Favorite biking snacks?

Old May 29th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Favorite biking snacks?

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 2:50:43 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 27/5/20 3:58 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we
took various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But
somehow, with changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to
have gotten out of that snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife
didn't bonk, but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I
happened to find a gel packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It
helped noticeably; so we should get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a
medical infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually
stopping the bike to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I prefer
to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

Bananas and fruit cake.

I've never found bananas to work for me and I certainly couldn't carry fruitcake unless I was fruitcake. I use something called a "Protein bar" Composed of sugar, mostly peanuts and chocolate. But Powerbars work just as well, digest a little faster and cost less.
Old May 29th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

John B. writes:

On Thu, 28 May 2020 22:58:12 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

John B. writes:

On Thu, 28 May 2020 09:32:06 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/28/2020 12:42 AM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2020 20:53:35 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 5:38:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Paydays are excellent when you need some fast calories and don't mind
chewing a bit.

Unlike Jay I still have all of my teeth.

And why do you think Jay doesn't have a full complement of teeth?
He is an attorney. So I am guessing he makes at least the median
US income. So he should be able to afford a dental insurance
plan. He is an independent attorney, not employed by a firm. So
he does have to purchase his own plan. But I assume there are
insurance plans available to attorneys offices. So he is probably
able to get dental insurance through work, sort of, if he cannot
purchase a dental plan as an individual.

A serious question here. Can't the average USian afford dental care
without an insurance plan?

In 1965 the ADA opted out of many new government programs,
unlike AMA. Hence there are still reasonably priced cash
dentists. Not so much for MDs.

I was wondering as when I lived there was no real problem in "going to
the dentist" but I read above the mention of "Dental Insurance".

Dental insurance, or a dental care plan, or whatever really doesn't
change much in my experience. Simple cavities and preventive care are
reasonably affordable for those with good jobs, but the upper limit of
dental expenses has gone way up. My wife got a mouthful of implants a
few years ago, and it cost enough to buy a better car than I have ever
considered having. I had dental insurance through my employer, which
paid very little, and made no difference whatsoever in choosing a course
of treatment.

The alternative, of course, would have been dentures, which are still
much, much better than gumming all your food.

Some years ago I contemplated implants but in researching it seemed
that they install a metal stud and then wait for a period to ensure
that it becomes firmly attached and then add the "denture". But if the
initial stud doesn't become firmly attached than they remove the stud
and go no further. Or at least that was the way it was explained to
me. I thought about a mouth full of studs some of which were good and
could "hold" a tooth, and some of which couldn't be used and would be
replaced by what? Some sort of denture? And decided against them.

That's my understanding. My wife had to have some bone grafts to seal up
the hole that would otherwise be made in her sinuses. The implants all
"took", but some not in exactly the intended spots, so our regular
dentist had to do a lot of work faffing around with the bridge to go on
the implants. First she had to heal for a bit, carefully avoiding any
smiles that might show the freakish titanium implants, then she wore a
temporary bridge, which kept falling off, then finally she wore the
permanent bridge with temporary cement, so it could be tweaked. The
original plan was to have something that screwed on, but that didn't
work out because of how the implants actually seated.

For months after she started wearing the new teeth I had trouble
understanding her, I guess the lips didn't slide right and she developed
a lisp. Now, however, all seems well and I hear no complaints.

Incidentally, it's possible to get implants in the US for nothing, if
you play your cards right. My brother went to dental school in Kansas
City, and described the competition for volunteer patients around the
time the dental class sought certification. They have to perform a
number of procedures under supervision as a test, and need to find their
own patients to allow it. If he was not exaggerating it seems that most
of the homeless population of Kansas City may well have implants by now.

As for gumming your food... it depends greatly on what sort of food
you are eating :-) Chocolate cake, for example, gums quite well :-)

I would really hate to have to live on chocolate cake. I would rather chew
raw field corn like Mr. Muzi.
Old May 29th 20, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

writes:

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:02:01 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[ ... ]

For a glorious week or so very soon, we should have mulberry trees full
of berries, which are my favorite "found" snack while cycling.

I don't know how common these are in other areas. I once came across a
thicket of them in Iowa, but nowhere else I remember. I've been told
they are more common here because some of our many Italian immigrants
loved them.

An alternative theory is that they're descendants of a mulberry craze in
Connecticut in the early 1800s. Our area was, pre-1776, part of
Connecticut, according to Connecticut's charter. (That was disputed by
Virginia.) The "Connecticut Western Reserve" was retained by that state
for a while when the Northwest Ordinance made Ohio a possibility. So
this area was first settled by folks from Connecticut.

Mulberries are tasty, sweet and very messy. About this time of year I'll
return home from a ride with dark blue stains on my gloves and cycling
shoes.

Most immigrants brought all sorts of plants of what they considered
food plants and trees. Near where I live is an area called Cherryland
which used to be acres and acres of farmed cherries which is from Asia
via the Greeks moving to the USA. My area used to be thick with Fennel
brought by Italian immigrants. For reasons unknown to sane people,
they replaced the chopped down coastal redwoods with Eucalyptus from
Australia. These are a pox upon the Earth and are the largest fire
hazards in the area.

Eucalyptus is pretty simple -- it grows much faster than redwood. They
are a huge fire hazard.

Other introduced species rarely thought of: honeybees are an old world
import, and earthworms were apparently missing from much of post-glacial
North America; they have been spread by agriculture to almost everywhere
they might grow by now.

Olive trees brought here from Spain and then Italy and
Croatia. Sunflowers and beets from France. Beets used for sugar began
in California in 1830.

Most of the native American food plants have disappeared and
biodiversity across the globe has disappeared.

Many have been spread all over the world: corn, tomatoes, potatoes, hot
peppers, chocolate ... Not so many from the current US, but
Jerusalem artichokes for one.
Old May 29th 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I did it once which was enough. blecchhh.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 30th 20, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

My middle step daughter had that and repairing left her with a permanent nasal sound that and she cannot pronounce some words properly.
Old May 30th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 10:25:29 AM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
writes:

[...]

They were SAID to grow faster than Redwoods and that is why they were planted to replace the coastal redwoods that were cut down for construction material. However. as you say, they are HUGE fire hazards filling the entire area with dry sluffed off bark, their lumber is unusuable since it shrinks and cracks with drying and that cannot be remedied making the wood weak and useless. And they really do not grow faster than redwoods after a certain age.
Old May 30th 20, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Raw Field Corn? Well, I suppose although that is usually intended as
animal feed :-) But raw "sweet corn", that is corn intended for human
consumption, is quite good raw. As a kid I ate a lot of it and it is
best a bit before it is fully mature while the kernels are still not a
bright yellow.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 30th 20, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 29 May 2020 16:39:50 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

They were SAID to grow faster than Redwoods and that is why they were
planted to replace the coastal redwoods that were cut down for
construction material. However. as you say, they are HUGE fire hazards
filling the entire area with dry sluffed off bark, their lumber is
unusuable since it shrinks and cracks with drying and that cannot be
remedied making the wood weak and useless.

Don't tell the Austalians this, they have been using them for centuries
until the modern fad for ****ty Pinus radiata in housing and everywhere
else.

Do you know which species they grow?

Old May 30th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 29 May 2020 08:45:24 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

wrote:

Paydays are excellent when you need some fast calories and don't
mind chewing a bit.

Unlike Jay I still have all of my teeth.

And why do you think Jay doesn't have a full complement of teeth? He
is an attorney. So I am guessing he makes at least the median US
income. So he should be able to afford a dental insurance plan. He is
an independent attorney, not employed by a firm. So he does have to
purchase his own plan. But I assume there are insurance plans
available to attorneys offices. So he is probably able to get dental
insurance through work, sort of, if he cannot purchase a dental plan as
an individual.

That is a joke Russell, you should learn to recognize them. They occur
often in polite society. Not everything in the world is worthy of
serious discussion.

Lol, a rare admission from tommy that has has been clearly caught out,
but not really rare, as admitted elsewhere tommy is loosing hs teeth and
having them replaced with implants. The old mirror trick from tommy.
Old May 30th 20, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Haven't you been paying attention? It's an r.b.t classic.

Well, I suppose although that is usually intended as
animal feed :-) But raw "sweet corn", that is corn intended for human
consumption, is quite good raw. As a kid I ate a lot of it and it is
best a bit before it is fully mature while the kernels are still not a
bright yellow.

what's your favorite protein bar? webdevguy Racing 1 January 15th 09 04:44 PM
My new favorite (again) uni accessory tomblackwood Unicycling 19 February 6th 08 10:15 PM
Favorite multitool DeF Australia 1 April 17th 07 07:34 AM
RR: The old favorite GeeDubb Mountain Biking 12 February 27th 06 08:22 PM
Your Favorite MTB Al Kubeluis Mountain Biking 20 January 24th 05 08:06 PM