking at is lit up. Because I am not looking at it.

The downside of helmet mounted lights is that either the light source so
close angularly to the eyes, there are minimal shadows and things look
“flat”. Potholes in the road don’t stand out as much. Also, while the
helmet mounted light shines on what you’re looking at, a fork or handlebar
mounted light shines on what you should be looking at.

I've ridden trails at night in the dark with a handlebar mounted light and many times I did not have to turn the handlebar very far in order to make a turn. The result was the light shining off the trail and into stuff I was NOT interested in seeing but it didn't shine on the trail/path where I was headed and needed to see. That's where a supplementary helmet/head mounted light comes in might handy.

Cheers
Old May 17th 20, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

So please don't look at other people. Hmm, how is that gonna work with a two way bike path?

Lou
Old May 17th 20, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Crikey. I can’t write worth **** today. Let me try that first sentence
again. The downside of helmet mounted lights is that since the light source
is so close angularly to the eyes, there are minimal shadows and things
look “flat”.

Old May 17th 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't think anyone's discounting the usefulness of a helmet light when
riding off-road single track. And in that situation, a helmet light is
very unlikely to blind others.

On streets or MUPs it's another matter. Unless a helmet light has a very
narrow beam, it'll be blinding others. And I once tried one that did
have a narrow beam, but it was very annoying because I had to hold my
head in a very precise position to make use of the light.

As I've said before, LED technology has given us far more lumens than we
need in the forward direction. It's time for the headlamp designers to
redirect some of those lumens to give much, much broader beams. It
should now be possible to have nearly 180 degrees adequately lit, so
even nighttime off-road single track bends are easily visible.

BTW, I did a ride last night with my tiny B&M Eyc driven by an ancient
bottle dynamo. Once again, I was extremely pleased by the setup, and had
absolutely no problem seeing anything I needed to see. For me, it was a
luxurious amount of light.

I love riding at night.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 17th 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

My CygoLite Rover II external battery powered light with (tm) Crossfire technology, lights up the road with very close to a 180 degrees beam if not 180 degrees. Now if that light had ust a bit more range it would have been perfect. I like to see the skunks on the shoulders of the roads well before I get to those skunks. Startling skunks at night (or any other time for that matter) is not a great idea and can have rather stinky results as friend of mine found out late one night as he was riding home out in the country.

Cheers
Old May 17th 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Axel Reichert

Default Gravel bikes

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 5/15/2020 8:09 AM, Axel Reichert wrote:

Yes. For me, cycling is also meditation in motion.

That's wonderful phrasing. I agree 100%.

While meditating in motion yesterday, I was thinking about the phrasing
again. I think it lacks a second, crucial aspect: The cries of joy when
coming over the Furka pass from the east and for the first time watching
Belvedere or the humble tears when viewing the grandeur of the upper Lac
de Moiry or Colle del Nivolet.

So I suggest a small addition:

Cycling is meditation and emotion in motion.

Best regards

Axel
--
-X- | in memoriam John Conway
--X | 1937-2020
Old May 17th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/17/2020 1:20 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 10:02:49 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/17/2020 11:35 AM,
wrote:

The "excess mortality" for the US is about .3 per 100,000 or 960 people for this country. Accepting that there are fewer traffic deaths but vastly higher alcohol and suicides due to the lockdown any fool could see that the overwhelming majority of deaths were NATURALLY occurring from pre-existing health conditions.

Saturday's paper suggests some 30,000 excess deaths, not
960. Did you mean 'county' rather than 'country' perhaps?

And whichever it is (We may know more much later. Or not.)
the problem of 'garbage in= garbage out' remains. It's at
least very early for any after action report.

What I have been saying from the start is that everything is being based upon CDC statistics which have now been shown to be garbage.

This is why I want the CDC closed down and the statistics that they kept be subcontracted out to universities which are far less likely to be politicized ...

Tom, you're not keeping up with the right wing political message!
According to the right, universities are evil, liberal places infested
with democrats.

So it just won't do to entrust the data to universities. Heck, they're
likely to look at (gasp!) facts!

We know you don't like those trained and tested medical researchers,
statisticians, mathematicians, etc. at the CDC. And God forbid we should
let the WHO researchers have a say!

There's only one solution: Once again, we should turn the problem over
to an unemployed high school dropout with no experience at all in
processing relevant data. We can find one in California.

Hey, as we know, he needs the money. Grocery prices are up!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 18th 20, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 17 May 2020 10:20:51 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

What I have been saying from the start is that everything is being based
upon CDC statistics which have now been shown to be garbage.

This is why I want the CDC closed down and the statistics that they kept
be subcontracted out to universities which are far less likely to be
politicized

Wow, are you incredibly naieve. Universities are very polical and often
paid to make statement, especially when they are seeking external funding.

Old May 18th 20, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 17 May 2020 10:17:27 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

Ralph, the normal deaths in the population is 16.4 per 100,000 per week.
The present death rate is 16.7. It is a complicated measurement since so
many people are presently dying because of auto deaths, suicides,
delayed surgeries

If surgey ies delayed by hospital overcrowded by covid-19 cases, then if
a death results, then it is also a covid-19 death.

it is also and a sudden increase in deaths from alcoholism.

Interestingly because of lock downs, normal road traffic deahs have
dropped to be replaced by a significant nmber of head on deaths fron
speeding drivers under the influence of alcohol, They are speeding
because most traffic is off the roads and the normal road crawl no longer
exists. Again another covid-19 deah, but these cases just emphasis the
normal situation on death; it is rarely by one casue and often from a
culmulative number of effects where the body no onger has the resiliance
to keep going.

Old May 18th 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 12:14:45 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:

Ralph, the normal deaths in the population is 16.4 per 100,000 per week.
The present death rate is 16.7. It is a complicated measurement since so
many people are presently dying because of auto deaths, suicides, delayed
surgeries and a sudden increase in deaths from alcoholism.

Some units or additional context in your first posting would have been
nice.

The important thing is that I GAVE you the rates of deaths and during this so-called "Crisis" that additional deaths are only 1,500 or so and not 80,000+.

This illness is hardly worse that a bad cold and while they are screaming "KEEP THE SHUTDOWN" infections and deaths are dropping.

It is a false report that "infections are increasing" because all that means is that more testing is being accomplished and hence more positives are showing up.

Now remember what I said about this being pure bull**** from the CDC and then look at this chart from John's Hopkins school of medicine https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

The other countries on this map have no political points to make and so this misreporting of new cases or deaths due to the Wuhan Virus isn't necessary.

Who or what can beat COVID-19? Move into your sauna! Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 19 March 22nd 20 11:06 PM
Riding in the Age of COVID-19. jbeattie Techniques 26 March 18th 20 11:20 PM
your opinion birkes Mountain Biking 3 June 9th 06 11:50 PM
Your opinion silverfridge Unicycling 7 January 21st 06 03:57 AM
Your opinion on this Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 3 August 29th 04 10:08 PM