Trek Madone 6.9

Old May 12th 20, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Trek Madone 6.9

On 5/12/2020 2:32 AM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2020 19:39:15 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Not only Trek BTW. The most American-content automobile is a Toyota. No
one believes that either even though it's true.

Are the components made there or just the final product assembled there?

I was wrong, as Mr Scharf noted. Currently, others have more
domestic content which is judged by total value of all the
various components.

And yes, an assembly facility is usually surrounded by a
host of component makers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 12th 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/11/2020 8:07 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/11/2020 5:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Not only Trek BTW. The most American-content automobile
is a Toyota. No one believes that either even though it's
true.

It's not true. In fact Toyota doesn't even have any vehicles
in the top 10.
https://static.carsdn.co/cldstatic/wp-content/uploads/AMI19_rank-chart..jpg

Thank you. My, that's changed a lot the past few years.
Underlying data he

https://www.american.edu/kogod/resea...auto-index.cfm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Well, a lot of components in the Ford F-150, by far the largest selling vehicle in the US (who would have believed that?) are manufactured in Mexico. Jeep I believe is now a subsidiary of Land Rover.

So the point of "American made" should be North American made and most parts in Chevys come from China don't they?
Old May 12th 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/11/2020 8:07 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Jeep is a Fiat brand.

Old May 12th 20, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 5/11/2020 8:07 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I looked that up and it is weird because I can distinctly remember them talking about Jeep being sold to Land Rover and it stuck in my head because locally there is a jerk driving a Land Rover that has to be 10 feet wide. It's lot of fun being on the road with him.
Old May 13th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2020 6:28 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/12/2020 2:32 AM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2020 19:39:15 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Not only Trek BTW.Â* The most American-content automobile is a Toyota. No
one believes that either even though it's true.

Are the components made there or just the final product assembled there?

I was wrong, as Mr Scharf noted. Currently, others have more domestic
content which is judged by total value of all the various components.

And yes, an assembly facility is usually surrounded by a host of
component makers.

The domestic content law is quite convoluted, including the meaning of
"domestic." The percentage of domestic components is one thing, but
there's also where the final product is assembled.

Bottom line is that you're better off just looking at where the vehicle
was assembled. Slowly, the major components are being made domestically
as well as the final product.

Old May 13th 20, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 12 May 2020 08:28:16 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/12/2020 2:32 AM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2020 19:39:15 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Not only Trek BTW. The most American-content automobile is a Toyota.
No one believes that either even though it's true.

Are the components made there or just the final product assembled
there?

I was wrong, as Mr Scharf noted. Currently, others have more domestic
content which is judged by total value of all the various components.

And yes, an assembly facility is usually surrounded by a host of
component makers.

FWIW, 20 miles away is one of those here who supplies Ford in the USA.
Well, he did a decade ago, but he was experiencing quality problems from
his chinese casters and was explaining that after having casting made in
China(cheaper than here), he now had to ship them back to Australia for
quality assurance and final assembly before finally shipping them here.

Old May 13th 20, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/13/2020 12:23 AM, news18 wrote:
[...]

Yes, I am all too familiar!

After four failures and some detective work I discovered
that all three major US suppliers of cam gear for my engine
buy the same chinese gear blank:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/140cam34.jpg

There is one speed shop in Los Angeles who make an entirely
US cam gear for hardly much extra cost, especially
considering the huge expense of a full engine rebuild and
extraneous damage after cam gear failure. I'm sure your
neighbor found excessive freight and inspection costs offset
a big chunk of his 'saving' in dealing with the 'middle
finger kingdom'.

Old May 13th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2020 6:28 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/12/2020 2:32 AM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2020 19:39:15 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Not only Trek BTW.Â* The most American-content automobile is a Toyota. No
one believes that either even though it's true.

Are the components made there or just the final product assembled there?

I was wrong, as Mr Scharf noted. Currently, others have more domestic
content which is judged by total value of all the various components.

And yes, an assembly facility is usually surrounded by a host of
component makers.

A couple of years ago I had a contract job at a company in Fremont, very
near the Tesla factory. We needed some machine shop CNC work and it was
impossible to find any machine shop to take on some simple prototype
work because every shop was going flat out doing Tesla jobs as Tesla
struggled to ramp up production. We finally found someone with a CNC
mill in their garage who squeezed us in. Prior to Tesla, a lot of those
small machine shops were struggling trying to keep their CNC machines
going. Now that Tesla has appeared to have worked out their
manufacturing issues I doubt if they're still using all that capacity
from small machine shops.
Old May 13th 20, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:45:11 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

Imagine the financial devastation that the moving of Tesla is going to cause. Elon Musk has had all of the smart-ass ignorance of Alameda County Supervisors he is going to take and all it is going to take is a Deputy showing up at his doorway with a cease and desist order and Fremont will die in less than a year.
Old May 13th 20, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2020 9:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

full engine rebuild and extraneous damage after cam gear failure.Â* I'm
sure your neighbor found excessive freight and inspection costs offset a
big chunk of his 'saving' in dealing with the 'middle finger kingdom'.

Wow - so the hub sheared right out of the gear?

Are the shapes identical, meaning it's a casting or metallurgy problem?
Or is the cheaper one visibly thinner, etc.?

I was once hired to testify in an arbitration between two companies. It
was a similar failure, but a weldment with parts about 30 times larger.
I pointed out that the company that built the part had welded the hub in
place, then machined almost all the weld away, causing the failure.

The arbitrator in charge said "But wouldn't the remaining weld withstand
_some_ torque?"

Yes - and if they stuck it on with chewing gum, it would withstand
_some_ torque. But the arbitrator used the "_some_ torque" idea to
reduce my client's award.

--
- Frank Krygowski

WTB: Trek Madone 52 cm Mike Bricker Marketplace 0 May 13th 07 08:56 PM
trek madone wanted to buy Mike Bricker Marketplace 0 May 13th 07 08:52 PM
TREK Madone 5.5 - Best Buy ?? Dogfighting Racing 4 August 16th 06 06:17 AM
Trek Madone doki UK 0 May 25th 05 09:55 PM
Trek Madone 5.9 or 5.9 SL Andrew Martin Techniques 54 October 4th 04 02:50 AM