A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

It's not science until Pope Urban VIII says so

Old April 30th 20, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default It's not science until Pope Urban VIII says so

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:48:57 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 3:12:08 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 6:11:43 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 3:38:54 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 3:27:30 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/29/2020 5:01 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 9:18:33 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
Mr Josh Disbrow runs a medical device company called Aytu
Biosciences which since 2016 has been making a UV light
catheter for use against resistant lung infections. (there
are patents on similar US ideas going back to 2011).

Then last week, the President mentioned that as a possible
therapy for the Wuhan Bioweapon.
Not their company by name, only that internal UV may be a
promising area.

YouTube closed the company's video channel.
Then Vimeo did as well.
Then Twitter closed the company account.
They are inundated with hate mail.

Welcome to our new world, just like 1633 all over again!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

What happened in 1833?

The way the Democrats slaver for ten million American to die from coronavirus so they can move their senile hypocrite candidate into the White House is disgusting.

I welcomed the internet as Liberty Hall, empowering a voice for everyman without the editorial interference of people who were at school with me. I was wrong. What Everyman most wants is to shut up Everybody except himself, preferably permanently.

Andre Jute
Empowering -- what an odd word for the virulent disease the social media have become

The last notable iteration was in 1633, Trial of Galileo.

O.K., so a private company like Twitter and YouTube excluding someone from its private platform is the Inquisition? Look at it this way, Twitter and YouTube are exercising their free speech rights, which includes the right to not speak or support the speech of others. Nobody got stretched on the rack, boiled in oil or thrown in the iron maiden, dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agaHP0eQHmU

-- Jay Beattie.

Dude yourself, dickhead. If you were a real Liberal (like me for instance) you'd want Facebook, all the Alphabet companies surrounding Google like a defensive army, and of course Google itself, a very great malefactor, plus Amazon investigated for being vertical monopolies, charged, convicted and forced to break up so that there could be real competition, in which case, eventually, at long last you'd become right -- it's that poor blind squirrel eventually finding a nut, which so impressed you a few days ago. As it is, Facebook and the clowns at Twitter etc pass social sentences of death because they dominate the market to such an extent that there is no room for anyone else to breathe; it's the electronic equivalent of the Amish curse of shunning. The effect of a handful of such monsters in the market has been known in the theoretical literature since 1933 when Joan Robinson first formulated the practical theory of oligopoly to stand beside the theory of monopoly: of course the practice of oligopoly was known since the time Standard Oil was inadequately broken up, but naming an describing it was and remains an important. Technically, oligopolists do not produce units below the marginal one in the hope of clearing the market; they operate at so few units above the marginal one that the capital cost -- and risk -- kills any possibility for startups, no matter how innovative, to take them on. Apple has already been burned by Robinson's ghost: in Apple v Pepper in 2019 the Supreme court used her monopsony formulation (about the one-sided wage-setting power of these huge oligopolies) to decide against Apple.

Andre Jute

Thank you for the tedious and fractured discussion of anti-trust, but what does that have to do with the right of YouTube, Twitter or other internet platforms to exclude users in accordance withe the express terms of its user agreements -- or for any reason? You can huff and sputter and stomp your feet, but there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it except not patronize the site. https://www.scribd.com/document/4489...ion#from_embed

-- Jay Beattie.

"Tedius and fractured", eh? You're foaming at the mouth, Jay. If I thought you knew any of that, I wouldn't have told you, including a couple of subtle references to where you can lean more. And, sure, there is a link between anti-trust law and the behaviour of Facebook, Twitter, Google, Amazon et al: they are using the public airwaves to build their illegal dominance. I'd expect even a Portland insurance lawyer to see and admit that, if he were honest, and not inflamed by Donkey politics.

I was coming back to post on myself, but since you chimed-in -- I'll put it here. My partner just hit the news for standing up for MAGA hat wearers. https://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...-training.html Another interesting factoid, the Google case I linked cited to Lloyd Corporation v. Tanner, a case my partner Carl Neil argued in the SCOTUS. First Amendment issues come up with more regularity than you might think, particularly with anti-SLAPP suits and punitive damages based on expressive speech. Its one of the few constitutional amendments that makes it into civil practice.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads
Old April 30th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 3:29:11 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 6:28:06 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
This whole thread is an interesting study in the reactions of the Left. Note how they all want bureaucratic barriers thrown up to what may or may not be a good idea, as they did for chemical alleviation or possible cure for the coronavirus, simply because the President spoke favourably of these possibilities. There are a lot of real sick puppies in the Donkey Party, vomiting up their bile over a whole nation.

Contrast the reaction in Britain: See:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52309294

Contrast that to what? I don't see the UK approving UV endoscopes or Lysol injections. They're trialing chloroquine just like the US. Considering that ventilators are old technology, I would assume that any manufacturer could get 510(k) fast-track approval. And the existing market can ramp up, or we can move the existing stock -- which is what we're doing. https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...-together.html

The non-insane (which you call the Donkey party) simply want public health decisions made based on science and data rather than "you know, I feel good about this . . . I think it could be perfect, beautiful -- you know a cure. It will save a lot of lives. I think so, and you know, people have told me
I'm smart. I have a feeling for this."

Good luck with that, feller. Personally, I hope that by the time Vice-President Pence becomes President Pence in January 2025 for two full terms, he will have learned the Trump Stream of Consciousness which Infuriates the Swamp.

As *President* Trump said to the bimbo questioning him impertinently during a coronavirus briefing, "You'll be the last person I'll tell."

You people still haven't learned that you're on a losing wicket trying to tell Mr Trump what he can say and how he should say it. You, and everyone who agrees with you, and that dim bimbo in the press conference who doesn't know when she's beaten, are part of the swamp President Trump promised to clear out.

Andre Jute
In 2032 I'll switch sides on the principle that in the interest of accountability one party shouldn't rule forever, and that it is the Donkeys' turn. Heh-heh!
Old April 30th 20, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 3:58:35 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

promising area.

Then Vimeo did as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

What happened in 1833?

The way the Democrats slaver for ten million American to die from coronavirus so they can move their senile hypocrite candidate into the White House is disgusting.

I welcomed the internet as Liberty Hall, empowering a voice for everyman without the editorial interference of people who were at school with me. I was wrong. What Everyman most wants is to shut up Everybody except himself, preferably permanently.

Andre Jute
Empowering -- what an odd word for the virulent disease the social media have become

O.K., so a private company like Twitter and YouTube excluding someone from its private platform is the Inquisition? Look at it this way, Twitter and YouTube are exercising their free speech rights, which includes the right to not speak or support the speech of others. Nobody got stretched on the rack, boiled in oil or thrown in the iron maiden, dude. https://www..youtube.com/watch?v=agaHP0eQHmU

-- Jay Beattie.

Dude yourself, dickhead. If you were a real Liberal (like me for instance) you'd want Facebook, all the Alphabet companies surrounding Google like a defensive army, and of course Google itself, a very great malefactor, plus Amazon investigated for being vertical monopolies, charged, convicted and forced to break up so that there could be real competition, in which case, eventually, at long last you'd become right -- it's that poor blind squirrel eventually finding a nut, which so impressed you a few days ago. As it is, Facebook and the clowns at Twitter etc pass social sentences of death because they dominate the market to such an extent that there is no room for anyone else to breathe; it's the electronic equivalent of the Amish curse of shunning. The effect of a handful of such monsters in the market has been known in the theoretical literature since 1933 when Joan Robinson first formulated the practical theory of oligopoly to stand beside the theory of monopoly: of course the practice of oligopoly was known since the time Standard Oil was inadequately broken up, but naming an describing it was and remains an important. Technically, oligopolists do not produce units below the marginal one in the hope of clearing the market; they operate at so few units above the marginal one that the capital cost -- and risk -- kills any possibility for startups, no matter how innovative, to take them on. Apple has already been burned by Robinson's ghost: in Apple v Pepper in 2019 the Supreme court used her monopsony formulation (about the one-sided wage-setting power of these huge oligopolies) to decide against Apple.

Andre Jute

Thank you for the tedious and fractured discussion of anti-trust, but what does that have to do with the right of YouTube, Twitter or other internet platforms to exclude users in accordance withe the express terms of its user agreements -- or for any reason? You can huff and sputter and stomp your feet, but there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it except not patronize the site. https://www.scribd.com/document/4489...ion#from_embed

-- Jay Beattie.

"Tedius and fractured", eh? You're foaming at the mouth, Jay. If I thought you knew any of that, I wouldn't have told you, including a couple of subtle references to where you can lean more. And, sure, there is a link between anti-trust law and the behaviour of Facebook, Twitter, Google, Amazon et al: they are using the public airwaves to build their illegal dominance. I'd expect even a Portland insurance lawyer to see and admit that, if he were honest, and not inflamed by Donkey politics.

I was coming back to post on myself, but since you chimed-in -- I'll put it here. My partner just hit the news for standing up for MAGA hat wearers.. https://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...-training.html Another interesting factoid, the Google case I linked cited to Lloyd Corporation v. Tanner, a case my partner Carl Neil argued in the SCOTUS. First Amendment issues come up with more regularity than you might think, particularly with anti-SLAPP suits and punitive damages based on expressive speech.. Its one of the few constitutional amendments that makes it into civil practice.

-- Jay Beattie.

Hokkay! Your partners got it already. When will you, Jay? -- AJ
Old April 30th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 4/30/2020 9:54 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Another take on this is that, just like a newspaper editor who spews
filth daily these outfits ere entitled to their opinions, however rancid
those might be. You don't like the editorials on the front page or
Krugman in the back? Don't buy a NYT. Ditto for social media - don't go
there if you dislike their party line. I have never walked into a
WalMart either. Make your choice yourself.

Interesting. I also boycott WalMart. I've been in just a few, almost
entirely when traveling and unable to find other stores.

My annoyance is with their so far successful subterfuge that they are
some neutral service when, like Snopes, they have a decidedly persistent
bias.

Ah yes, bias.

The difficult part is finding an unbiased assessment of what constitutes
bias.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 30th 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

On 4/29/2020 1:18 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Mr Josh Disbrow runs a medical device companyÂ* called Aytu Biosciences
which since 2016 has been making a UV light catheter for use against
resistant lung infections. (there are patents on similar US ideas going
back to 2011).

https://factcheck.thedispatch.com/p/did-youtube-remove-a-video-about
Old April 30th 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

On 4/29/2020 5:38 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 5:02:45 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/29/2020 4:18 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Mr Josh Disbrow runs a medical device companyÂ* called Aytu Biosciences
which since 2016 has been making a UV light catheter for use against
resistant lung infections. (there are patents on similar US ideas going
back to 2011).

Then last week, the President mentioned that as a possible therapy for
the Wuhan Bioweapon.
Not their company by name, only that internal UV may be a promising area.

Then Vimeo did as well.

Here's a less breathless account of the YouTube incident:
https://factcheck.thedispatch.com/p/...-a-video-about

Looks like you can still see the video (really, a teasing advertisement)
at https://aytubio.com/ if you like.

--
- Frank Krygowski

It's a f****** proposed prototype. Its not approved or in use or anything more than a concept. And if you think it's the second coming, load up on Aytu Bioscience stock. Its $1.62 a share -- and dropping. What's next? Laetrile? Forsythia? Leaches? I'll wait for Trumps next tweet -- maybe its something I already have around the house, like huffing toothpaste.

Did you know that gullliblle is spelled with five Ls?
Old April 30th 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

On 4/29/2020 6:32 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 15:18:10 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

promising area.

Then Vimeo did as well.

I would ask, is this company's UV system approved for use in the U.S.?
From what I read the only product Aytu "product" that is licensed for
use is " the AYTU kit as made by Zhejiang Orient Gene Biotech
(Zhejiang, China) and to be sold/distributed to N. America by AYTU
Biosciences is right in the list- with notation, "Under an EUA"
(Emergency Use Approval)."

It is not approved and the company has warned against its use for
Covid-19. So of course the fans of the "stable genius" have have latched
onto it.
Old April 30th 20, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 8:13:50 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

promising area.

Then Vimeo did as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

What happened in 1833?

Andre Jute

O.K., so a private company like Twitter and YouTube excluding someone from its private platform is the Inquisition? Look at it this way, Twitter and YouTube are exercising their free speech rights, which includes the right to not speak or support the speech of others. Nobody got stretched on the rack, boiled in oil or thrown in the iron maiden, dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agaHP0eQHmU

-- Jay Beattie.

Andre Jute

-- Jay Beattie.

I was coming back to post on myself, but since you chimed-in -- I'll put it here. My partner just hit the news for standing up for MAGA hat wearers. https://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...-training.html Another interesting factoid, the Google case I linked cited to Lloyd Corporation v. Tanner, a case my partner Carl Neil argued in the SCOTUS. First Amendment issues come up with more regularity than you might think, particularly with anti-SLAPP suits and punitive damages based on expressive speech. Its one of the few constitutional amendments that makes it into civil practice.

-- Jay Beattie.

I do, and thus my objection to your claim that there is some free-speech right to pontificate or post cat videos on a private internet platform. Be careful for what you wish. Someone may claim a right to print a counter-statement on the back cover of Cold War, Hot Passions -- or Sinkhole. Whatever happened to private property? Are you a communist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 30th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:42:02 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 8:13:50 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

promising area.

Then Vimeo did as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

What happened in 1833?

Andre Jute

-- Jay Beattie.

Dude yourself, dickhead. If you were a real Liberal (like me for instance) you'd want Facebook, all the Alphabet companies surrounding Google like a defensive army, and of course Google itself, a very great malefactor, plus Amazon investigated for being vertical monopolies, charged, convicted and forced to break up so that there could be real competition, in which case, eventually, at long last you'd become right -- it's that poor blind squirrel eventually finding a nut, which so impressed you a few days ago.. As it is, Facebook and the clowns at Twitter etc pass social sentences of death because they dominate the market to such an extent that there is no room for anyone else to breathe; it's the electronic equivalent of the Amish curse of shunning. The effect of a handful of such monsters in the market has been known in the theoretical literature since 1933 when Joan Robinson first formulated the practical theory of oligopoly to stand beside the theory of monopoly: of course the practice of oligopoly was known since the time Standard Oil was inadequately broken up, but naming an describing it was and remains an important. Technically, oligopolists do not produce units below the marginal one in the hope of clearing the market; they operate at so few units above the marginal one that the capital cost -- and risk -- kills any possibility for startups, no matter how innovative, to take them on. Apple has already been burned by Robinson's ghost: in Apple v Pepper in 2019 the Supreme court used her monopsony formulation (about the one-sided wage-setting power of these huge oligopolies) to decide against Apple.

Andre Jute

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

I do, and thus my objection to your claim that there is some free-speech right to pontificate or post cat videos on a private internet platform.

I said no such thing. What I said was that if an oligopoly abuses their dominant position on the public airwaves to stop little old ladies publishing cat photos, the should be regulated, preferably down to such a size that plenty of competitors enter the market who will be only too happy to publish the little old lady's cat photos. Me, I'm for the little old lady, and her cat, before I'm for fat-cat hypocrites.

Be careful for what you wish. Someone may claim a right to print a counter-statement on the back cover of Cold War, Hot Passions -- or Sinkhole.

Of course they can claim the right. But they'll receive a right dusty answer from from my representatives, plus a list of the 101 finest broadsheets in the world, employing the finest literary critics, who didn't feel the need to make any such counter statement but would welcome the letters of amateurs and other lawyers in their letters column, where I, and the papers' own literary illuminati, will patiently patronise them. This is all about opportunity, see? Facebook, Twitter, Google, Amazon are closing out the opportunities for everyone else, and they're doing it by illegal means, if not recently enforced. In addition, there are thousands of lesser papers, blogs, throwaway papers and whatnot which would be delighted to receive a free article on how a semi-literate provincial solicitor doesn't like books he hasn't read, and probably wouldn't understand if he did read them. So those notional literary critics will, given only that they can spell simple words like "leech", have their opportunity handed to them on a silver platter, among others by me, which is exactly the opposite of the operations of your criminal pals at Facebook, Google, Twitter and Amazon.

-- Jay Beattie.

The whole point of being a Liberal, my kind anyway, is the pursuit of liberty for everyone, freedom of speech merely being the basis of all other liberties and, liberty being indivisible, therefore critical. Facebook and your other chums at Google, Twitter etc, are sitting on the face of liberty and laughing their fat arses off.

Wherever is Tom Kunich? He'd be amused at Jay's closet conservatism:

Jay Beattie, peaking out of the closet door:
Whatever happened to private property? Are you a communist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

Since you presume to give me advice, let me give you some. Be careful who you speak out for. There's a day of reckoning coming after the doors are unlocked, and lawyers are nobody's favourite citizens, indeed the larger part of the community consider that lawyers belong to the shark community.

Andre Jute
Are you having fun yet at Re-Education Camp Donkey? I am!
Old May 1st 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster

sms wrote:
On 4/29/2020 6:32 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 15:18:10 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

promising area.

Then Vimeo did as well.

I would ask, is this company's UV system approved for use in the U.S.?
From what I read the only product Aytu "product" that is licensed for
use is " the AYTU kit as made by Zhejiang Orient Gene Biotech
(Zhejiang, China) and to be sold/distributed to N. America by AYTU
Biosciences is right in the list- with notation, "Under an EUA"
(Emergency Use Approval)."

It is not approved and the company has warned against its use for
Covid-19. So of course the fans of the "stable genius" have have latched
onto it.

Treating lung tissue with U/V light to kill they coronavirus would appear
to be difficult on two fronts. First, the inside of the lung is a fractal
arrangement of bronchi and alveoli, such that it might be very difficult to
actually expose the entire surface of the lung to light. Secondly, you have
to strike a balance between hitting it with enough U/V to kill the virus
without causing a sunburn on your lungs. So, possibly worthy of
investigation, but not a slam-dunk by any means.