Cartridge square taper BB 4 a Adamas AX square taper crank?

Old May 15th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cartridge square taper BB 4 a Adamas AX square taper crank?

On Friday, 15 May 2020 11:23:04 UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 15 May 2020 10:51:28 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/15/2020 9:28 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 15 May 2020 09:29:13 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/15/2020 7:10 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 15 May 2020 05:46:34 UTC-4, Tosspot wrote:
On 14/05/2020 20:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone know if there's a Shimano square taper CARTRIDGE bottom bracket that I can put a square taper Shimano Adamax AX crankset on? My buddy wants one. I have a Shimano Cartridge BB-UN51 but is seems as if the taper is different on it than on the crankset and thus the crankarms slide all the way to the shoulder of the spindle and the crankarms can be wiggled.
So, 1, are the tapers different and 2, is there a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket that'll work with the Adamas AX crankset?

Thanks and cheers

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

That's a great source but unfortunately the PDF documents I have show a splined bottom bracket not a square taper one. Thus I don't know if it's ISO or JIS but I think it must be an ISO one.

Cheers

Adamas? Not splined:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr.../sh_FCAD11.jpg

Splined would be a Shimano Selecta crank

The bottom bracket in those images looks a lot like the splined Selecta crank. Note the splines in the images especially the one in the top right hand corner.

I looked at my crank to get the model number but the number is hidden by the chainrings and pant guard. I'm not about to take it apart just to see that number.

The chainring assembly splines to the crank but
crank-to-spindle is square, note image of crank & spindle,
lower right.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Thanks again Andrew.

The crankset I have has the chainring spider swagged onto the crankarm. The more I look at this unit and the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's even an Adamas AX crankset.

Cheers

Edit.

The bike this came off of had Adamas AX brakeset and a rear derailleur that sort of looked like Adamas AX but used an outer cable housingunlike the Adamas AX ones I have here. The derailleur has Altus AX engrave on the outer body and GJ on the inner body. Top of the cage says Shimano Centeron.

Perhaps this crankset is also an Altus AX one?

Cheers
Old May 15th 20, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 2:46:34 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 14/05/2020 20:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone know if there's a Shimano square taper CARTRIDGE bottom bracket that I can put a square taper Shimano Adamax AX crankset on? My buddy wants one. I have a Shimano Cartridge BB-UN51 but is seems as if the taper is different on it than on the crankset and thus the crankarms slide all the way to the shoulder of the spindle and the crankarms can be wiggled.
So, 1, are the tapers different and 2, is there a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket that'll work with the Adamas AX crankset?

Thanks and cheers

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

I don't believe that Phil Wood makes cartridge square taper bottom brackets anymore though perhaps you can get a special order.
Old May 15th 20, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 10:34:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 2:46:34 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 14/05/2020 20:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone know if there's a Shimano square taper CARTRIDGE bottom bracket that I can put a square taper Shimano Adamax AX crankset on? My buddy wants one. I have a Shimano Cartridge BB-UN51 but is seems as if the taper is different on it than on the crankset and thus the crankarms slide all the way to the shoulder of the spindle and the crankarms can be wiggled.
So, 1, are the tapers different and 2, is there a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket that'll work with the Adamas AX crankset?

Thanks and cheers

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

I don't believe that Phil Wood makes cartridge square taper bottom brackets anymore though perhaps you can get a special order.

Phil Wood & Co. disagrees with you:

https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/c...ottom-brackets Apparently you indicate offset in the check-out.

You can get them direct from ModernBike.com: https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...iABEgJPifD_BwE

The price of the Phil BB would probably exceed the value of the bike in question.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 15th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/15/2020 1:44 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

We sell them, although not as many as we once did. Still an
in-stock item here.

Old May 16th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 15 May 2020 05:10:07 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

See
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...8-9de236236248

which seems to list a Shimano BB-SL31 bottom bracket as usable with
the Adamas AX group. But noted as "Specialized BB specifically for the
ADAMAS AX series cranks: FC-AD11 / 21 /22." and " Base level of the
'AX' groupsets produced by Shimano, the Adamas group was supposed to
be a touring minded group. It ended up being only produced for a few
years."

The date seems to be "1983"

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 16th 20, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 3:54:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I don't know why Phil & Co. (post-Phil) could not generate the same fan base as Chris King. Phil lovers are old farts and not super-hipsters with killer-bee freehubs.

CK was like Ford Motors of Portland for a while, although that cratered for a number of reasons, mostly because of CK. I think T47 is giving them some new revenue.

Going back to Tom's criticism of the younger set, I wonder why one of Phil's kids didn't take over the business. His youngest son, Barrie, was a friend of mine throughout my public school years in Los Gatos. I used to see him later in life at the shop, but apparently he wasn't interested in the business.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 16th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

[...]

I was wrong.

I blew up the image until it was clear that the 'square' on
the crank arm in the catalog is a lighting effect. The hole
in the arm is not visible in the image at all.

The BB-SL31 spindle splines can be seen at about 4x original
size. Adamas AD-11 and AD-22 are indeed spline systems.