Your Favorite MTB

Old January 20th 05, 10:16 PM
Al Kubeluis

Default Your Favorite MTB

MTBers,

What are your favorite types of mtbs (suspension, etc.) and favorite
mtbs for various terrains and purposes (as racing, cruising)?

Al
Old January 20th 05, 10:24 PM

Over the past 5 years I've gotten a new bike every 6 months or so. Most
of the time I will sell or trade one to get another. I've had
everything from a 5 inch travel bike front and rear, to a rigid single
speed. I've currently got a Giant NRS and a Redline Monocog single
speed. I love them both, just depends on what I feel like riding.

Old January 21st 05, 12:32 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Al Kubeluis:
What are your favorite types of mtbs (suspension, etc.) and favorite
mtbs for various terrains and purposes (as racing, cruising)?

I've never ridden a 4-bar link and my riding is more JRA than MTB, but I do
quite a bit of it (like 2-3 hours/day 4 days a week).

I've been through two swing arms (Cannondale Jekyll and Ellsworth Isis/Romic
shock) and am now riding a Maverick (Seven Duo).

The Jekyll and Isis swing arms were good, but for me the Maverick is a whole
quantum leap ahead of them.

Like I said, my riding isn't that demanding....but what stands out in the
Maverick for me is the almost total lack of bob. It's really about 93% to being
a hardtail on the climbs; yet it does what I need it to do on the bumps.

I know there has tb *some* bob bc my crude/square pedaling style gets the edges
rounded off of it a little bit compared to riding a hardtail with the same
forks....but on either of the swing arm bikes, I never even knew I had anything
but a perfectly smooth spin - i.e. their bob was soaking up all the squareness
of my stroke.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 21st 05, 03:30 AM
J G

What are your favorite types of mtbs (suspension, etc.) and

favorite
mtbs for various terrains and purposes (as racing, cruising)?

29"er Single Speed (disc) hard tail VanDessel Buzz Bomb w/ Marzocchi.
Rolls over everything, as sure foooted as a billygoat, climbs like a
crack-whore, carves the corners like Alton Brown carves a turkey.
Ohh..... I so much _-NEED-_ a ride.

Old January 21st 05, 03:39 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Al Kubeluis wrote:
MTBers,

What are your favorite types of mtbs (suspension, etc.) and favorite
mtbs for various terrains and purposes (as racing, cruising)?

Al

Different bikes for different rides. I can't say I have a real
favorite, but for most of the riding around these parts it would be the
Titus Racer-X. Smooth, fast, agile, and climbs like no tomorrow. When
the going get's rough (i.e. Jim Thorpe), the Ellsworth Id is my choice.
While others are struggling down the hill on every bumb, the thing
just sails over every single rock and I never feel like I'm going to
bust it in half. Of course, I pay the penalty going up.

I've had many other's that I've tried, used, some I liked, and some I
didn't. The only bike I owned that I couldn't stand was my GT iDrive
2.0. Yuck! All the bikes I actually ride have been FS. A SS hardtail
is on it's way and I am sure that is going to be an interesting experience.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old January 21st 05, 03:39 AM
Slacker

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:30:39 GMT, J G wrote:

What are your favorite types of mtbs (suspension, etc.) and

favorite
mtbs for various terrains and purposes (as racing, cruising)?

29"er Single Speed (disc) hard tail VanDessel Buzz Bomb w/ Marzocchi.
Rolls over everything, as sure foooted as a billygoat, climbs like a
crack-whore, carves the corners like Alton Brown carves a turkey.
Ohh..... I so much _-NEED-_ a ride.

I happen to know that crack-whores can't climb for poo, but go DH well.

--
Slacker
Old January 21st 05, 03:45 AM
Slacker

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:39:28 -0500, Ride-A-Lot =

wrote:

The only bike I owned that I couldn't stand was my GT iDrive 2.0. Yuc=

k! =

What, a mighty i-drive hater!?!?!? What's next, listening (daily) to NPR=
??

-- =

Slacker
Old January 21st 05, 03:48 AM
Ride-A-Lot

wrote:

The only bike I owned that I couldn't stand was my GT iDrive 2.0. Yuck!

What, a mighty i-drive hater!?!?!? What's next, listening (daily) to NPR??

Thanks. Made my day! ROTFLMA!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old January 21st 05, 08:31 AM
Shaun aRe

"Al Kubeluis" wrote in message
MTBers,

What are your favorite types of mtbs (suspension, etc.) and favorite
mtbs for various terrains and purposes (as racing, cruising)?

Al

Base hard-tail frame, Hope brakes, Marzocchi forks, Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6
tyres on Mavic D521 rims laced to Shimano flangeless hubs, , various other
bits etc.

For everything.

Why?

Shaun aRe